Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the deal with Malcolm Kelly?

mrjoolius

The rule is tricky.

You cannot cut an injured player.

So' date=' he is quote-unquote "cut" and other teams may claim him off waivers. If he is not claimed, he is on IR until he is cleared to play.[/quote']

Such a rule is a good one for a serious injury. But doesn't Malcolm have a paper cut, or sore foot, or something? Will his hamstring and knees ever be "better"?

Kelly was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the second round (51st overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft. On July 14, he signed a four-year, $3.36 million contract with $1.655 million guaranteed.[6] However, due to injuries Kelly was inactive for three of the first five games of his rookie season.[7] He appeared in only five games his first year, catching three passes for 18 yards.

Kelly played 16 games in 2009 recording 25 receptions for 347 yards. Kelly spent the entire 2010 season on injured reserve with a knee injury.

On August 30, 2011, Kelly was released with an injury settlement.

Nah, I dont feel too bad

True enough, but the rule is for every player, not just MK. Besides despite what some would say, clearly the coaches like him so i am sure it works for them to make sure he is taken care of.

True enough, but the rule is for every player, not just MK. Besides despite what some would say, clearly the coaches like him so i am sure it works for them to make sure he is taken care of.

You stand next to someone long enough on the sidelines and during practice you're bound to either love him or hate him... i guess they loved him

In other news, recently released Malcomb Kelly is now joining hands with Lance Armstrong to promote the Tour de France... MK found time to practice during his tenure with the Washington Redskins.

Alright, im done, no more MK jokes... hope he can find employment after all of this.

^^^ dong!? hahaha that's my word!

Not to start or bring back any Kelly debates, but does that mean since he cleared waivers and is not officially "cut", that he is eligible to resign here when healthy? It doesn't seem a bad option if the injury bug strikes our receiver corps. However, if he does plan to still pursue football, he may opt for a fresh start elsewhere.

Once a player is cut, they can be re-signed by the team that cuts them. I think there is a time period though. This usually happens when a player is carrying too much salary.

Actually, the Cowboys may have screwed the pooch this year by not doing this with Newman. (I'm partially stealing this idea from Mike Lombardi). With Newman on the books, they were slightly limited in what they could offer Ashamonagnaguamgaugo. They should have cut Newman, upped the offer, and then if they didn't land him, signed Newman for less than his current salary - since he probably wasn't going to be in high demand on the FA market.

---------- Post added September-1st-2011 at 01:29 PM ----------

Such a rule is a good one for a serious injury. But doesn't Malcolm have a paper cut, or sore foot, or something? Will his hamstring and knees ever be "better"?

I don't know the time period, but I think he is only on IR to the end of the year and/or his injury settlement.

All this sacasm for a legit question. . . . yeah when ia player is injured and waived if he isn't claimed he goes on IR until the docs clear him, then he is automatically released. It protects young players who get hurt playing from having to face medical bills and such after being cut. Just imagine being a UDFA giving everyhting you got then getting your knee blown out and getting cut. It could be a very bad situation, but the team still takes care of the medical treatment.

Beat me to it

I seem to recall seeing an "(IR)" next to his name on the cut list. I can't find it now though.

The "(IR)" must signify something other than a straight cut, but I don't know what it is.

I think it just means that the Redskins are on the hook for his rehab. That is, because he cleared waivers, he can use our facilities and Redskins are on the hook to provide him with any trainers or doctors he needs until declared healthy.

Not to start or bring back any Kelly debates, but does that mean since he cleared waivers and is not officially "cut", that he is eligible to resign here when healthy? It doesn't seem a bad option if the injury bug strikes our receiver corps. However, if he does plan to still pursue football, he may opt for a fresh start elsewhere.

Teams used to use the "cut and re-sign" strategy often (I loved it because just because you got cut did not mean you didn't make the team) when they thought they could get a guy through waivers. Back in the 70s and early 80s when you could reactive guys from your in-season IR at your pleasure, you used to cut healthy guys you thought would get through waivers so injured guys you wanted to put on in-season IR could be "active" for at least 1 game. In the mid to late 80s, they phased this out but you could still cut a guy on IR and if he made it through waivers, you could sign him back (you also had a limited number of reactivations without having to go through waivers).

Teams used to use the "cut and re-sign" strategy often (I loved it because just because you got cut did not mean you didn't make the team) when they thought they could get a guy through waivers. Back in the 70s and early 80s when you could reactive guys from your in-season IR at your pleasure, you used to cut healthy guys you thought would get through waivers so injured guys you wanted to put on in-season IR could be "active" for at least 1 game. In the mid to late 80s, they phased this out but you could still cut a guy on IR and if he made it through waivers, you could sign him back (you also had a limited number of reactivations without having to go through waivers).

Seven. You could put as many people on IR as you wanted, but you could only bring back seven. Third string QB's were often stashed on IR as a way to "farm" them.

Archived