Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: Dolphins to honor Tebow before game vs. Broncos. Wait, what?

21MadFan

Imagine that your local professional football team organizes a ceremony to honor a recent national championship by a nearby college team. That doesn't sound like a bad idea, does it? No, of course, not. Unless ...

• The beloved star of the college team you're honoring now plays for the team that will be attempting to beat the home team that day;

• You're essentially inviting a horde of fans of that beloved college star to attend your game, where they could end up rooting against the home team, because of their passionate allegiance to said beloved star;

• Your stadium also serves as the home field of a different college team, which happens to hate the college team you're honoring that day, and those fans could end up booing the hell out of the other college team's celebration.

Click link for rest of article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Dolphins-to-honor-Tebow-before-game-vs-Broncos-?urn=nfl-wp6172

I don't understand this at all. Since when did NFL teams celebrate stuff that happens in the NCAA? Not only that, but it's not exactly like Gainesville is anywhere close to Miami. I feel bad for Dolphins fans.

The same reason the Nats advertised in Philly. If your fans don't support you the team will try to draw in people any way they can. You can feel bad for them if they were selling out but they don't always.

Marino is just an honored number. Not really retired. A couple players have since worn 13. They are honoring his work as a Miami Dolphin.

Tim Hardaway and Alonzo Mourning's jerseys are both retired from Miami.

Still don't get Marino. I also don't get Hardaway. He was a good player while he was there but he was neither there a long time, the team never won anything and he wasn't a great player while there. They are going to be out of numbers pretty soon if guys like Tim Hardaway are getting their numbers retired. And I really don't get Jordan.

ticket sales must really be down in Miami.

This is my guess. The Dolphins were at 90.1% of stadium capacity in 2010. That was 7th worst in the league (ahead of only the Chiefs, Lions, Bills, Rams, Bucs, and Raiders). (Redskins were only two slots above them, at 90.7%. But the Skins ranked 2nd in average attendance and in total attendance, behind Jerrah's Boys.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_attendance

Archived