Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: John Beck Makes it Easy on the Shanahans

Chiefinonhaze

I believe both Shanahans believe that Grossman gives the team the best shot to win for the first few games by a very slight edge due to the experience he has in the system. However, I also believe they see something in Beck that others cannot see in from the plain eye. Most naysayers will say that Beck was Mr. Checkdown, and throw out all the stats that will preclude people to conclude Grossman was better than Beck. Yet people did not realize that the Colts ran a strict tampa 2 cover scheme. This was predicated on ONLY 4 rushing linemen and everyone else dropping back into coverage. Beck dictated the offense through what the defense gave him.

With Grossman you know what you will get, however Beck has plenty of potential to be BETTER

I believe both Shanahans believe that Grossman gives the team the best shot to win for the first few games by a very slight edge due to the experience he has in the system. However, I also believe they see something in Beck that others cannot see in from the plain eye. Most naysayers will say that Beck was Mr. Checkdown, and throw out all the stats that will preclude people to conclude Grossman was better than Beck. Yet people did not realize that the Colts ran a strict tampa 2 cover scheme. This was predicated on ONLY 4 rushing linemen and everyone else dropping back into coverage. Beck dictated the offense through what the defense gave him.

With Grossman you know what you will get, however Beck has plenty of potential to be BETTER

How can you say that, when Beck's 30+ years old?

Another reason I think Beck might get the nod is Rex signed a one year contract with us. Let's say if Rex does start and has a good season with us, he will probably want to paid like a probowl QB. He was already holding out for starter money a few weeks ago. Do we trust Rex to be a long term solution if he has a decent year and sign him to a big contract? With Beck, although he is only one year younger than Rex, may fit more of a long term solution, kind of like Romo sits to pee with Dallas.

Well, they may also want a guy to play reliably who can eventually be a solid backup if they plan on trying to groom a guy in the draft (if you buy the idea that the future starter isn't on the roster yet). Either way, I think people need to wait and see how the guys do in the season first before they think that one or the other will suck or succeed.

AGREED....if Hank and the coaches can get him comfortable down there.....BOOM!

You'll also notice that we aren't targeting Fred Davis in the Redzone much at all. I think we're saving that bad boy for the season and working on less reliable things right now.

Beck just turned 30 today. He's not over 30.
Why add the plus when he just turned 30 today?
Saw another poster claim he was 31. Checked now and he indeed just turned 30. This still does not speak well for any "upside".

Why claim Beck somehow has tremendous upside, when he's 30 and in his 5th year in the league?

edit:

Because he's 30 years + 16 hours old. :silly:
Ummm, yeah! That's the ticket! :silly:

Saw another poster claim he was 31. Checked now and he indeed just turned 30. This still does not speak well for any "upside".

Why claim Beck somehow has tremendous upside, when he's 30 and in his 5th year in the league?

edit:

Ummm, yeah! That's the ticket! :silly:

Well, there is some upside if Beck turns out to be a good QB. If that is the case, he can be our guy for the next 5-6 years. That's a good chunk of time.

Well, there is some upside if Beck turns out to be a good QB. If that is the case, he can be our guy for the next 5-6 years. That's a good chunk of time.
You could say the same about Grossman, though. Only about 1 year's difference. With Grossman having the better arm.

You could say the same about Grossman, though. Only about 1 year's difference. With Grossman having the better arm.

True, however, I think the jury is still out on who has the better arm. I think I read somewhere here that Beck had a strong arm at the combine, throwing with great velocity. I would like to see Beck go deep during the game, but re-watching the game, it doesn't look like going deep was part of the play calling. I would've liked it though, even if it was a deep ball that sailed out of bounds, just to get an idea of whats up.

True, however, I think the jury is still out on who has the better arm. I think I read somewhere here that Beck had a strong arm at the combine, throwing with great velocity. I would like to see Beck go deep during the game, but re-watching the game, it doesn't look like going deep was part of the play calling. I would've liked it though, even if it was a deep ball that sailed out of bounds, just to get an idea of whats up.
Yeah, I think like another poster said, the Colt's 1st D simply wasn't giving up anything but short. I really think Beck just hasn't shown if he has one or not, we'll see.

grossman or beck... it doesnt matter if we cant score TDs.

last week, i think we were in the red zone 5 times and scored only 1 TD. not sure how many times in the red zone tonight 6 times? but again., scored only 1 TD

i recall jason campbell being able to move the ball but failed miserably in the red zone always settling for FGs and fans gettting pissed. not sure why we arent pissed now. oh cause defense is actually playing well and keep opponents way below the league avg.

Im not pissed. Be pissed if we settle for field goals again this season like last. Defense will tire itself out as usual if nothing changes in offensive inconsistencies. Skins average 24 points a game we'll win them all. This team will not win with the 3 point mentality. And why not work this crap out come Thursday against the Ravens who's goal is to take absolute delight in beating the fart out of our Skins?

Stop labeling Beck as the starter. He played well but he did not seperate himself as being better than Grossman. At least I know what Grossman can do and I rather go with him unless Beck plays lights out in the next two preseason games. If Beck is the starter in week 1 then so be it. He just needs to play well enough to give us a chance to win without making mistakes.

Archived