Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Cooley calls Eagles class of NFC East, says 'Skins 'not the team'

SWFLSkins

Let me see if I have this: Rex Grossman says he thinks we will win the NFC East, and the fans jump all over him. Cooley says the Eagles are the team to beat, not the Redskins, and that is bad too.

A reporter asking a player who is the best team in their division is like a woman asking if she looks good in something, no matter what answer you give, you cannot win.

Let me see if I have this: Rex Grossman says he thinks we will win the NFC East, and the fans jump all over him. Cooley says the Eagles are the team to beat, not the Redskins, and that is bad too.

A reporter asking a player who is the best team in their division is like a woman asking if she looks good in something, no matter the answer you give, you cannot win.

Well there are probably 10000 people posting here regularly too. It's doubtful that the same people are replying both ways. Anyway, Cooley said before that he likes being under the radar so this is exactly what you'd expect him to say and Rex probably said what he said because he was competing for a QB job and coaches more than likely want to hear stuff like that from the QB who may or may not start rather than him saying that we're the 3rd or 4th best team in the division, lol.

Well there are probably 10000 people posting here regularly too. It's doubtful that the same people are replying both ways. Anyway, Cooley said before that he likes being under the radar so this is exactly what you'd expect him to say and Rex probably said what he said because he was competing for a QB job and coaches more than likely want to hear stuff like that from the QB who may or may not start rather than him saying that we're the 3rd or 4th best team in the division, lol.

Perhaps this is right, but the fact remains that there is no good way to answer that question, or at least no way that won't rub some fans wrong.

This post bleeds with ignorance. My God, a top 5 TE and you don't want him?

Top 5 TE!? :doh: maybe 3 years ago

Plug in any of these players and we would see much better play.

Antonio Gates

Vernon Davis

Dallas Clark

Jermichael Finley

Tony Gonzalez

Zach Miller

Jason Witten

Jimmy Graham

Rob Gronkowksi

Owen Daniels

Fred Davis

I don't hate Chris Cooley. Once one is able to look past the fact he plays for our team, one can see a declining player who has lost most of his after the catch and seperation abilities. Let us not forget that his backup, Fred Davis, has shown to be a better player when given the opportunity and is also younger, cheaper, and more athletic.

When Cooley went down, Davis scored more TDs (6) in 10 games then Cooley has scored his LAST 39 games. What happens when Davis is a FA next year? Do we let home grown talent entering his prime walk, so we can keep a declining injury prone player simply because he is a "fan favorite"? Cooley at this point in his Redskins career is damaged goods who is taking valuable reps from our younger TE's and should be released.

Top 5 TE!? :doh: maybe 3 years ago

Plug in any of these players and we would see much better play.

Antonio Gates

Vernon Davis

Dallas Clark

Jermichael Finley

Tony Gonzalez

Zach Miller

Jason Witten

Jimmy Graham

Rob Gronkowksi

Owen Daniels

Fred Davis

I don't hate Chris Cooley. Once one is able to look past the fact he plays for our team, one can see a declining player who has lost most of his after the catch and seperation abilities. Let us not forget that his backup, Fred Davis, has shown to be a better player when given the opportunity and is also younger, cheaper, and more athletic.

When Cooley went down, Davis scored more TDs (6) in 10 games then Cooley has scored his LAST 39 games. What happens when Davis is a FA next year? Do we let home grown talent entering his prime walk, so we can keep a declining injury prone player simply because he is a "fan favorite"? Cooley at this point in his Redskins career is damaged goods who is taking valuable reps from our younger TE's and should be released.

Do you realize that only 1 of those TE's had more receptions than Cooley and only 1 other was even close and that guy is Gonzales who is almost 36 years old?

Antonio Gates missed 6 games.

Dallas Clark missed 10 games.

Owen Daniels missed 5 games.

Jermichael Finley missed 11 games.

and I didnt even go through your entire list since some of these guys had 20-30 catches.

Cooley is the injury prone one though. He played in all 16 and had the 2nd most receptions of all tight ends in the NFL.

Do you realize that only 1 of those TE's had more receptions than Cooley and only 1 other was even close and that guy is Gonzales who is almost 36 years old?

So you're going to ignore all my points, and take Cooley over all those players I listed? You're a joke.

Coaches don't fear Cooley, the guy hasnt broken a tackle in 2 years. His stats are very misleading, he has basicly been our possesion reciever the last few years due to our lackluster wr corp. Now we have an actual possesion WR in Jabar Gaffney. Plug in Davis as the starter and you will see an increase in YAC, yards per catch and TD's just like 2009.

Perhaps this is right, but the fact remains that there is no good way to answer that question, or at least no way that won't rub some fans wrong.

did you read the article? his answer is fine. i find it hard to believe anyone that read the full quote has a problem with it.

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 01:26 PM ----------

Coaches don't fear Cooley, the guy hasnt broken a tackle in 2 years. His stats are very misleading, he has basicly been our possesion reciever the last few years due to our lackluster wr corp. Now we have an actual possesion WR in Jabar Gaffney. Plug in Davis as the starter and you will see an increase in YAC, yards per catch and TD's just like 2009.

i wish every thread that mentioned cooley didn't turn into a fantasy-fest of people making up delusions about fred davis.

I really hope this is our last season with Cooley. Yeah, the guy does well in between the 20's but he disappears in the red-zone and hasn't broken a tackle since 09. At his peak he was a playmaker who rarely went down on first contact but multiple injuries have robbed him of those abilities. Lets not ignore the fact that when Cooley went down his backup scored more TD's in 10 games then Cooley has the last 39 games.

You do realize, never mind, obviously you don't or you wouldn't have posted such an uninformed point.

Cooley has been held back by shotty QB and Offensive Line play for years. Of course he hasn't been able to catch many passes/td's, he has had to stay in and block more than 60% of the time he has been on the field. It is his cross to bear for being such a good blocking TE. He has been injury prone as of late, which is troublesome. But, because his backup can't pass block as well so he is sent out as the dump-off guy (talk about possession receiver types), which gives him better numbers, doesn't take away from what Cooley has offered this team. Let's not ignore the facts, as you said.

The actual article on NFL.com should be edited, not the thread.

When players complain about their words being taken out of context by sportswriters in order to try and create controversy, this is as good an "exhibit A" as any. Lazy and disingenuous journalism, but this is where we are today, on every level of the media.

i wish every thread that mentioned cooley didn't turn into a fantasy-fest of people making up delusions about fred davis.

Seriously. Fred Davis has become, hands down, the most overrated player on the team. He has been unable to unseat Cooley for 4 years and yet countless people swear that he's better. Somebody better inform the coach that Fred Davis is an All-Pro so we can stop putting the inferior player on the field.

You do realize, never mind, obviously you don't or you wouldn't have posted such an uninformed point.

Cooley has been held back by shotty QB and Offensive Line play for years. Of course he hasn't been able to catch many passes/td's, he has had to stay in and block more than 60% of the time he has been on the field. It is his cross to bear for being such a good blocking TE. He has been injury prone as of late, which is troublesome. But, because his backup can't pass block as well so he is sent out as the dump-off guy (talk about possession receiver types), which gives him better numbers, doesn't take away from what Cooley has offered this team. Let's not ignore the facts, as you said.

Cooley is a terrible blocker though... Also why has Davis TRIPLED Cooley's TD catches over the last 3 years?

Everything you said is true about being surrounded by terrible players, but by the time we get a good supporting cast Cooley will be a shell of himself. Why wouldnt we unload a proven vet for a home grown younger alternative? When Cooley went down in 09 there was ZERO dropoff from the TE position. Why keep the guy who's gettin paid 7 times more (3.5 mill vs 550k) then his backup who when given the opportunity played well?

The Eagles are expected to be good this year, they are a super bowl contender. They will fail though, they will cave under all this pressure and expectation, plus Vick WILL get injured (going out on a limb lol)

Speaking of the eagles; I saw that they're first round draftee, Danny Watkins (from Baylor), won't be starting at right guard. They feel more comfortable with free agent pick up Kyle Devan. That's not a good sign for Watkins (or the Eagles), and it also means that the are still juggling personnel along the line rather than developing chemistry.

So you're going to ignore all my points, and take Cooley over all those players I listed? You're a joke.

What are these points? Apparently you are convinced that the fact that you believe Cooley is over the hill-damaged goods-only taking reps from better players makes it true? But I am a joke? :rotflmao:

Or maybe the fact that Davis can't block at all is the reason another TE stays in to block and he's only in the game when he is sent out on routes instead of blocking 2/3's of the time like Cooley does? Did that ever cross your mind? Of course not. :doh1:

Cooley is 29, and has played in all 16 games in 6 of his 7 years in the NFL, yet because you say so he is finished and should have been dumped a while ago, even though he played in all 16 games last year while putting up #2 in the NFL reception numbers for all TE's. He's injury prone just ask mr laron and sean aka Albert Einstein. :ols:

Then you go off and list 11 guys that you believe are better. Most of of these guys missed a lot of games and/or played with better qb's in the same offense for years, but NONE OF THEM except Davis are on our roster anyway so WTF is your point? You are telling me to respond to your points. I'd like to know what they might be beyond decreasing the board IQ.

So lets look at some numbers of these 11 guys who are head and shoulders better than our worthless starting TE that is only on the roster because he's a "fan favorite" who actually "hasn't broken a tackle in 2 years" and see if Albert is right. :excited: :excited: :excited:

Chris Cooley 77 receptions 849 yards 380 yac 44.7% YAC 16 starts

Jason Witten 94 receptions 1002 yards 363 yac 36.2% YAC 16 starts

T Gonzalez 70 receptions 656 yards 181 yac 27.5% YAC 16 starts

A Gates 50 receptions 782 yards 331 yac 42.3% YAC played in 10 games

Vernon Davis 56 receptions 914 yards 380 yac 41.5% YAC 16 starts

Dallas Clark 37 receptions 347 yards 133 yac 38.3% YAC played in 6 games

Jer Finley 21 receptions 301 yards 103 yac 34.2% YAC played in 5 games

Zach Miller 60 receptions 685 yards 271 yac 39.5% YAC played in 15 games

J Graham 31 receptions 356 yards 143 yac 40.1% YAC played in 15 games

R Gronkowksi 42 receptions 546 yards 187 yac 34.2% YAC 16 starts

Owen Daniels 38 receptions 471 yards 276 yac 58.5% YAC played in 11 games

1 of these TE's (Daniels) has a higher YAC% than Cooley and he missed 5 games last year 8 the year before and he's in the same Shanahan style offense with a much better QB and offense around him, right, or wrong? League leading rusher Arian Foster, best WR in the NFL Andre Johnson and a top 5 QB last year, #1 offense. Everybody else did LESS than Cooley with their touches. ALL of them. Cooley had more than double the # of receptions Daniels had anyway.

Cooley doesn't decide which route he runs, how often he has to block because of the bad OL, or how often he's thrown the ball (or if it's a McNabb dirtball or not), and he's never had a great QB throwing him perfect passes in stride yet he is still 2nd of all TE's in creating something after the catch. He's one of 5 that played in all 16 games. He was #2 in receptions, # 3 in yards.

Yep, he sucks. :dunce:

The thread title is indeed misleading, however this is a perfect example why it's logical/rational to actually read the entire article itself in its entire context before providing an irrational knee jerk reaction in response. Secondly, I'm really starting to find it obnoxious how dense this fanbase is. Cooley didn't say anything that wasn't true and his honesty should be taken as a positive instead of a negative, wow!!!! we have players on our team that aren't blind?!?! what?!?! :doh: ugh this fanbase sometimes I swear.

Completely agree there (although it's actually the title of the article, so you can't blame the thread starter)...in fact, there should be some ellipses after "not the team" (in other words, "not the team...") to indicate that Cooley said more after that comment. Extremely crappy way of portraying the guy's words.

Does it surprise you?

I'm so jaded by the NFL media that no measure of inaccuracy, editorializing, or outright crappy analysis surprises me any more. Save your letters to the ombudsman though. This is too inconsequential to worry about.

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 06:59 AM ----------

Cooley is a terrible blocker though... Also why has Davis TRIPLED Cooley's TD catches over the last 3 years?

Everything you said is true about being surrounded by terrible players, but by the time we get a good supporting cast Cooley will be a shell of himself. Why wouldnt we unload a proven vet for a home grown younger alternative? When Cooley went down in 09 there was ZERO dropoff from the TE position. Why keep the guy who's gettin paid 7 times more (3.5 mill vs 550k) then his backup who when given the opportunity played well?

Fred Davis doesn't want us to trade Chris Cooley. There are a million threads about trading Cooley dude, does this need to become another?

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 07:07 AM ----------

A reporter asking a player who is the best team in their division is like a woman asking if she looks good in something, no matter what answer you give, you cannot win.

Yeah there is: "You look great/beautiful/wonderful/lovely, etc."

Cooley's response was a good answer. The way the article was formatted should only make the idiot journalist who wrote that title look bad. It's clearly a shameless attempt to sensationalize the headline and drive up traffic for an un-newsworthy story.

Archived