Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The continued O-line problems that blight the Washington Redskins.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

• 4 weeks later...

After reading most giving great props to the line, I figured I'd revisit this as we go, starting now after the first quarter.

Outside of Trent, I honestly still aren't seeing how we don't need major upgrades in the other 4 slots. As a unit, in pass protection, we've allowed the 9th most hits in the league on Grossman at 24. The sacks allowed are better, but still in the bottom half of the league at joint 17th worst with 8 sacks allowed through 4 games. A few stats from the run game: Joint 9th worst in negative runs with 10. Joint 11th lowest in yards per rush at 4.1. Joint 8th lowest in rushing TD's with 2. (Though playcalling comes into play there.).

Trent has really stepped up, and the overall line play (outside of Chester who's been pretty bad right through) has been a lot better than the previous year. But I honestly don't see Lichtensteiger and Montgomery as little better than pretty good depth. (I'm discounting Brown being here going forward as he's a shadow of what he was in NO, and is coming to the end of his career.). Hopefully Smith and Hurt really come through, but on the basis of a very up and down first quarter, where we're good in some games (Arizona/ St Louis) , and getting dominated in others by better D fronts (Giants, Cowboys, although pass pro was good at the expense of the run game in that one); if we really want to take this onto the next level, we need to be looking at the next level up of starters to compliment our LT.

First Quarter Grade: C.

Hail.

Oh, no question the lines improved all round. But if we REALLY want to take this to the next level .....

Hail.

I agree. We can't take our eyes off the ball here. We still need a better interior OL. And I agree that Rex has been getting hit around a lot more than I'd like to see.

I think a C grade is about right at this point.

But, I fail to see how you can single out Trent as being the only one who has stepped up thus far. He's had his fair share of poor plays to date.

Also, against the Rams, our OG's broke the big run plays from what I can remember.

So, I agree with the grade but don't understand all of your individual player opinions based on the 4 games that I have watched.

The OL has gotten better as the season has progressed, with the exception of Brown who's looked pretty bad.

I'd throw Chester in there too in the 'looking pretty bad' stakes.

---------- Post added October-4th-2011 at 11:02 AM ----------

I think a C grade is about right at this point.

But' date=' I fail to see how you can single out Trent as being the only one who has stepped up thus far. He's had his fair share of poor plays to date.

Also, against the Rams, our OG's broke the big run plays from what I can remember.

So, I agree with the grade but don't understand all of your individual player opinions based on the 4 games that I have watched.[/quote']

I think Williams has improved to a pretty high level after a very shaky start the past two games. Monty and Lichtensteiger look like more than competent back-up's, but are far too up and down through games to what you really want as starting material for me. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but not as good as some are making out that we don't need to upgrade there. Brown and Chester over the other side have been pretty darn poor all year.

I think it's more telling just what standard the individual players are at when we face better D front's like the two divisional opponents we've played thus far; than games like Sunday against poor, demoralised teams.

Hail.

I think Williams has improved to a pretty high level after a very shaky start the past two games.............

I think it's more telling just what standard the individual players are at when we face better D front's like the two divisional opponents we've played thus far; than games like Sunday against poor, demoralised teams.

Hail.

Based on those two comments, Trent has been average then, right?

I do agree that we need to improve. I'm all for drafting OL within our first 3 picks next year.

However, our OL starters only average ~13 starts per person in this offense. Not even a full season, and many of those starts are in different positions to what they are starting in now.

So, I'm giving them more time before stating we need to upgrade 4 OL spots.

Based on those two comments' date=' Trent has been average then, right?

I do agree that we need to improve. I'm all for drafting OL within our first 3 picks next year.

However, our OL starters only average ~13 starts per person in this offense. Not even a full season, and many of those starts are in different positions to what they are starting in now.

So, I'm giving them more time before stating we need to upgrade 4 OL spots.[/quote']

I'd personally grade him as starting out poor against the Giants, then improving the most of the bunch to a consistent good to very good over the last couple of games. The point on Williams is he's the most talented starting material you'd build on out of the front 5.

And that's a fair call on the amount of game time they've all had in the pro's, not least together. There's little to no danger of any changes being made at present, so it seemed a good thing to revisit every 4 games to see where they are at.

Hail.

so it seemed a good thing to revisit every 4 games to see where they are at.

Hail.

It is a good idea.

Problem is, you don't like to change your opinion much, so I suspect you will bump this each month just to repeat what you stated in the OP...:evilg:

It is a good idea.

Problem is' date=' you don't like to change your opinion much, so I suspect you will bump this each month just to repeat what you stated in the OP...:evilg:[/quote']

:finger: *Chuckling They'll get the relevant respect they deserve or not. ******!

---------- Post added October-4th-2011 at 12:54 PM ----------

Interior line needs work.

Cook played on a good O line with UNM Lobos. He plays right to the whistle and has brother in the NFL.

He looked pretty shocking pre-season which was disappointing. But then he did make the final 53 so they must still hope for something rather him just making up the numbers,

Hail.

Oh, no question the lines improved all round. But if we REALLY want to take this to the next level .....

Hail.

Why should anybody listen to a word you say? You were convinced this was the worst line in football. You were convinced we had the worst QB situation in football. You were convinced that there was no way in hell we would win more than 3 games. Sorry, dude, but your "expert" card has been revoked. But, hey, at least you confidently don't know a thing.

Why should anybody listen to a word you say? You were convinced this was the worst line in football. You were convinced we had the worst QB situation in football. You were convinced that there was no way in hell we would win more than 3 games. Sorry, dude, but your "expert" card has been revoked. But, hey, at least you confidently don't know a thing.

Please, quote me as to where I said we either had 'the worst line in football', or the 'worst QB situation in football.' Or your 3 game myth for that matter.

The best you'll come up with is the fact I said we had arguably ONE of the worst QB situations in football.

But hey, seeing as your so sure in your highly accurate accusations, I'm sure this won't be a problem for you right? Never let a lie get in the way of a more dramatic tale .....

Hail.

NFL now has a rating system for OL. Looks better to me than the QB rating at first glance. Skins have given up the 9th most number of QB hits after 4 games. Ravens have given up about the same and both Flacco and Rex have similar numbers this year.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&archive=false&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT&qualified=true

2 out of the 3 most positions of need will not be filled in this draft. QB Interior Line and ILB. Hopefully Rocky will continue to up his game and put off using a top draft pick on a Backer for another year.

1. QB

2. ILB

3. Int OL

Why couldn't we fill those 3 holes? Top ILB's fall into the 2nd consistently and this years class seems pretty stacked. G's don't go as early as T's and the ZBS guys tend to fall a little as well. I could even see 3. CB and 4. 2x OL and still get a solid Int OL.

edit: I'd also like to add to those kncoking the Chester/Brown side of things, I think there is a good reason every run seems to go left (no stats to back that up, just in my head). Whether it's one of them or both I won't pretend to know. Our depth stinks and I think we have bigger holes in the interior, but I can see the need for RT. With the money paid to Brown, I think we starts at RT at least 2012 without any injuries.

• 5 weeks later...
Sure the names of changed, but the results are the same. The o-line should be the #1 priority this off season. It does not matter if we draft Luck. He is going to get murdered behind this porous line.

I can't say I agree...

Our Qb's put no fear in the eyes of defenses and they will continue to stack the box and blitz like crazy until a QB shows they can beat a team.

Take a look at the Colts

I can't say I agree...

Our Qb's put no fear in the eyes of defenses and they will continue to stack the box and blitz like crazy until a QB shows they can beat a team.

Take a look at the Colts

QB/OL should be 1A/1AA on our priority list. :)

Archived