Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The final death knell toll's for Malcolm Kelly .....

Gibbs Hog Heaven

His knees haven't been a problem outside of his rookie season. That's another continued myth on here.

Unless I'm reading you wrong McD man, your basically saying Kelly knew he was never gona' be healthy enough to contribute and seem to be suggesting he happily hoodwinked us into the pick purely for money.

Hail.

This is correct. I will post the article later for you.

Off to the car to drive home now.

The thing is, the guy wanted to play football.

I know everyone wants to talk about what a horrible draft pick he was and how he was useless and always hurt, and they want to lump him in with Devin. The thing Malcolm had that Devin never had was drive. Clearly, he WANTED to get on the field. He wanted to be one of the best wide receivers, he wanted to contribute for us, he wanted to be a Redskin. All this "he stole from us", "what a bum" talk is unfair to the man. Sometimes, the mind and heart wants what the body can not give.

Since he was drafted, he's been in every meeting, showed up on time and in shape, participated in offseason workouts, and been a class act. He doesn't deserve a lot of the hate he gets from fans. He always found himself hurt because he was always trying to get on the practice field. He had production at Oklahoma that justified him being a (risky) 2nd round pick, and couldn't see the field because he was usually trying hard to get back on it.

Malcolm never decided to take modeling more seriously than football, be in a stupid music video by a C-list pop act, and he won't call us the Deadskins because we cut him. He was a hard worker who was hurt a lot. It sucks, I know, and there's people who will naysay and laugh at dude's misfortune for the unforgivable crime of--GASP!--actually trying to be a football player and a pro, but Kelly's good people, and I hope he catches on elsewhere.

It might just take a team that's willing to do what the Bucs do with Kellen Winslow, and give him some limited practice reps and take extra care of him.

But before we got snickering at the dude (mainly because he was Vinny's pick and it's fun to poke fun at anything Vinny's ever done), just take into consideration that he was a good guy. Sucks he couldn't stay healthy, but that's not a reason to badmouth him.

Really?

He didn't practice because of a "sore foot". Multiple MRIs and X-rays showed no injury to the foot.

If he had just sucked it up and practiced, the Skins could have cut him without an injury settlement. He also might have had a chance to make the team, but he had to had known that was a slim chance given the depth there.

By sitting out these weeks with the "sore foot" Kelly sealed his fate with respect to the roster, but he also guaranteed himself one last check in the form of the injury settlement.

The "sore foot" with negative test results was curious, to say the least.

Unless I've been reading the likes of Tandler and Rich Campbell wrong since camp started and he first went down, the team's not passed him fit to practice. Whether he wanted to or not, it's kinda' hard to when they hold you back.

Hail.

Not harsh, if you remember that article from his friend, saying he knew his knees were toast, and that he had to grab a check quickly.

What is harsh, is that we were the team stupid enough to give it to him.

Problem with your logic is that if it was true, would Shanahan really have wasted his time with this? Would Kelly really have been here the whole season to work out?

I've read the article, and to me it sounds pragmatic for a guy coming off of an injury who is uncertan to be healthy by the time the season rolls around again. No one was "scammed", because everyone has the medical reports.

So what an eventful 2008 draft it was

Round 2, (34th overall) (From Raiders through Falcons) Devin Thomas WR 6'2" 215lbs. from Michigan State (bust)

Round 2, Pick 17 (48th overall) (From Texans through Falcons) Fred Davis TE 6'4" 248 lbs. from Southern Cal (marginal success, still hopeful on potential)

Round 2, Pick 20 (51st overall) Malcolm Kelly WR 6'4" 218 lbs. from Oklahoma (bust)

Round 3, Pick 33 (96th overall) (Compensatory selection) Chad Rinehart OT 6'5" 320 lbs. from Northern Iowa (bust)

Round 4, Pick 25 (124th overall) (From Titans) Justin Tryon CB 5'9" 190 lbs. from Arizona State (2nd string back up for the Colts)

Round 6, Pick 2 (168th overall) (From Rams ) Durant Brooks P 6'0" 204 lbs. from Georgia Tech (P for Jacksonville, why draft a punter? :doh:)

Round 6, Pick 14 (180th overall) (From Broncos through Rams) Kareem Moore DB 5'11" 213 lbs. from Nicholls State (oft injured back up)

Round 6, Pick 20 (186th overall) Colt Brennan QB 6'3" 205 lbs. from Hawaii (last seen pumping gas in Connecticut :ols:)

Round 7, Pick 35 (242nd overall) (Compensatory selection) Rob Jackson DE 6'4" 257 lbs. from Kansas State (back up LB for the Skins, keeper)

Round 7, Pick 42 (249th overall) (Compensatory selection) Chris Horton FS 6'0" 212 lbs. from UCLA (marginal back up)

I feel bad for Malcolm. I don't remember many NFL Athletes or any pro athletes in general that were injured 3 of the 1st 4 years as a pro. I'm hoping he can latch on to another team and have a successful career, as long as it isn't a rival. He had to be cut, but it is a shame none of the less.

BTW, is Colt Brennan really working at a gas station now?

Doubt it, but it wouldn't suprise me if he was. He was last signed by the UFL in July, and we know what happened with them.. :ols:

---------- Post added August-30th-2011 at 04:52 PM ----------

I'm sorry but I don't buy the whole "fake injury" conspiracy.

His health has been an issue all through college, in fact his injury proneness was considered to be a major drawback. We took a chance and it backfired.

yeah, i wouldn't spit on Kelly's "grave" like that. I think he genuinely wanted to get back out there, and worked hard to play, but its no surprise that his body didn't cooperate. Can't get mad at the man for that.

FYI, Devin Thomas is pretty much of a lock to make the Giants roster--as special teams player and kick off return man, and also a viable possibility for the third receiver. He is beginning to realize his potential. You will see him on 9/11 in the opener.

FYI, Devin Thomas is pretty much of a lock to make the Giants roster--as special teams player and kick off return man, and also a viable possibility for the third receiver. He is beginning to realize his potential. You will see him on 9/11 in the opener.

Thomas is the 5th receiver on the Giants depth chart. Plus, he muffed a KO return last Monday.

He's on thin ice.

Archived