Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: John Beck Makes it Easy on the Shanahans

Chiefinonhaze

lol you guys should just get over yourself, its funny you claim i made the decision on rex in 2 preseason games which i did not ,but you guys are ready to make a decision on beck after 1 half of a game against a cruddy defense. You all can call me out all you guys want, but if he starts against the ravens you will see exactly wat im talking about. Beck has to throw somethin more then rb screens and quick slants. He needs to try more intermediate passes and deep passes to see where this kid really is with his progression. Im not a beck fan period, but as i said people have there own opinions. Beck will get knocked around and make bad decisions once teams like the ravens stack the box and force him to throw somethin deeper.

Go look at the stats from last night. Stallworth for 23yarder, Gaffney for a 19. These arent dink and dunk. The one to Gaffney at the 1 should have been a TD if Gaffney would have stretched a foot. He had a few nice 3rd down conversions to keep drives alive. Whats not to like? Just because he didnt try to force a bomb down the field, he cant play?

Saw far the Ravens have looked like Sh*t so not sure they are a great measuring stick.

It's only one game, but the way he way used last night, it looks like Beck will deployed more as a game management style QB.

Looks like we have a strong ground attack, he just has to play smart, make the dinks and dunks and not turn the ball over.

Based on the evidence of last night, it looks like that's a role he can perform. His mobility is v good and the system is designed to make the most of that.

Difficult to read too much into two pre-season games, but it seems like the defense is really going to have to make a step up this year in performance if our offensive strategy is run, dink and dunk and put up 13-16 points a game.

This post made me laugh.

He played well. But watta nerd. Did anyone see him in the interview?

(Its ok he can be who he is and I don't judge)

Maybe I am too big of a nerd to see his nerdiness but I just don't see that. I see a man who's excited to be playing. Then again, maybe I am just not digging deep enough. :)

---------- Post added August-20th-2011 at 09:41 AM ----------

Beck was ok last night but Grossman is still the lead dog in the race.
And LL56 weighed in! Thanks LL56! Always appreciate you giving insight.

I'm quite pleased for the performance of both of our quarterbacks. Beck executed well on what he was asked to do tonight. It had to be a pressure-packed moment for him., and he did fairly well to keep things close in the QB competition. I also think he's performed well enough to make his teammates and coaches feel that he can run the offense well enough to justify more opportunities.

Grossman set a high benchmark last week against the Steelers -- and with 2nd teamers vs. a lot of Indy's first team D, Rex still showed me a lot. He's an emotional leader, and very confident in his arm -- that's going to bring you good moments and bad ones. I think he's still a strong contender for starting QB, simply because he's got a better deep pass than what Beck has shown, so far. On the other hand, Beck is showing that he's willing to play within the system, to be extremely patient, and delivery all the quick dinks and dunks that Kyle dialed up; he's a coaches QB. It's a good competition.

I also suspect Beck was asked not to try throwing deep, mainly from considerations of his recent groin injury. Beck probably uses his lower body to generate power on his long throws, and maybe the groin strain is still a factor. But by doing what he was asked and dialing his passes down to short/intermediate range, Beck really did help the team continue to evaluate, to run more routes, and show how well they can catch the easy ones and run after the catch. By effectively attacking the inside short/medium zones of the defense, It opened lanes for the running game on the outside. That allowed the coaches more opportunities to see how well Helu and others might handle their duties. What's not to like from our two preseason sessions of vanilla offense?

Bottom line is that BOTH QBs are showing good accuracy and timing -- getting the ball out quickly, decent ball-handling, executing the planned rollouts well, and finding the open receiver in a crowd. Turnovers have been minimized. The team is converting third downs, and sustaining long drives -- giving Redskins offensive players more gametime practice, and allowing the coaches to more opportunity to evaluate the team. The team moves crisply, and overall is playing like a solid unit -- and seems to be 'gelling' effectively and early in this preseason.

That's a lot of positives for me - I'm not going to let some smarmy columnist put his own negative spin on what was an enjoyable night of preseason football. It's still early, but so far the Skins are having a decent and effective preseason.

I was impressed with Beck. His ball had some zip on it (the pass ti Gaffney on the.goal line)and, yes, he checked down several times, but when he did he made the pass for nice yardage. (as opposed to one hopping the ball or forcing an int).

I did not know he was as mobile as he showed last night.

Both QBs struggled in the red zone. Overall, I though he did a nice job managing the game.

lol you guys should just get over yourself, its funny you claim i made the decision on rex in 2 preseason games which i did not ,but you guys are ready to make a decision on beck after 1 half of a game against a cruddy defense. You all can call me out all you guys want, but if he starts against the ravens you will see exactly wat im talking about. Beck has to throw somethin more then rb screens and quick slants. He needs to try more intermediate passes and deep passes to see where this kid really is with his progression. Im not a beck fan period, but as i said people have there own opinions. Beck will get knocked around and make bad decisions once teams like the ravens stack the box and force him to throw somethin deeper.

I haven't made any decisions. As for throwing deeper passes, yes he'll need to do that if the defense takes away the shorter routes. But let's go over the results last night. No punts. No turnovers. Points on every drive. Three incompletions, the first of which should have been a touchdown if Mike Sellers isn't tripped. the second deflected at the line and the third an intentional throwaway at the fullback's feet. So essentially that's one pass that didn't find it's target. You can downplay the results all you want but the defense gave the Skins the underneath routes and Beck took advantage of it. And chew on this, his 8.2 ypa would have tied him for 2nd in the entire NFL last year. Other positives, he's got a really quick release. He's got very quick feet. He's got good straight line speed. He appears to be accurate on the move. That latter comment may have been just a factor that it was a good night for him since we just haven't seen enough of him however.

A long way to go before we anoint Beck as anything but last night was encouraging. You have to be completely blind or in denial to not find the outing encouraging. And what happens if he does well against the Big Bad Ravens D? We already know the answer. It doesn't matter because it's preseason.

The offense is really predicated on the short passing game. Always has been. Once teams realize we are adept at it . . . which won't take long. He will be able to exploit with YAC type of plays. Our running game is going to keep teams honest. We now have guys that can hit it and go. It will be dangerous for teams to play us nine in the box.

Plus, Beck will get better and better at running this offense. He will become a student of the offense. He just seems to be that type of guy. You also can't discount his mobility. I predict in two years, both Beck and McCoy will be star West Coast Offense quarterbacks.

The offense is really predicated on the short passing game. Always has been. Once teams realize we are adept at it . . . which won't take long. He will be able to exploit with YAC type of plays. Our running game is going to keep teams honest. We now have guys that can hit it and go. It will be dangerous for teams to play us nine in the box.

Plus, Beck will get better and better at running this offense. He will become a student of the offense. He just seems to be that type of guy. You also can't discount his mobility. I predict in two years, both Beck and McCoy will be star West Coast Offense quarterbacks.

In two years a qb will be starting that is not on the current roster.

In two years a qb will be starting that is not on the current roster.

We look like we are in the right position roster wise (depth and youth, who'd have thought it lol) to be able to move up, if required. I'm assuming we want a QB that can consistently win us big games against talented teams? I'm also assuming we'll be drafting rather than trading for that QB?

Just found this blog from Chris Russell, 980's Beat Reporter who actually used to think until recently that it would be Grossman's job

http://redskins.espn980.com/bloggers/chris-russell/item/125-becks-closing-in

John Beck should win the starting job for the Washington Redskins at Quarterback, and be under center on September 11. He might not be the 'chosen one,' but by sheer determination, and because of his outstanding mobility -- he might just be the 'preferred one.'

Publicly, the Redskins quarterback competition is a true battle. Inside, it is obvious that the preference of Mike Shanahan and probably Kyle Shanahan is John Beck.

Two games in to the 2011 pre-season, and nothing has been decided purely by on-field performance. That's a problem for Grossman however. Rex needed to make it clear that he was the better of the two, and so far he hasn't. I believed that Rex would win the job based on his extra experience in the scheme, and his game action at the end of last year. I still think he has a shot, but with each passing day; it's apparent that as long as Beck doesn't look woeful on Thursday night in Baltimore, it is his job to start and perhaps lose. That's not to say Grossman has been bad, or done anything terribly wrong. It's just that he hasn't done enough (in the right category) to edge out the 'preferred one.'

Grossman played much more in the 2nd half on Friday night in Indianapolis, then we were led to believe. In talking to sources, and based on what Mike Shanahan said last week -- the plan was to play Grossman in a very limited role, if at all. So what changed? Did Beck's good 1st half performance; change the game plan? Did the Shanahan's feel they needed to see what Rex could do working with the 2nd team offensive line? Grossman was (7-12) for 88 yards, he was sacked once and intercepted once. Before Grossman was sacked on 3rd down for a five-yard loss on his 2nd series of work, Leonard Hankerson dropped a beautiful pass that would have gone for at least a 20-yard gain and perhaps more. If Hankerson catches the pass, perhaps the Redskins score on that drive, instead of coming away empty and Grossman could at least say -- he led a scoring drive with backups and rookies.

Instead, Grossman came away with basically nothing, except for a bad interception and as Mike Shanahan said on Friday night; "He'd like to have that pick back." Again, Rex did not separate himself. Nor has he in practice. Neither has Beck for that matter, but of course he basically gave away the week advantage he had over Rex, because of the untimely groin injury. During practices that the media was allowed to see, we have seen 'good Rex' and 'bad Rex,' and a healthy dose of both. Starting today, we are no longer allowed to see anything meaningful in team situations, so the evaluation process from our perspective; can only come from the games.

I expect, and I think most people expect -- Beck to start against a defense that he is more familiar with then Grossman, because of Beck's time with the Ravens. As long as Beck does a serviceable to good job in what likely would be a two-and-a-half or three quarter final audition -- that should lock up the week 1 start.

His mobility advantage over Rex, is a clear separating element and Grossman might just have to tip his cap to him, and swallow his pride. Rex has experience in the system and in games, that Beck does not. However, Beck has more athleticism and that might count more then any other factor. I still think that the Redskins would be better off with Grossman to start the year against the Giants, with a short leash. However, my opinion doesn't really matter, and with the competition on the field as of this point, being virtually even -- you would probably be safe to say that if all things remain equal, Beck will get the nod. That's fine, I believe both will play a significant role at some point or another over 16 games -- but it seems like the 'preferred one' is getting closer and closer to fulfilling his destiny.

One thing that is awesome about this competition: its a REAL competition.

When is the last time we had a real one in Washington? Brunell/Ramsey was fake, Gibbs was starting brunell the whole way. Campbell/Brunell? Campbell was handed the job due to draft status... Campbell/Collins? Had Gibbs returned it may have been one.

To me this is the first real competition in the past decade.

Archived