Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Amazon Fire (New Amazon Tablet)

MattFancy

I might pull the trigger on the new Kindle. Have a 2nd gen Kindle right now. The brightness of the screen is a huge problem for me on it. Haven't used it in a while because the only time I can get to read is late at night but I gotta keep the lights bright just to see the screen on the 2nd gen. Instead of investing in a cover with those flip lights, I might go ahead and get the 3rd gen now.

Agreed. Sure it may not have a camera like the iPad2, but Amazon is just as good if not better than iTunes. Plus the price is $300 less.

Amazon cloud is pretty darn good. If you could put Google music on there too, that would be great. That way you won't have to store any music on the device. I don't really care for the mic or camera. I don't do all the video chat stuff anyway. Plus its the first gen tablet for Amazon. I'm sure they'll add it in future releases

Amazon cloud is pretty darn good. If you could put Google music on there too, that would be great. That way you won't have to store any music on the device. I don't really care for the mic or camera. I don't do all the video chat stuff anyway. Plus its the first gen tablet for Amazon. I'm sure they'll add it in future releases

I would imagine there's an app for Google Music, there is now currently. So you're right, you wouldn't have to store anything on the device except for books really.

I was reading that it's a re-badged HP touchpad with WebOS removed and Android put on. Not bad hardware for that price. I'll be curious to read some reviews on the readability as well as the gui. I tried using kindle apps and the screens my netbook and desktops just aren't easy on the eyes like my kindle (2nd gen).

How can it be the HP touchpad re-branded if the HP touchpad is a 9.7" tablet and the Kindle fire is 7"? They also use 2 different processors

This is what I have now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FQJT3Q?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1

That's the 3rd generation; the latest gen. 6" screen there. More than enough. Perfect imo. (Yes I'm gay for the Kindle.)

See when I read 7" device I was thinking the entire unit, not just screen size, with margins that seemed small.

and yeah, I see the innuendos too.

How can it be the HP touchpad re-branded if the HP touchpad is a 9.7" tablet and the Kindle fire is 7"? They also use 2 different processors

That's what I get for relying on my memory. It's similar parts to some RIM products, not HP.

The Kindle Fire, which is Amazon's official name for its tablet, will feature a 7-inch backlit display that reportedly looks similar to the BlackBerry PlayBook. The reason for this is because it was designed by original design manufacturer Quanta instead of Amazon's in-house team as a way of speeding up the development process...

http://www.dailytech.com/Amazon+to+Unveil+Kindle+Fire+Tablet+This+Week/article22848.htm

See when I read 7" device I was thinking the entire unit, not just screen size, with margins that seemed small.

and yeah, I see the innuendos too.

Hah, didn't even notice until you said something right now. I really do have something subconscious going on. (I'm sick, literally, so my mind is kind of in a fog.)

Anyway...

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/09/amazon-fires-barrage-at-apple-cheap-kindle-touch-kindle-tablet-kindle/245827/

Amazon Fires Barrage at Apple: Cheap Kindle, Touch Kindle, Tablet Kindle

SEP 28 2011, 11:38 AM ET

Let's start with the bottom line: Amazon's announcements this morning were the most important in the gadget world since Apple announced the iPad on January 27, 2010. With the announcement of a $79 regular Kindle, $99 touch-enabled Kindle, and $199 Kindle Fire tablet, Amazon set itself up for a Christmas clash with Apple's iOS juggernaut. While many tablet contenders have come at Apple, few can throw as many punches as Amazon.

Amazon can hit Apple high with the Kindle Fire, which is the first non-Apple tablet that will offer as integrated a media service as Apple's ecosystem does. And it even comes with a hard-to-believe-but-awesome-if-it-works feature that Apple doesn't have: cloud-enhanced web browsing. The Fire will supposedly offer better mobile browsing because it offloads the computationally intensive bits off to Amazon's cloud computing service.

Amazon can hit Apple low with the $79 Kindle. Because so many gadgets are sold to price-insensitive early adopters, we all tend to underestimate the effect that a sub-$100 price has. The lower the price, the bigger the market. For tablet owners like myself, the new Kindle could be that cheaper device we carry on the subway or to the gym. For people who don't own an e-reading device, a device that is substantially below the $100 barrier may be just the move they need to make the switch to digital reading. HP couldn't move many Touchpads at $400, but at $99 they sold out so quickly that online retailers had to refund people's money because sales outstripped supply. For the mass-market, a double-digit purchase feels more accessible.

Amazon can also hit Apple on the weight of the iPad 2. The iPad weighs 21.6 ounces. The Kindle fire weighs 14.6 ounces. It doesn't seem like a lot, but when you're reading with one hand. those 7 ounces are big. Put it this way: the iPad is the weight of a sizeable hardcover book while the Kindle Fire is the weight of a paperback. Which do you like to carry around more?

Unlike other companies who are trying to knock off the iPad, Amazon seems to have a strategy here that plays to its strengths: readers, cloud computing, e-retailing, end-to-end media services. If nothing else, that should make Amazon a real competitor. You get the sense from the company that they are trying to do something rather than copycatting something that's worked.

There could be some downsides to the new Kindle plan. By splitting its offerings for consumers, they may lose some of the branding focus they could have had with less products. Apple, in phones and tablets, has been successful with its laser-like focus on the iPhone and iPad. But then again, in music players, Apple's differentiated its players for years. The bigger problem may be that the Kindle Fire can't live up to the expectations that Amazon has created. Based on its specs, it's not all that different from the failed tablets that came before it. What if the implicit comparisons people make between it and the iPad make its capabilities seem lackluster?

No matter what, with the low prices on its gadgets, the company is sure to push millions more of its portable cash registers e-readers into consumers' hands in the coming months.

Your move, Apple.

amazon-kindle-fire-tablet-thumb-615x483-64602.jpg

since i already have an iPad, i'm more interested in Amazon slashing the price of the kindle, as well as possibly making Apple come down on price even a little bit on future products. they haven't really done that in the past, but i feel the tablet market is more competitive than the PC market, so they may actually have to do it.

it's hard to top the reading experience on the kindle thats for sure.

Amazon is great. They have great customer service and the kindle is the best device to do your reading on. What I'm really excited about is Amazon Silk. Thats the browser they are using on the Fire which will be doing the rendering on amazons server so that your content will load faster. No more being the second guy to post the same thing as the guy above you on Extremeskins. You'll be the first!!!. That is until everyone has a Kindle Fire lol

My wife had just purchased a kindle 3G. We are going to pre-order the kindle fire and return it.

The Kindle 3 has an E-ink display which makes reading so much better then an LCD screen like the iPad, Xoom or Fire. So it all depends on what she will really use it for. If its only going to be strictly for reading, probably stiick with the kindle. If she is going to be surfing the web, listening to music, watching movies and using it as a reader, then go with the Fire.

• 5 months later...

Finally got a tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131230. Have to say it's the perfect size, the 7 are too small and the 10 are too big but 8.9 is perfect. I can read without enlarging the text usually and the screen is beautiful. I figure a new iPad is a lot more screen but also a lot bigger and heavier. It's going to fit the bill much better than my old netbook with just about the same screen size but it's amazingly smaller and lighter.

My first thought was to wait for a windows 8 tablet but they're too slow on the uptake and I needed something. Got this one refurbed (s I can hopefully sell it and get a W8 based tablet) on Newegg for a little over 3 bills and it looks brand new. Curiously, I had to change the time zone...not from the usual pacific default but from Afghanistan's time zone. Made me goosebump a little when I first realized that. I hope somebody just didn't like it.

Still need the Kindle. One thing that bugs me about it, and maybe someone knows a solution, is the lack of pics and the smallness of the ones they do include. Not important for most novels but I've been reading history lately and the maps/tables, etc are important. I've been looking up some sort of replacement image on the pc but you can't always find them. Amazon needs to find a way to deal with that.

Didn't want to start a new thread and this was the closest to a general discussion about tablets among the existing threads.

Forgot about this thread.

I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas and I love it. Sure it doesn't have a Camera or as big of a HD as an iPad, but it does everything I want. The best part is putting some of my apps from my Android phone onto it. Anyone else have one?

Archived