Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: John Beck Makes it Easy on the Shanahans

Chiefinonhaze

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/19/john-beck-makes-it-easy-on-the-shanahans/

Washington’s Week One quarterback spot was always John Beck’s job to lose.

Beck didn’t leave anything to chance Friday night, all but guaranteeing he will get the call for the Redskins against the Giants on September 11. The BYU product completed 14-of-17 passes for 140 yards against the Colts.

Buoyed by a dominant running game, Beck led the Redskins to 16 points in the first half against Indy. (3 field goals and a touchdown.) Washington kept bogging down in the red zone, but Beck didn’t make any bad decisions.

After a slow start to camp because of a groin injury, Beck is healthy again. Most impressive was Beck’s pocket presence. He evaded the rush and moved well. It should be noted that the Colts never show up in the preseason, and they have been absolutely steamrolled two straight weeks.

That’s not Beck’s concern. The Shanahans were looking for any reason to make Beck the starter, and he made the decision easy Friday.

UPDATE: Rex Grossman didn’t lead the Redskins to any points. He threw for 88 yards on 12 attempts with an interception. Ballgame.

Good performance. But enormous dork. Did anyone see that post game interview? Sound like a JV freshman after his first scrimmage.

(that being said, I fully support him and there's nothing wrong with dorks. I discourage bullying in all contexts. If Beck wants to dance instead of play football that is fine).

Good performance. But enormous dork. Did anyone see that post game interview? Sound like a JV freshman after his first scrimmage.

(that being said, I fully support him and there's nothing wrong with dorks. I discourage bullying in all contexts. If Beck wants to dance instead of play football that is fine).

This post made me laugh.

He played well. But watta nerd. Did anyone see him in the interview?

(Its ok he can be who he is and I don't judge)

This post made me laugh.

I feel like I should mail him a chemistry book and a pokemon DVD set so he can sign it for my wall.

(not to say there's anything wrong with science. Our country needs good scientific minds. Education should be encouraged. And liking Pokemon at the age of 31 is normal. To each his own).

This post made me laugh.

Yeah, i felt the same way. The guy is quite irritating to hear talk.... But he looked good tonight. IMO he should start next week.

grossman or beck... it doesnt matter if we cant score TDs.

last week, i think we were in the red zone 5 times and scored only 1 TD. not sure how many times in the red zone tonight 6 times? but again., scored only 1 TD

i recall jason campbell being able to move the ball but failed miserably in the red zone always settling for FGs and fans gettting pissed. not sure why we arent pissed now. oh cause defense is actually playing well and keep opponents way below the league avg.

Beck does have some canned answers for the questions he's being asked, but I don't think he's a dork. He's just answering like a pro, a'la Shanahan. That being said, I don't believe the decision at QB is made. I don't think he seperated himself that dramatically, but I could see how Shanahan would prefer his game management skills (take what's there, don't take unecessary risks). I think we'll know a hell of a lot more about what Beck can do next week.

Beck does have some canned answers for the questions he's being asked, but I don't think he's a dork. He's just answering like a pro, a'la Shanahan. That being said, I don't believe the decision at QB is made. I don't think he seperated himself that dramatically, but I could see how Shanahan would prefer his game management skills (take what's there, don't take unecessary risks). I think we'll know a hell of a lot more about what Beck can do next week.

I agree with everything you just said, except the part about him not being a huge dork.

(I'd be pleased to have him as our QB, as long as he wins).

Crazy how one person can write an op-ed column (J Reid) and then it becomes a universal fact.
That's modern sports media/football coverage.

A lot of these guys don't know enough football to write about Xs and Os or give interviews about the great game of football.

So they create stories.

Sadly writers are often part of the story these days.

I agree with everything you just said, except the part about him not being a huge dork.

(I'd be pleased to have him as our QB, as long as he wins).

Fair enough, he has dorkish tendancies, but that doesn't worry me a bit. I always thought Rypien was a dork, but damned if I didn't grow to love that dork. IMO, Doug Williams is also a little socially awkward, not Charles Mann sideline-reporting awkward, but awkward. Love em all.

Fair enough, he has dorkish tendancies, but that doesn't worry me a bit. I always thought Rypien was a dork, but damned if I didn't grow to love that dork. IMO, Doug Williams is also a little socially awkward, not Charles Mann sideline-reporting awkward, but awkward. Love em all.

Rypien was more a gentle giant than a dork. Williams was antisocial. So was Schroeder. Brunell was a turd. Campbell was pretty cool. Beck is a dork.

Archived