Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: John Beck Makes it Easy on the Shanahans

Chiefinonhaze

I was impressed with his overall polish and crispness in play. No he may not be Manning or Brady but those type of QBs don't exactly grow on trees. He looks like a good fit for our system. People can hate all they want on the short to medium passing game but how many times did McNabb short hop those to screw up drives?

Not sure what he's making easy. I'm not impressed with Beck yet.

I take that back. I am actually impressed with his velocity on short throws over the middle and that one out to Armstrong.

Would have liked to see Armstrong run the route two yards deeper though :hammer:

Beck was solid today, and one thing he did do was shut every idiot who said he's got a weak arm up. Where that even came from is unknown, but the dude was throwing missiles the entire game. I was actually longing for one deep ball, or heck, even one touch pass from him and all he did was bullet everything into the receivers chests. Gotta love how both Beck and Grossman are doing a great job leading the backs out of the flats on their throws as well, making them catch it in stride.

It seems like thus far this preseason we've only run two fundamental plays, the stretch run and the bootleg pass. We've focused on the short throws mainly and some intermediate as well. I think Grossman throws an easier ball to catch, but Beck was impressive with his accuracy considering the velocity he had on those balls. I also like Beck more as a mobile QB than Grossman, but I still think Grossman runs this offense a little better right now.

This is a really, really good QB competition we have here. Both guys can succeed.

Would have liked to see Armstrong run the route two yards deeper though :hammer:

Wait--you might be thinking of that throw to Austin to the left where he had to dive for it and didn't get the first. I hated that throw/route. I'm talking about earlier in the game, a nice little hook or out to the right (can't remember), where Armstrong did get the first.

Wait--you might be thinking of that throw to Austin to the left where he had to dive for it and didn't get the first. I hated that throw/route. I'm talking about earlier in the game, a nice little hook or out to the right (can't remember), where Armstrong did get the first.

Ah, you're right. Good catch. I do remember the Armstrong curl route though, and agree with you.

By the way, this article is absolutely ridiculous. Why do they keep trying to stir up a controversy by acting like the Shanahan's want Grossman to fail so Beck can be the guy or something? If anyone doubts that Shanny will play the best guy for this team they're only fooling themselves. So far, I think Grossman is winning the battle, but not by much at all. Beck will probably play better against pressure, but Grossman can run the offense better as long as he's protected well.

That's modern sports media/football coverage.

A lot of these guys don't know enough football to write about Xs and Os or give interviews about the great game of football.

So they create stories.

Sadly writers are often part of the story these days.

The crazy thing is this though: I listen to 106.7 everyday (again, car radio antennae broke, no choice), and every guest they bring on there--Peter King, Grant Paulson, Rick Maese, Rick Snider, etc--they ask about Jason Reid's BS that Beck is already locked in. NOT A SINGLE ONE has backed it up or agreed that it's the case, yet it keeps getting pushed endlessly by them, PFT, and others. Hell even 980. And if Grossman starts Week 1, and Reid is obviously full of ****, next time he comes out with something controversial, they'll act like his word is golden and whatever he has to say is another universally-accepted fact.

And you're dead on, not a single one of them talks X's and O's either. It's all background, soap opera, behind the scenes bull****. How anyone listens/reads/watches that crap and takes it seriously for even a minute is beyond me.

The title of this article is terrible. If anything, John Beck made the decision harder. Before this game, Grossman was considered the starter based on his play last week. Now, its about 50-50

Depends who you believe. With Rex's performance last weekend, I assumed he was likely to get the starting nod. But there have been reports all week that the coaches still favor Beck.

The title of this article is terrible. If anything, John Beck made the decision harder. Before this game, Grossman was considered the starter based on his play last week. Now, its about 50-50

I think the article was assuming Beck was the starter before the first game, then Grossman's play made it about even, then Beck regained his lead based on his play tonight.

Beck's dink and dunk approach worked fine tonight, he looked ok, one or two passes tailed off though. He looked mobile, perhaps overly cautious. Start him against the Ravens, let's see if they can take away the dink and dunk and get him to air it out a bit more.

I think the article was assuming Beck was the starter before the first game, then Grossman's play made it about even, then Beck regained his lead based on his play tonight.

Based on the stats, Beck did not outperform Grossman. Honestly, I would not be able to choose one right now with full confidence. It seems to be dead even right now. It's certainly not an easy decision, the author of the article must be under the influence

---------- Post added August-19th-2011 at 11:43 PM ----------

Also, I think Beck will be on a mission next week. He will be playing a Ravens team that he is familiar with, and a team that cut him.

Based on the stats, Beck did not outperform Grossman. Honestly, I would not be able to choose one right now with full confidence. It seems to be dead even right now. It's certainly not an easy decision, the author of the article must be under the influence

Higher completion percentage, fewer yards, 1 less TD (which is more on Gaffney than Beck, but that's for a different thread), and 1 fewer INT. They're comparable.

Yep, the throw to Austin was a poor throw, the ball was tailing away, hence the reason Austin came up short, he had to lay out to catch it.

I was only watching with half an eye tonight, but it didn't really seem like Beck threw the ball more than 10 yards in the air. Seemed like he had some zip on the throws he did make, but I want to see what he has on the intermediate/deep routes before I declare myself at all comfortable.

[/color]Also, I think Beck will be on a mission next week. He will be playing a Ravens team that he is familiar with, and a team that cut him.

When I was reading this I first said ,"WHAT? Beck is going to go on another Morman mission before the season?" lol

Archived