Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per PFT : Jamaal Charles was once almost dealt to the Redskins

eguns

I don't understand the big difference between a 3rd and a 4th. I mean really? You were willing to throw 2 1st's to the Bengals for Ocho but we couldn't do a 3rd for Charles?

The only thing I can figure is he didnt see the potential (shocker :rolleyes:). He was 4th on the depth chart and had yet to become "Jamaal Charles".

I have no love lost on Vinnie whatsoever. But just to play Devil's Advocate here for a second.... At the time, according to this report, Charles was listed fourth on the Chief's depth chart. Imagine for a moment that deal HAD happened... Skins give up fourth rounder for Chief's FOURTH RB.... This place would have melted down harder than Chernobyl.

Yeah, he's a complete monster now. But then, total gamble. Hindsight ya'll.

I agree with the quoted post above. To be complaining that we didn't make this trade is ridiculous. At the time of the trade Charles' stats were as follows.

GP- 16

GS- 2

Attempts: 67

Yards: 357

AVG: 5.3

Long: 30

TD: 0

REC: 27

Yards: 272

AVG: 10.1

LNG: 75

TD: 1

Fumbles: 2

Outsides of a nice yards per carry on only 67 attempts he had more fumbles than scores. There would have been outrage that we traded a third round pick of "an undersized third down back."

Jamaal Charles has since become a great running back. Vinny Cerratto has always sucked. Cool. This wasn't a blunder of a non-trade, just an interesting "what could have been."

I agree with the quoted post above. To be complaining that we didn't make this trade is ridiculous. At the time of the trade Charles' stats were as follows.

GP- 16

GS- 2

Attempts: 67

Yards: 357

AVG: 5.3

Long: 30

TD: 0

REC: 27

Yards: 272

AVG: 10.1

LNG: 75

TD: 1

Fumbles: 2

Outsides of a nice yards per carry on only 67 attempts he had more fumbles than scores. There would have been outrage that we traded a third round pick of "an undersized third down back."

Jamaal Charles has since become a great running back. Vinny Cerratto has always sucked. Cool. This wasn't a blunder of a non-trade, just an interesting "what could have been."

Exactly, and thank you.

Now, the two firsts for Chad however....... by all means, grab the pitchforks and light the torches.

Hindsight is 20/20. No one knew how Charles would turn out. It could be turned around too. Peterson almost traded Charles for 3rd which would have been a blunder too. If anyone knew how the trades would have turned out, then they probably would have made different choices. I am not defending Vinny's decision making, but it's just really easy to bash someone for something that was never done.

Well, look at it this way. Vinny was the top talent evaluator as GM or whatever his title was. The word potential should have been the first thing out of his mouth. While a 3rd may have been high, a 5.3 ypc is tough to argue with behind a crappy KC team. It beats anything Tung Candidate was doing in St. Louis...

very interesting article about Jamaal Charles almost being in the Burgundy and Gold. A 3rd rounder, yet we traded an 2nd for Jason Taylor and 2nd for Donovan Mcnabb!

"He was fourth on the depth chart during the 2009 offseason when Todd Haley took over, so the Redskins came calling to see if the Chiefs would move Charles. Vinny Cerrato said on his radio station Friday that the Redskins offered a fourth-round pick.

According to Cerrato (via the Kansas City Star), the Chiefs countered by asking for third-round pick. The Redskins said no and talks fizzled"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/19/jamaal-charles-was-once-almost-dealt-to-the-redskins/

This idiot has his own station?

It truly beggars belief the more he opens his mouth and happily admits one dumb move after another; that a guy as savvy as Snyder who's gotten to where he's gotten in business could be hoodwinked for so long into believing bug eyes was the right man for the job.

I'd of loved to of been a fly on the wall through those raqcuetball games. The conversations those two boneheads doubtless had on players must of been frightening.

Praise the Lord the owner has finally seen the light.

Hail.

Does anyone else actually enjoy hearing these stories from Vinny? He was awful here and thank goodness he is gone, but i do find it entertaining to hear his stories now. Every other coach or gm would deny 99 % of these stories coming out but Vinny just tells it like it was. Its awesome to hear an ex GM be honest and put some of their potential moves and thoughts at the time out to the public. Even if it does make him look like even more of a dbag, keep on Vinny!

So if Gabbert turns out to be good, then Shanny and Allen are idiots for trading down? Again, hindsight is 20/20. I felt as though trading down was a great idea at the time. When you make a personel decision and set a limit on what you want or what you will give up, you stick to it.

I am more impressed that Vinny thought he had value for a 4th but wasn't worth a 3rd and stuck to his guns.

very interesting article about Jamaal Charles almost being in the Burgundy and Gold. A 3rd rounder, yet we traded an 2nd for Jason Taylor and 2nd for Donovan Mcnabb!

"He was fourth on the depth chart during the 2009 offseason when Todd Haley took over, so the Redskins came calling to see if the Chiefs would move Charles. Vinny Cerrato said on his radio station Friday that the Redskins offered a fourth-round pick.

According to Cerrato (via the Kansas City Star), the Chiefs countered by asking for third-round pick. The Redskins said no and talks fizzled"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/19/jamaal-charles-was-once-almost-dealt-to-the-redskins/

Actually at the time yea a 4th seems fair. Obviously now that 3rd which we used on Jarmon correct. Would have been a MAJOR steal. Another BAD non-move by Vinny. No suprise there.

As terrible as Vinny was, I think people would be calling that a classic Redskins move if he turned out to be terrible. Hindsight is 20/20 and Charles had a really good college career but had really proven nothing in the NFL. The fact that he's succeeding could have just as much to do with his situation in KC as it does with his talent.

Jamaal Charles can't pick up a blitz to save his life last time I checked. 4th rounder sounds about right.

Huh? That's not what he's getting paid to do. Dude's one of the most electric RB's in the league. I'd argue he's THE most electric.

No way to know whether he would have reached that potential here, but this comment is just ignorant.

Huh? That's not what he's getting paid to do. Dude's one of the most electric RB's in the league. I'd argue he's THE most electric.

No way to know whether he would have reached that potential here, but this comment is just ignorant.

LOL at football noob who thinks a speed-back with no blocking skills could be successful on this Redskins team.

LOL at football noob who thinks a speed-back with no blocking skills could be successful on this Redskins team.

When you have a talent like that on your team, you adjust. He'd be fine. And even if he wouldn't, that has nothing to do with his trade value to the Chiefs.

Signed,

"football noob"

Right but if you saw potential in him for a 4th, why not a 3rd? Unless Vinny didn't really believe in him

Because sometimes when you assign a value to a player you don't budge. It's adding that little bit extra all the time that led to a complete lack of draft picks and overpaid "stars" that the Cerratto era was known for. I'm personally impressed he was able to say no.

He may be that now but at the time he wasn't. He was the fourth man on the depth chart without the ability to pass protect. That is completely reasonable to downgrade the compensation one would offer up. If a player isn't a three down, complete player then they don't get the kind of compensation that a three down player would get.

Derrick Ward had very comparable stats.

GP 16

GS 0

Attempts 50

Yards 315

AVG 6.3

Long 38

TD 4

"Should we?"

How about Jerome Harrison at 6ypc?

Danny Woodhead at 5.6?

Rashad Jennings at 5.5?

Chris Ivory at 5.2?

It's really easy to look at a high YPC that translated to a great RB and say "we should have traded more." The fact is most of the players I just listed are not going to be productive full time starting players and would not be worth that sort of trade compensation. There are plenty more that could be used as examples as well that is just a few from last season.

Archived