Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thomas: Rubio's Tide is Rising.

Kilmer17

Love this guy.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/08/30/marco_rubios_tide_is_rising_111137.html

Marco Rubio's Tide Is Rising

By Cal Thomas

In my high school days before sex and environmental education and the general dumbing down of the population, memorization of some Shakespeare was expected in Miss Kauffman's 12th-grade English class.

A favorite I still recall is this line spoken by Brutus in "Julius Caesar": "There is a tide in the affairs of men, which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries ..."

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., repeatedly says in various ways it is too soon, or he isn't ready, for higher office such as vice president. He's been in the Senate for a little more than seven months and has delivered only two major speeches -- his maiden speech on the Senate floor and one last week at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, Calif.

In the Reagan Library speech, Rubio laid out his philosophical foundation, something that must be at the heart of any policy.

Defining the proper role of government ought to be the central issue in the coming presidential campaign. Indeed, it should occupy our thoughts between campaigns because those of us who pay income tax are not getting a good return on our investment.

Here's Rubio: "We have the opportunity -- within our lifetimes -- to actually craft a proper role for government in our nation that will allow us to come closer than any Americans have ever come to our collective vision of a nation where both prosperity and compassion exist side by side."

That takes the "compassionate conservatism" of George W. Bush to a different level. To Rubio, prosperity is not the opposite of compassion. Rather, the two are -- or should be -- joined.

Prosperity provides the means by which people can be compassionate to those truly in need, such as the disabled and elderly. It is also the ticket out of dependency for people who can work but have been robbed of their dignity by addiction to a government check.

Dignity leads to many other character qualities, which advance the true welfare of an individual, benefiting society. Someone with dignity, self-regard and respect for others is unlikely to take part in a flash mob attack.

Rubio points to a path beyond the familiar "either-or" debate; beyond envy of the wealthy and multiple and ineffective programs to liberate the "poor." This repetitive scenario has produced, said Rubio, "a government that not even the richest and most prosperous nation on the face of the Earth can fund or afford to pay for. An extraordinary tragic accomplishment, if you can call it that."

Rubio went further than what might be expected of a Republican, acknowledging his party is partly responsible for the growth of government:

"I know that it is popular in my party to blame the president, the current president. But the truth is the only thing this president has done is accelerate policies that were already in place and were doomed to fail. All he is doing through his policies is making the day of reckoning come faster, but it was coming nonetheless."

And then there is this, which shatters the left's stereotype about the right: "Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them the tools ... that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. And our programs to help them should reflect that."

If this is not a speech that lays the foundation for a Rubio run for higher office, it is a speech that ought to begin a major transition from costly and ineffective government programs to a renewed empowerment of individuals.

No one, perhaps not even Rubio, can know for certain whether he is "ready" for higher office. President Obama has proven he wasn't ready. Some leaders don't know they can lead until leadership is thrust upon them.

The right philosophy is key and the Reagan Library speech proves that Rubio has the most important ingredient of any leader: vision. Read it, be inspired and then consider whether Rubio's tide is rising.

Marco Rubio is a very compelling candidate with a great future.

Cal Thomas is a very crappy hack of a writer.

---------- Post added August-30th-2011 at 09:40 AM ----------

The Birthers won't let him be VP.

There are only a few birthers left, and most of them are only birthers when it comes to Barack Obama.

Good speech, good attitude and comportment form the one time I saw him on da TV :D. Less than wowed with the write-up. Also have minimal use for rcp as a site or primary source (yes, ya morans :pfft:, I feel roughly the same about huffington). I like Rubio's thinking (as portrayed there) if genuine and sincere. What little I know of the guy seems positive. I look forward to learning more. We need every good hand on deck no matter what their party of political affiliation.

From which, there is an easy, legal path to citizenship. Of course, I'm sure he'll produce his actual birth certificate whenever he's asked.

That's not the problem that LKB refers to. Obama has produced his birth certificate several times now.

The Birthers now claim that you can't be a "natural born citizen" under the Constitution unless both of your parents were also citizens of the US. It is total baloney, of course, but that's what they claim. Rubio was born in the US but his parents were not citizens yet. So hardcore birthers say he isn't eligible to be President either.

The thing is, there aren't very many hardcore birthers. Most birthers just hate Obama and agree with anything that they think deligitimizes him as President. Once the same arguments are raised against a GOP darling like Rubio, 98 percent of them will suddenly change their view on the issue, guaranteed.

......Also have minimal use for rcp as a site or primary source....

You really have minimal use for arguably one of the best political sites on the web? I haven't seen a sight that is as balanced as RCP, they have a healthy dose of liberal linked opinion to go with an admitted majority of conservative linked opinion.

Example here are todays linked articles (about 50-50 today).

Real Clear Politics Tuesday

Post-Irene, Obama Returns to Jobs Challenge - Alexis Simendinger, RCP

On Jobs, Time to Be Bold - Eugene Robinson, Washington Post

Whining Can't Hide Failure of Obamanomics - Steve Huntley, Chicago ST

Let's Manufacture What We Invent - Susan Hockfield, New York Times

An Unusual Economy? - Thomas Sowell, Investor's Business Daily

GOPers Hate Government - Until They Need It - Jesse Jackson, Chicago ST

For Obama, a Vineyard Too Far - Victor Davis Hanson, National Review

Why Only Republicans Called 'Anti-Science'? - Hank Campbell, Science 2.0

Romney's Plan to Beat Perry - Marc Thiessen, Washington Post

Why Mitt Romney Will Fail - Ana Marie Cox, The Guardian

Marco Rubio's Tide Is Rising - Cal Thomas, Washington Examiner

Obama's Quiet Victory in Libya - David Remnick, The New Yorker

A Premature Celebration in Libya - George Friedman, Stratfor

The Racial Violence Not Being Talked About - John Bennett, Am Thinker

Dick Cheney's Rewrite of History - Barton Gellman, Time

Cheney: "I Didn't Change, the World Changed" - Daniel Henninger, WSJ

The Real Meaning of 9/11 - Jeffrey Goldberg, The Atlantic

2012 Polls: CNN (GOP): Perry +13 | Congress Generic (RasRpts): GOP +10

RCP is very valuable, although it is a bit biased toward the conservative side. The guys who founded it admit that their goal was to get more conservative opinion aggregated into one place. There are always a few liberal pieces in there, but it is usually more than half conservative and there are always total crap from places like the American Thinker included in the mix and thus given undue legitimacy. There is never any total crap from far left sources given that opportunity.

Overall, RCP is a good thing, but you have to understand what you are getting.

From which, there is an easy, legal path to citizenship. Of course, I'm sure he'll produce his actual birth certificate whenever he's asked.

Rubio doesn't need a path to citizenship. He was born here. He's a citizen.

But, that's not good enough according to the Birthers.

Joey Farah at WND has already said so.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=339105

Two candidates for the job are mentioned over and over again – two wonderful, charismatic public servants whose only problem is they are not constitutionally eligible to be president.

They are Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida and Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana.

Don't get me wrong. I like both of these guys. If I were eligible to vote in Florida or Louisiana, I would vote to re-elect them. I would support either one for almost any job in America. But there is one job for which they are, by chance of birth, 100 percent, totally and inarguably ineligible to hold office – and that is the presidency of the United States.

Why?

Because both are sons of parents who were not U.S. citizens when they were born.

Even they don't print much from the far left. You have to go to Daily Kos.

Only the far right screamers get a national audience for their drivel. Far left screamers scream alone.

Kos annoys me because it's far left but couched inside realpolitik.

---------- Post added August-30th-2011 at 12:34 PM ----------

By the way, does anyone see the irony in Rubio's rapid rise considering how the GOP tried to make the case that Obama was an inexperienced empty shirt who gave a good speech? Rubio's career path is pretty much exactly the same as Obama's - except he basically jumped from law school into public service.

Kos annoys me because it's far left but couched inside realpolitik.

---------- Post added August-30th-2011 at 12:34 PM ----------

By the way' date=' does anyone see the irony in Rubio's rapid rise considering how the GOP tried to make the case that Obama was an inexperienced empty shirt who gave a good speech? Rubio's career path is pretty much exactly the same as Obama's - except he basically jumped from law school into public service.[/quote']

Is Rubio running for President?

---------- Post added August-30th-2011 at 05:39 PM ----------

RCP is very valuable, although it is a bit biased toward the conservative side. The guys who founded it admit that their goal was to get more conservative opinion aggregated into one place. There are always a few liberal pieces in there, but it is usually more than half conservative and there are always total crap from places like the American Thinker included in the mix and thus given undue legitimacy. There is never any total crap from far left sources given that opportunity.

Overall, RCP is a good thing, but you have to understand what you are getting.

Not sure about that. I've seen many linked articles on RCP to The Nation and The Guardian.

Is Rubio running for President?

Why does that matter?

The Vice President could become President on January 21.

The only qualification for VP is this: Can that person be president?

That's what made Palin such a horrible choice above everything else. A 74 year old man with a fairly significant medical history chose an utterly unqualified woman to be VP.

I actually think Rubio is a much better VP selection than Palin, but I think Presidential and VP candidates should be judged by the exact same standard.

I actually think Rubio is a much better VP selection than Palin . . .

Not according to what we were told in 08.

Seem back then, being a US Senator provided absolutely no qualification whatsoever to be President. (Curiously, this rule didn't apply to McCain.)

But Sarah was clearly qualified, because she had been Governor for several months, and before that, she was a Mayor, and therefore, she had "executive experience".

Why does that matter?

The Vice President could become President on January 21.

The only qualification for VP is this: Can that person be president?

That's what made Palin such a horrible choice above everything else. A 74 year old man with a fairly significant medical history chose an utterly unqualified woman to be VP.

I actually think Rubio is a much better VP selection than Palin' date=' but I think Presidential and VP candidates should be judged by the exact same standard.[/quote']

Is he running for VP? That said in reference the Palin selection we (The US) turned right around and chose an utterly unqualified man to actually be President (Just saying if you're saying Palin was unqualified you'd have to say the same about Obama).

You really have minimal use for arguably one of the best political sites on the web? I haven't seen a sight that is as balanced as RCP, they have a healthy dose of liberal linked opinion to go with an admitted majority of conservative linked opinion. f

forgive me, nonniey amigo, for indulging a pet peeve (i almost never play grammar or spelling police) but it's "site", not "sight."

but out of all i said, you want to ask about that? is it (only) because it peaked some part of your "conservative-defense" side (be honest) re: rcp?

first, i didn't stutter :pfft: and my answer remains "yes." to add on, outside of the tailgate political threads---and that has to do with modding and participating in as much of the whole ES community as a part of that community more than normal predilection---i don't usually go to or hang out at political web-sites per se (almost never). in fact, if i didn't have my relationship with es, i would not be posting anywhere on the internet about politics and likely not about football or anything else that isn't professionally related.

moreover, I notice there's often things wrong with 90% of the people who do make a "hobby" out of politicing :evilg:---it's not mentally healthy to be a political-internet obsessive (even if you tell yourself you're just "staying well-informed"). :D

I bust I bust (but for some there's more than a little truth in there). ;)

and i said "primary" source for a reason in my post, and compared it to huffington on purpose. and i am fine with my position but am open to re-evalution. even just dealing with tailgate-world, do you really think it's random happenstance that 90% of all rcp-sourced threads feature conservative leaning OPs and 90% of all huffington sourced threads perform the same role for liberal leaning OPs? I never said that the sites were totally biased or without any merit. i said what i said, and specifically used the word "primary."

i admit to being a bit differentiated in my acceptance level since one of my tasks as an occasional adjunct faculty member is qualifying validity of sources at post-grad level. if i underestimate rcp & huff, it's on me of course. it's a low priority as it stands, but at some time i won't mind re-examining my position as I have not seriously reviewed either for well over a year, though I have casually purused each several times in response to articles posted in the tailgate. thanks for helping keep me on my toes. :)

P.S. I should add that I think Kos and wnd are really bad bad bad sources :ols:

You are definitely entitled to an apology (typcial whiny conservative :pfft:) for the derailing, and here's mine. :notworthy

and while I did make an on topic post :1stplace:, I will cease any further OT comments and advise others to do the same. :D

NO NO NO. Lets let this thing go where it's going. I look forward to spending time tomorrow twisting people into knots.

Jeebus, dude, make up one of your minds. :doh:

No matter what I do, I'm wrong. :mad:

Hey! :idea:

That could be my new sig! :geek:

---------- Post added August-30th-2011 at 01:52 PM ----------

Here...in an effort to get back to giving the latest Florida figure featured in the OP just due...

http://rubio.senate.gov/record.cfm?id=330561

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator Marco Rubio announced today that he is an original co-sponsor of legislation introduced by U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) to fully repeal the health care bill that President Obama signed into law on March 23, 2010. The legislation is identical to the repeal bill that recently passed the U.S. House of Representatives. Senator Rubio is one of 34 Republicans co-sponsoring the bill. This is the first bill Senator Rubio has co-sponsored.

“It is critical for the future prosperity and health of our country that we repeal ObamaCare and replace it with common sense reforms that will lower health care costs and get more Americans insured,” said Senator Rubio. “At a time when we need to be focused on creating a pro-jobs environment in Florida and across the country, ObamaCare has only served to foster uncertainty for job creators. We need to start over with reforms that promote competition, empower patients with more options, combat fraud and integrate the latest technologies for a system that better serves the patient.”

He's too photogenic. :pfft:

Archived