Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 NFL Power Rankings: Week 1

kameuh

Funny how Dallas has done nothing but lose players after 6-10 and cut a bunch of starters as well and they are still in the top 1/2.

But but they have Rob Ryan on D now! That makes them leet, even if the players don't know the system inside and out.

Still, thats a 12-4 season for the boys!

ESPN's Team and all...

Don't really know why people are so up in arms about this. We have been in the cellar of the nfc east for years and we won a combined 10 games the last two years. Why should anyone other than a skins fan be high on this team? If we really are a better team lets prove it.

"The offensive line is young, but there is talent to overcome it."

Really? REALLY????

****in' read THIS BOARD once in a while, jackhole. How'd "all that talent" do overcoming the O-line last year? We TOLD you that would be their downfall, and it was. Now, kindly STFU until you can even prove a bunch of "idiots" on a message board wrong.

Don't really know why people are so up in arms about this. We have been in the cellar of the nfc east for years and we won a combined 10 games the last two years. Why should anyone other than a skins fan be high on this team? If we really are a better team lets prove it.

Anyone saying SB right now IS foolish. But to call anyone ranking the Cowboys #7 a window licker, is literally an insult to window lickers.

Too bad they don't keep an archived list of these rankings. I'm sure you'd find that every single year Dallas is higher on the list at the beginning of the season than they are when it ends. Then the next year, right back up there again.

I am surprised though, they aren't top 10 this year. Must be the first time since before Parcells took over almost a decade ago.

15 (11) Giants 10-6 No team suffered bigger preseason losses from an injury standpoint than the Giants, particularly in the secondary. At least they get the Redskins in Week 1. (Fox)

this is the best part...f u espn

Honestly, to say an NFC East match up on the road is a break is just... idiotic.

---------- Post added September-7th-2011 at 03:47 AM ----------

Bahahaha! What the balls??? Oh, I see, it's the 'talent' excuse again. How far did that get them last year?

I don't understand the fury. Who cares? It's not like the Power Rankings affect the outcome of a game. Things change weekly. If the Skins win and stay healthy, they move up. If they don't, they'll stay down. The only PR the means anything is the one that comes out after the Super Bowl.

FWIW, here are the futures betting numbers - not that much different. http://www.betvega.com/super-bowl-odds/ I really don't think Redskin-hatred has anything to do with it. It's more a case of an offense that has been ineffective for years. It's hard to look objectively at the players and think that the Skins will be in the top half of the league in scoring.

Even being a Cowboys fan, I fail to see how the Skins can rated so low and the Cowboys (with a bad defense and rookie o-line) being rated 14th. Makes no sense.

With Snyderatto and Zorn it was understandable. Not when their former manlove coach is currently running our team though, lol.

When Shanahan was in Denver he was always listed as one of the top 3-4 coaches in the league with Belichick and whoever else was that years FOTM. Now that he's here it's like they forgot about all that. Kinda funny. I always said Shanahan was the most overrated coach in the league at the time. Now maybe he's one of the most underrated.

With Snyderatto and Zorn it was understandable. Not when their former manlove coach is currently running our team though, lol.

When Shanahan was in Denver he was always listed as one of the top 3-4 coaches in the league with Belichick and whoever else was that years FOTM. Now that he's here it's like they forgot about all that. Kinda funny. I always said Shanahan was the most overrated coach in the league at the time. Now maybe he's one of the most underrated.

I think everyone outside of the ES kingdom recognizes that he doesn't have his players in place yet. It's hard to look like a good coach when you have the likes of Albert Haynesworth making a mockery of the team. Plus, he took a pass on addressing the QB situation. If he can survive this season, he'll be back at the top.

I don't know. Maybe because it's their jobs to pay attention and actually give thoughtful analysis. This is no better than what any one of us could do without having picked up a newspaper all offseason. I could care less that they rank us #28 or whatever they want to rank us. But their rankings are completely arbitrary and based on little fact wise.

The Cowboys are the perfect example of how mindless these predictions are. They stunk last year, they cut half their team without replacing them with anybody of note, their starters looked shaky in preseason but somehow they have gotten a lot better because they have so much "TALENT". The fact is they don't have a lot of talent. They have some talent but they have an assload of holes, particularly on defense. It's friggin comically predictable. There was a time that ESPN actually did a good job. Now all they do is pander to the larger fanbases.

I don't know. Maybe because it's their jobs to pay attention and actually give thoughtful analysis. This is no better than what any one of us could do without having picked up a newspaper all offseason. I could care less that they rank us #28 or whatever they want to rank us. But their rankings are completely arbitrary and based on little fact wise.

If ranking was something that could be done objectively and accurately, they wouldn't need to re-rank every week. And Vegas would be out of the sports book business. Everyone knows that the end of season rankings probably won't look much like the initial rankings. But I'd hardly call their rankings arbitrary. The Skins aren't rated high because they have sucked for the last three years and serious skill problems on the offense.

It's pretty easy to move up in the rankings - all you need to do is win. The Skins have a pretty fair schedule over the first four weeks - if they win all four games, then they'll move up to the top six or seven teams. If they just beat NY, they'll probably jump up 10 places. It's up to the Skins, not the sports writers.

It's pretty easy to move up in the rankings - all you need to do is win. The Skins have a pretty fair schedule over the first four weeks - if they win all four games, then they'll move up to the top six or seven teams. If they just beat NY, they'll probably jump up 10 places. It's up to the Skins, not the sports writers.

I guarantee you that would never happen.

Hell, there were times in the past where the Redskins won, and STILL dropped a spot or two in the rankings :ols:...no lie.

I don't care about power rankings, but the thing about these that irritates me is they attribute it all to QB play for us, ignoring every other aspect of the team. But then there are teams like the Jaguars (McCown), Dolphins (Henne), Seahawks (Jackson), and 49'ers (Smith) ahead of us. There's no way you can claim any of them are better than Grossman. It seems like the QB position only applies to the Redskins sucking, and no one else.

I guarantee you that would never happen.

Hell, there were times in the past where the Redskins won, and STILL dropped a spot or two in the rankings :ols:...no lie.

Challenge accepted! I choose 2008 because they gave a glimmer of greatness that year. Hard to find many winning streaks after that.

2008 Week 0: Ranking 16 Beginning of Zorn era

2008 Week 1: Ranking 19 (Week 1 is just before the first game of the season) Worried about preseason

2008 Week 2: Ranking 23 (clobbered by Giants)

2008 Week 3: Ranking 19 (beat Saints)

2008 Week 4: Ranking 16 (beat Arizona)

2008 Week 5: Ranking 6 (beat Cowboys in Dallas)

2008 Week 6: Ranking 3 (beat Philly)

2008 Week 7: Ranking 5 (lost to Rams - "this team didn't get bad overnight")

2008 Week 8: Ranking 5 (beat Cleveland ugly)

2008 Week 9: Ranking 5 (beat Lions ugly)

2008 Week 10: Ranking 5 (lost to Steelers badly)

2008 Week 11: Ranking 5 (bye)

2008 Week 12: Ranking 9 (lost to Dallas)

2008 Week 13: Ranking 12 (beat to Seattle)

2008 Week 14: Ranking 13 (lost to Giants)

2008 Week 15: Ranking 18 (lost to Ravens)

2008 Week 16: Ranking 20 (lost to Bengals)

2008 Week 17: Ranking 18 (beat Eagles!)

2008 Week 18: Ranking 21 (lost to SF)

You are correct - they dropped after beating #28 Seattle by 3 in Week 13, and deservedly so. I don't see a single week that their rating was unjustified based on results. If anything, they held on to their #5 ranking way to long - the Rams, Browns and Lions were all horrible and a #5 team should have blown by all three.

And I'm sure I could find plenty of posts about how stupid the end of preseason rankings were.

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 09:35 AM ----------

Here's the link if you want to get past results: http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2008/week/0

You can change the year in the URL for other years. I'm afraid most of the perceived Skins hatred is simply in everyone's head.

2007 final preseason ranking: 19 end of season: 10

2009 final preseason ranking: 20 end of season: 29

2010 final preseason ranking: 17 end of season: 26

Yeeeeeeeshhh. I bet she has a nice personality. :ols:

3c358b53.jpg

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 11:02 AM ----------

but it's cool that the pukes are rated so high' date=' i mean they did finish at 6-10, which you know...is the same record we had....and we didn't have to cut a bunch of pro bowlers to make it under the cap

---------- Post added September-8th-2011 at 11:04 AM ----------

Anyone saying SB right now IS foolish. But to call anyone ranking the Cowboys #7 a window licker, is literally an insult to window lickers.

:ols::ols::ols:

I don't care about power rankings, but the thing about these that irritates me is they attribute it all to QB play for us, ignoring every other aspect of the team. But then there are teams like the Jaguars (McCown), Dolphins (Henne), Seahawks (Jackson), and 49'ers (Smith) ahead of us. There's no way you can claim any of them are better than Grossman. It seems like the QB position only applies to the Redskins sucking, and no one else.

We've really hit bedrock when people start complaining that we should be ranked 26th instead of 28th.

but it's cool that the pukes are rated so high, i mean they did finish at 6-10, which you know...is the same record we had....and we didn't have to cut a bunch of pro bowlers to make it under the cap

Can't disagree with you. ESPN is the channel of the quarterback. The cowboys get their high profile (overrated) quarterback back in the line up and the skins have a qb battle between two guys who wouldn't even be back ups on most teams in the nfl.

This is how everyone that isn't a redskins fan views these two teams. I'm not saying I personally agree with it, but I can understand it. I agree that the issue here is that these writers are the worst kind of journalists. Anyone who did their homework and watched the skins this preseason knows that we look like an improved team.

I think week one gives us a great opportunity to show the world who we are. We have a banged up Giants team. If we look like the same old skins and can't put up 20 points and lose to the giants at home like we have for the last five years then dare I say we were who they thought we were?

Archived