Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BGO.C.D. - 'There Be Giants'

Tarhog

In the child-like imaginations of Washington Redskins fans, there are monsters and behemoths out there. Gargantuan, menacing, all-powerful – the NFL is full of goliaths we have rarely been able to bruise, much less bring down, on Sunday.

We’ve certainly enjoyed photoshopping drunken pictures of Eli Manning, but it’s the New York Giants who’ve enjoyed our matchups. No other arch rival has dominated their nemesis as completely as the Giants have owned the Redskins. On the road, at home, the setting has mattered little. The Giants win…the Giants win.

The truth is a cold, hard, heartless *****.

One of those clashes has stuck with me like a bad childhood memory. I was in New York October 30th, 2005 to cover the game for Extremeskins.com with Rick Walker. It was a surprisingly cold day – I remember Mark Brunell and the other Redskins warming up in sweats that looked all the world like ‘jammies’. The Redskins were seemingly renewed, 4-2 in Joe Gibb’s 2nd season since his return, and things looked promising. Running around pre-game in their comfy flannel warm-ups, the Skins starters looked confident and self-assured. Lucky enough to run into Ron Jaworski (my favorite non-Redskin ever) in the Press Box before the game, I asked him if he had any predictions. ‘I have a good feeling about the Redskins today. This is going to be their coming out party’. I expected a great day.

3 hours and 36 unanswered Giants points later, Jaws, Rick Walker, and I skulked humbly out of the Meadowlands.

Epic prediction fail.

That was one of the worst losses the Redskins have faced against the Giants in 10 years of painful submission. But there have been many others. In 10 years, the Redskins have only managed to prevail 5 times out of 20. Recent history has been even more unkind with the Giants winning (often convincingly) 9 of the last 10 matchups.

Ouch.

The curse of the G-Men has, if not mortally, certainly wounded the psyche of Redskins fans. The Redskins enter their 2011 season opener against the dreaded Giants renewed, youthful, and optimistic. There are gaps on this team, most notably at quarterback, but fans across DC, Maryland, and Virginia are starting to believe that Bruce Allen and the Shanahan boys may well know what they are doing. But when it comes to predicting the outcome of the latest home clash against the G-Men, fans of the Burgundy and Gold seem to be downright ‘sheepish’.

‘The homer in me says 24-19 Redskins. The realist in me says 25-15 Giants’

‘We lose 41-13’

‘Yea, I hesitate to pick us against the Giants, for the simple fact that we've done far worse against them in recent years, than against our other 2 rivals. The Giants have owned us unlike any other team’

‘I know I am going to hear it from some of the more optimistic of our crew, but I have finally been soured enough that I have removed the B&G glasses once and for all'Maybe we don't get beaten so badly, but I think they win convincingly’

' I think we put up a better fight against the Giants in Week 1 and put them on notice, but inexperience, lack of "winning know-how", and inefficiency in the redzone means we fall short in the end. Giants 20 Redskins 16'

'24-7 Giants. Bleh'

Like those sad little Lilliputians in Gulliver's Travels, resignation and doubt seems to cling to Redskins fans. Against these Giants, we feel helpless and powerless.

We’re all doomed. It’ll never work.

Balderdash I say.

And for good reason. Modern Redskins fans carry a lot of baggage. We’re used to carrying it. But it’s a new day for our Burgundy and Gold. We’ve got a young team, capably lead by a young offensive coordinator and his Super Bowl-winning father. These guys don’t realize they have no chance. They don’t realize they’re David with nothing but a sling and a handful of stones to bring down Goliath.

Like Rocky, they think they can win.

All good things have to come to an end. And so too with bad things. Tomorrow, the New York Giants domination of the Washington Redskins becomes a thing of history. Our new look Redskins are ready to turn a page.

The little guys are about to rear their ugly heads.

Redskins 30-17.

To read more BGO.C.D. blog entries, click HERE

The optimist says that we will win vs the Giants, due to all the injuries on defense. The realists in me says that i wouldn't be surprised that we take another L. The good thing is that neither optimism nor reality wins games, talent and sound preparation wins games. Lets how we have those 2 things on our side. Nice article!

---------- Post added September-10th-2011 at 05:41 PM ----------

BTW, I don't know what was worse the 36-0 in '05 to NYG or the 52-7 loss to the Pats. Both of those losses stick with me to this day. :doh:

Hail Yeaaaa!! I love it, I talked soo much smack today in the barbershop and everyone was just laughing at me saying "Rex is your QB haha" "ya"ll have come in last place for the last 4 years in the division" "still the same ole deadskins" "I see your drinking that BS kool-aid again" "ya'll will get whooped even with all their injuries".... Oh and there was soo much more, but you know what?? I kept my chin up and I can talk **** with the best of them, I got all their cell numbers and told them to keep their phones on tomorrow cause I will be texting the hell out of them. I feel it, this year I really feel its time for us to turn the corner...

Good to see that it's not just me thinking we can win this game. I've been one of the negative people the past few years so it seems odd that I'm sounding like a homer now, lol.

That 36-0 was the worst. Everybody in here seemed so sure that we'd take them. Tom had started his sig bet thread again too, luckily I didn't take the bait, but of course he won the sig bet. That thread always seemed like a curse for some reason.

Thats one of the positive signs i've noticed around here as well. No sig bet thread, lol.

I'm sure that Coughlin will have that team ready to go no matter how many injuries they have but I still think we can win the game now. I didn't think that way 2 weeks ago. Part of the reason is that I looked up to see how bad Shanahan has done in the past in season openers and was surprised to see that he's 17-1 in openers in Oakland, Denver, and Washington. Also, the team is a team now, no more Haynesworth or other distracting players, too bad Daniels isn't around though.

I think that the fact that Shanahan seems to be the most prepared coach in the NFL for 1st games coupled with the fact that the Giants have a bunch of starters out and the guys replacing them didn't get any offseason workouts at all, that does give us even more of an advantage than usual. Then again, we have a lot of new faces as well. In the end its going to likely come down to whether Grossman or Hightower turn the ball over and whether Hall or one of the new DB's give up big plays.

Good stuff there John.

God how I absolutely hated being at that game. I had almost blocked it from memory, but like a bad dream, a little of it always gnaws at me during Giants week. We really need to come out tomorrow & make a statement.

Yep. Though, on a positive side, the food in the Press Box was fantastic :) Sad that this was perhaps the highlight, but we did have one helluva breakfast before the misery set in.

---------- Post added September-10th-2011 at 09:01 PM ----------

Good stuff there John.

God how I absolutely hated being at that game. I had almost blocked it from memory, but like a bad dream, a little of it always gnaws at me during Giants week. We really need to come out tomorrow & make a statement.

Was that the first game you covered for ES? Seems like it might have been - because I remember feeling bad that of all the games to have a sideline pass to, that wasn't the best of the lot.

I'll never forget that damn game. I liked our chances, considering that we absolutely destroyed San Fran the previous week, then on like the first play, Tiki Barber broke a 60+ yard run, and everything went bad, really fast.

---------- Post added September-10th-2011 at 10:11 PM ----------

[/color]BTW, I don't know what was worse the 36-0 in '05 to NYG or the 52-7 loss to the Pats. Both of those losses stick with me to this day. :doh:

The Pats game stung considerably less, because I knew that we would get our asses kicked beforehand, though obviously not to that level. It has since been replaced by the Eagles loss last year at FedEx

The Pats game stung considerably less, because I knew that we would get our asses kicked beforehand, though obviously not to that level. It has since been replaced by the Eagles loss last year at FedEx

I'm trying to have selective memory loss regarding that Eagles game. Thanks for refreshing it...lol

---------- Post added September-10th-2011 at 11:08 PM ----------

That was the game after Wellington Mara's passing right? ALL the momentum was in the Giants favor that day..

You're right it was! We ran into a buzz saw.

Let's Do it!! I was at that Pats debacle with my cousin. We we got up to leave, after having enough of a whooping the entire section sang na na na hey hey hey good bye, our entire walk down about 20 rows. I gave them the double gun salute from the bottom with a big smile but that was dam awful. So yeah, it's time to shake this Giant bug, and come out and put the division on notice!

Archived