Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The final death knell toll's for Malcolm Kelly .....

Gibbs Hog Heaven

So our gamble back in 2008 has finally ended in a unanimous bust. He had to go, there was no question of that. 21 games and 10 starts in three injury hit years as a pro just doesn't cut it. The writing was on the wall as soon as he went down yet again this pre-season.

But I'm still real sad now that it's final. I still stick to it that he was the best receiver of the '08 class coming out, and at the time totally worth the gamble on his limitless potential over his then knee problem. Obviously that hasn't transitioned onto the field due to the injury's, but the guy was a potential top talent coming out of OU. Big, strong and athletic with fantastic hands. Great route runner. Deceptively fast down to knowing his routes, ala Jerry Rice. But sadly that potential will doubtless remain forever unfulfilled in the pro's.

Many will mock, as they have right through his career here (I've never really understood why a guy who's never said a bad word about or caused a single moment of trouble for this organization is so vilified on here; but each to their own); and with a mere 28 receptions for 365 yards return with zero TD's over 3 years on a second round pick it's hard to argue against that. But having watched the kid at OU, and having read countless great quotes from teammates and coaches alike on the Redskins these past three years about him being both the consummate pro.; and just about the best hands and most talented receiver/player on the team when he did get out there; it all seems such a complete waste to be as good as done at 24. I think nobody will be sicker at having to make this decision than our current HC who was real high on MK from day one. But a decision that had to be made for us to move forward.

Good luck in your future endeavors Malcolm, either in football or more likely away from the game. Such a darn shame the injury bug robbed us of ever fully seeing that ability in the B&G.

Nobody can't say we didn't try.

Hail.

Injuries doesn't need an apostrophe. Neither does tolls. Neither does pros.

Hope this helps!

As far as Kelly goes...my god the Snyderato era was horrible. And even 18 months or so removed from it, we STILL get reminded every other week of how wretched it was. It's going to take a while to claw out of the depths again - I hope everybody remembers that when they are clamoring for Shanny's head after another losing season.

Hope this helps!

'Tolls' does, thank you. My bad. The plural of injury ..... shrugs, I've known it spelt three ways: Injuries/ Injurys/ Injury's. Take your pick I guess. But I'm not an English major so don't quote me.

Thanks all the same.

Hail.

Hope this helps!

As far as Kelly goes...my god the Snyderato era was horrible. And even 18 months or so removed from it, we STILL get reminded every other week of how wretched it was. It's going to take a while to claw out of the depths again - I hope everybody remembers that when they are clamoring for Shanny's head after another losing season.

My thoughts exactly. We can now put an exclamation point on the bust that was the 2008 draft. Remember how excited Vinny and Dan were when somehow those WR's that were at the top of their board were still there when it was the Skins turn to pick? They thought they had outsmarted the league and come away with some steals. It is now apparent by those picks and just about every other move that Vinny and Dan made during those years that they were clueless.

The unfortunate thing is that he seemed to get past the main concern, only to have a couple of badly timed minor injuries seal his fate here.

I agree with the OP that he was well worth the pick at the time. What he showed in college is something we have sorely needed for years, and what we currently don't have on this team. (Hankerson could get there, but he needs to rise above being the second coming of 50/50.)

I wish him luck and hope he becomes productive elsewhere.

My thoughts exactly. We can now put an exclamation point on the bust that was the 2008 draft. Remember how excited Vinny and Dan were when somehow those WR's that were at the top of their board were still there when it was the Skins turn to pick? They thought they had outsmarted the league and come away with some steals. It is now apparent by those picks and just about every other move that Vinny and Dan made during those years that they were clueless.

To be fair, most of the WRs in that 2nd round ended up being busts. I also hesitate in calling the draft a bust when changing head coaches. Fact is, Thomas, Rinehart and Tryon didn't fit in with the new coaching staff.

Harsh man. I'm sure the last thing he wanted for his career as a pro was to spend it injured picking up his paycheck.

Very harsh.

Hail.

Not harsh, if you remember that article from his friend, saying he knew his knees were toast, and that he had to grab a check quickly.

What is harsh, is that we were the team stupid enough to give it to him.

His knees haven't been a problem outside of his rookie season. That's another continued myth on here.

Unless I'm reading you wrong McD man, your basically saying Kelly knew he was never gona' be healthy enough to contribute and seem to be suggesting he happily hoodwinked us into the pick purely for money.

Each to their own prerogative, but to me that's a complete slur on a guy's character who by all accounts, per most everyone of his coaches and teammates over the duration; has been nothing but the dedicated, consummate professional who was just real unlucky with the injury bug.

I can't buy that. At all.

Hail.

Harsh man. I'm sure the last thing he wanted for his career as a pro was to spend it injured picking up his paycheck.

Very harsh.

Hail.

Really?

He didn't practice because of a "sore foot". Multiple MRIs and X-rays showed no injury to the foot.

If he had just sucked it up and practiced, the Skins could have cut him without an injury settlement. He also might have had a chance to make the team, but he had to have known that was a slim chance given the depth there.

By sitting out these weeks with the "sore foot" Kelly sealed his fate with respect to the roster, but he also guaranteed himself one last check in the form of the injury settlement.

The "sore foot" with negative test results was curious, to say the least.

Archived