Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: John Beck Makes it Easy on the Shanahans

Chiefinonhaze

Beck deserves the shot other recent 2nd rounders have gotten. Either he will turn into Kevin Kolb and start for us, or at least net us a good trade, and if not we can cut our losses on the 2nd coming of Trent edwards and start Grossman. Just stick the guy in there against a good D and find out if he's really legit.

By looking at tonight's games, Beck looks a lot better than Kolb, but it's still very, very early.

colts defense is hot garbage, if all you can do is dink and dunk against them you have issues. Grossman was goin over the middle quite a bit when he came in the the 2nd stringers lol to me your just validating my point. I promise you that if beck starts against the ravens he throws a couple ints. When they load that box up and or blitz you will see.

Sam Bradford's long was 18 yards, I guess he's got issues.

:secret: Grossman averaged 7.3 against the second and third stringers, with a long of 25. Beck averaged 8.2 against the starters, with a long of 23. Hardly a validation of your point.

honestly i just think some of you are just reaching for straws really lol since when do u start a rookie qb at the age of 29 over a guy whos been in the system 3 yrs? grossman lookd great last wk, so beck comes in and throws for 140 yrds and everyone ditches grossman. Beck isnt the answer

You obviously have "Hate in your eyes" in regards to Beck.

absolutely do. there are reasons why this guy hardly started for an nfl team. Grossman or Beck isnt the answer, but id definately take grossman and the better chance to win then Beck. People jumpin on becks bandwagon simply cuz he had an average game against a lousy defense, in fact i hope beck starts next wknd. all of you will be changing your minds

absolutely do. there are reasons why this guy hardly started for an nfl team. Grossman or Beck isnt the answer, but id definately take grossman and the better chance to win then Beck. People jumpin on becks bandwagon simply cuz he had an average game against a lousy defense, in fact i hope beck starts next wknd. all of you will be changing your minds

He averaged a whole yard less than Beck against a weaker defense tonight. Explain that away.

thats easy bro, outside of the one bad play he made on the Int, the wrs(hankerson) was droppin passes. otherwise it woulda been higher. I have the game on dvr, i just got finished watchn grossmans drives. Btw he was also playing with 2nd stringers haha

thats easy bro, outside of the one bad play he made on the Int, the wrs(hankerson) was droppin passes. otherwise it woulda been higher. I have the game on dvr, i just got finished watchn grossmans drives. Btw he was also playing with 2nd stringers haha

Hankerson had one drop. It's not like 85 dropped every pass thrown his way.

Beck's dink and dunk approach worked fine tonight, he looked ok, one or two passes tailed off though. He looked mobile, perhaps overly cautious. Start him against the Ravens, let's see if they can take away the dink and dunk and get him to air it out a bit more.

That's what Indy does with their Tampa 2. They snuff out the deep balls and are willing to risk getting burnt underneath because all they have to do is to make sure they cough up less than what their QB can fetch for them.

Yeah, I love how you know all the answers simply because you saw Rex get a lucky TD because Moss spun away from a defender against a Steelers team that got chewed out for mailing it in. Regardless of how much more the Colts defense played or didn't play, its just as dumb to claim you think Grossman is so much better for what he did in the first game of preseason as people who are saying Beck is a lot better because of his game against the Colts. They both played well, but I don't see how you can claim Beck is destined to suck just because he couldn't succeed on a Miami team with no oline, no WRs and no coach for a majority of time he was even on the team.

guys just stop already about the ignorant tampa 2 crap already, just because thats what defense they run doesnt mean you cant hit intermediate to deep routes. Basically the play calling was so rediculously easy 2nite, most of the qbs in the league woulda had those numbers with the starters

Yeah, I love how you know all the answers simply because you saw Rex get a lucky TD because Moss spun away from a defender against a Steelers team that got chewed out for mailing it in. Regardless of how much more the Colts defense played or didn't play, its just as dumb to claim you think Grossman is so much better for what he did in the first game of preseason as people who are saying Beck is a lot better because of his game against the Colts. They both played well, but I don't see how you can claim Beck is destined to suck just because he couldn't succeed on a Miami team with no oline, no WRs and no coach for a majority of time he was even on the team.

btw i never chose grossman on wat he did in game 1, i chose grossman based on his play last yr as well. He isnt the answer and neither is Beck, but grossman is the better of the 2. but wat grossman did in week 1 is a higher feat then wat beck did against a lousy defense who doesnt have bob sanders anymore. Ill gladly eat crow if beck starts against the ravens and doesnt get raped a new 1

guys just stop already about the ignorant tampa 2 crap already, just because thats what defense they run doesnt mean you cant hit intermediate to deep routes. Basically the play calling was so rediculously easy 2nite, most of the qbs in the league woulda had those numbers with the starters

Sure, you can hit intermediate to deep routes on it, just like you can hit the hail mary pass at the end of the game against a prevent. Doesn't mean it's the norm. The way you beat the Tampa 2 is by exploiting underneath. Every team does it, yet Beck is horrible because he does it to. You use what the defense gives you, and in this case, the defense gives the underneath.

We'll see. I thought he was slow to make decisions and didn't get rid of the ball when the pressure was on. Just look at the play where he got horsecollared. A true veteran QB would've gotten rid of that ball and not have taken the sack.

HTTR

Um yeah, except that anyone who watches Colts' regular season games know that teams have an easy time hitting checkdown after checkdown against them. And it's obvious that to you attack the Tampa 2 deep in the area between the safety and cornerback.

As a bears fan, yes the tampa 2 is basically DESIGNED to cut off the big plays, keep things in front of you, make the offense sustain long drives. It works because most QBs, rbs, etc cannot do this and the mistakes (fumbles, ints, penalties) eventually bail the defense out. It works but it is an awful system to watch, and i think it is the worst matchup for a player like grossman who is always looking to make big 20+ yard passing plays.

btw i never chose grossman on wat he did in game 1, i chose grossman based on his play last yr as well. He isnt the answer and neither is Beck, but grossman is the better of the 2. but wat grossman did in week 1 is a higher feat then wat beck did against a lousy defense who doesnt have bob sanders anymore. Ill gladly eat crow if beck starts against the ravens and doesnt get raped a new 1

The Colts have had a decent passing D without Bob Sanders for 3-4 seasons now since he never is on the field anyway. The Steelers didn't have Ike Taylor nor did Troy really play all that long, so its not like their passing D was going to be top notch either.

Regardless, the point is that Grossman has been so far just a plain average QB that tends to make a lot of turnovers. No one here really knows much about Beck or what he can do, but we do know he ran what they asked him to do tonight well enough to think hes capable of something more than just being some god awful turnover machine.

That's what you do against the Colts defense. They play a deep Cover 2, to specifically stop the deep balls. You beat them by throwing underneath. Beck averaged over 8 yards per attempt. That's an awesome average for a QB. Meanwhile, against the same defense, Grossman averaged 7.3 yards per attempt. Against the Steelers, he averaged just under 8 yards per attempt. Beck's doing just fine thank you very much.

this...Beck threw for over 8.2 ypa on 17 attempts. That is explosive. 7.5-8.5 yards per throw is an explosive offense. You cant deny that...Beck was effieicent, accurate, and EXPLOSIVE. San Diego had the highest YPA last season at 7.76http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/2_992_Passing_YPA.html

sorry, but the proof is in the pudding....the question now is this. CAN HE DO THIS CONSISTENTLY We have a top 10 offense if the answer to that question is yes. Evalutation isnt over yet, so lets see what he does next week If this continues, you cant deny the starting job to Beck. 16 first downs in the first half and 16 points as well. He showed well. The competition is in full swing but i do believe that Beck has the edge.

We'll see. I thought he was slow to make decisions and didn't get rid of the ball when the pressure was on. Just look at the play where he got horsecollared. A true veteran QB would've gotten rid of that ball and not have taken the sack.

HTTR

i agree with you, and i hope he starts against the ravens defense, they will find some other excuse as well, but when he actually has to face some real pressure hes gonna fold like a lawn chair. Thats always been the knock on him and always will

---------- Post added August-20th-2011 at 01:35 AM ----------

and honestly none of this really matters, Next yr in the draft were gonna take a Qb anyways lol

Archived