Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per nfl.com stats: We are leading the NFL in time of possession

KCasady

We are also the best team in the league with the least penalties and penalty yards allowed. This is the best stat IMO that reflects on the coaching.

When you stick to the run, whether it works (Cards game) or whether is a grind (Gmen game) you can control the clock.

That was my knock on Kyle last year, but it seems this year we have re-committed to this. It also doesn't help when you start the year with 2 RBs (Portis and Johnson) who were clearly done.

---------- Post added September-19th-2011 at 07:34 PM ----------

Oh yea, and the fact that we are finally converting 3rd downs.

Yesterday was ridiculous in the fact that we had some outrageous TOP (something around 40 minutes give or take); dominated all other major stats; yet couldn't score for jack and nearly lost out to a team we never should of.

A real anomaly of a game.

Hail.

I agree the red zone scoring was below par-to say the least- yesterday. Hopefully they get that sorted out this week because if we don't come out firing against Dallas, we might not be able to rally like we did against the Cardinals.

Although i do have to say that touchdown to Moss on the 4th and 5 was B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L. That play definitely changed the tides.

Total score is the only stat that really matters. TOP is nice, impressive, and good, but if it does not translate into actual points, then it is useless.

While that is true, when you do it in a fashion the 'skins did yesterday TOP will eventually wear the opposing defense out. Couple that with fewer turnovers and better redzone offense and the game is a blowout.

The fact that we are doing what we are doing with so many new parts on both sides of the ball is very impressive IMO. That can't be over-stated. Just keep it up 'skins!

While that is true, when you do it in a fashion the 'skins did yesterday TOP will eventually wear the opposing defense out. Couple that with fewer turnovers and better redzone offense and the game is a blowout.

The fact that we are doing what we are doing with so many new parts on both sides of the ball is very impressive IMO. That can't be over-stated. Just keep it up 'skins!

You are, of course absolutely correct. In my own poor, inept way, this is what I was trying to say.

Yesterday was ridiculous in the fact that we had some outrageous TOP (something around 40 minutes give or take); dominated all other major stats; yet couldn't score for jack and nearly lost out to a team we never should of.

A real anomaly of a game.

Hail.

yeah yesterday was more usual redskins for what im used to. If (and its a huge if) rex can cut out some of the turnovers we'll do better. im just not sure he can.

TOP is huge, not only does it tire out the other team, it means less snaps for your defense, more rest. TOP will be huge against teams like the eagles, NE and any other high scoring teams. The less posessions they get the less they going to score. Sure scores are the ulitmate prize, but there are plenty of other bonuses from holding the ball.

Leading in TOP will generate wins provided we win the turnover battle as well

One doesn't go without the other with much success

We limit the turnovers, we keep grinding it out with the 1-2 punch and this team will score points and we will win a lot of games

The stat I really like is the penalties one, that shows me everyones bought in

Archived