Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the deal with Malcolm Kelly?

mrjoolius

I know he was cut and an injury settlement was paid. I am now reading that he cleared waivers and now goes on IR. When he is healthy, it is believed he then will be released. Isn't he already released if he was cut? I am just confused at how the process works. I thought if he was cut, the redskins released all rights to him.

Anyone know what Trung Canidate is up to? ;)

Just messin' with you. I haven't heard anything about IR. When you're cut, you're cut as far as I know... But I've been wrong before :ols:

Do you have a link?

No link, but they just said on 980 that he cleared waivers and is placed on IR. WTF?

No link, but they just said on 980 that he cleared waivers and is placed on IR. WTF?

Well, that could be.

In all seriousness, I think there is some injury clause that says you can't make an injured guy unemployed. So, if no one else picks him up in waivers, you can stash him on IR until he's healthy, and then you can release him officially. Not 100% sure, but I'm fairly positive that's the case... But as I said earlier, I've been wrong before.

All this sacasm for a legit question. . . . yeah when ia player is injured and waived if he isn't claimed he goes on IR until the docs clear him, then he is automatically released. It protects young players who get hurt playing from having to face medical bills and such after being cut. Just imagine being a UDFA giving everyhting you got then getting your knee blown out and getting cut. It could be a very bad situation, but the team still takes care of the medical treatment.

He can't be released until he heals up? So what you're saying is Malcolm is a Redskin for life.

:ols:

Nah. Once the doctors determine his current injury is healed, he's gone.

The only other possibility is they haven't agreed to terms on a settlement yet.

he was injured before he got here, why do we owe him a settlement?! Like a kid wanting to keep his puppy, let him keep the exercise bike...

because i believe its a rule.. no player can be cut because of injury without a settlement (which i think is a GREAT rule)

because i believe its a rule.. no player can be cut because of injury without a settlement (which i think is a GREAT rule)

I would agree if he hadn't been injured before he got here. I wont argue with it, im just saying, I wouldnt expect the military or any other organization to pay me disability if I hurt my shoulder/leg/ass bone before I went in and it happens to be the reason I leave that organization

I would agree if he hadn't been injured before he got here. I wont argue with it, im just saying, I wouldnt expect the military or any other organization to pay me disability if I hurt my shoulder/leg/ass bone before I went in and it happens to be the reason I leave that organization

Agreed, but when you are stupid enough to draft someone with know medical problems......

It's part of the CBA that the players negotiated... to protect players from being cut when they are injured... so that they can get the treatment and financial settlement... whether he is claimed off waivers and goes to a new team that can provide treatment, or clears waivers and have to go to IR with the original team to get treatment... when he is healthy, the team can then officially cut him...

Agreed, but when you are stupid enough to draft someone with know medical problems......

thats a whole 'nother story thats been beaten to death

---------- Post added September-1st-2011 at 11:31 AM ----------

I have to agree - cutting a guy is one thing but cutting a guy when he is hurt without a settlement is just wrong.

Kelly was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the second round (51st overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft. On July 14, he signed a four-year, $3.36 million contract with $1.655 million guaranteed.[6] However, due to injuries Kelly was inactive for three of the first five games of his rookie season.[7] He appeared in only five games his first year, catching three passes for 18 yards.

Kelly played 16 games in 2009 recording 25 receptions for 347 yards. Kelly spent the entire 2010 season on injured reserve with a knee injury.

On August 30, 2011, Kelly was released with an injury settlement.

Nah, I dont feel too bad

when he is healthy, the team can then officially cut him...

Not to start or bring back any Kelly debates, but does that mean since he cleared waivers and is not officially "cut", that he is eligible to resign here when healthy? It doesn't seem a bad option if the injury bug strikes our receiver corps. However, if he does plan to still pursue football, he may opt for a fresh start elsewhere.

Archived