Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Rick Perry’s made-up ‘facts’ about climate change

JMS

So is conflating a catastrophic blowout and subsequent loss off a drilling platform with a spill ....but some like their things simple

It does look like God hates BP don't it ?

I think a meteorite hitting your house, of you hitting a deer with your car could fall under an act of god. I know in the insurance world its something involving nature. This does not fall under that. A faulty piece of machinery, or poor standards that allowed an offshore platform to explode or fall apart doesn't fall under that. Bad luck? Maybe. Act of God? Really? Would that mean its fair to ask what god has against the people of the gulf? Or the ecology there?

This country is long overdue for a backlash against The Stupid

I think a meteorite hitting your house, of you hitting a deer with your car could fall under an act of god. I know in the insurance world its something involving nature. This does not fall under that. A faulty piece of machinery, or poor standards that allowed an offshore platform to explode or fall apart doesn't fall under that. Bad luck? Maybe. Act of God? Really? Would that mean its fair to ask what god has against the people of the gulf? Or the ecology there?

I'm sure BP's exec's LOVE to argue that... maybe they wrote Perry's talking points

:munchout:

It seems that we are reaching a point where litmus tests for GOP nomination are sufficient to disqualify people from the general election :dunce:

:munchout:

:ols: true enough

But it is a odd thing to worry over Perry inserting creationism into schools since he believes in local control of education.

In fact if he reduces govt control,he by default removes religions influence in everyones lfe except from the populist vote.

it is not him ya need to fear,but rather your neighbors :evilg:

The act of god thing wasn't meant literally, according to Perry.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/deepwaterhorizon/6989921.html

AUSTIN — Gov. Rick Perry, under fire from Democrats for referring to an “act of God” when answering a question about the Gulf oil spill, defended his answer Tuesday and told a reporter to “go look it up ... in the dictionary.”

“If you will go look up the definition of ‘act of God,' we've used it in legal terms for a long time in this state,” the GOP governor, appearing annoyed, told reporters outside the Capitol when asked about his comments in Washington on Monday. “Nobody knows what happened, and I said that in my remarks, that there was a lot of speculation. It could have been an act of God, it could have been, you know, who knows?”

Asked what he meant by the phrase, Perry said, “Here's what I want you to do. I want you to go look it up, the definition, in the dictionary. I meant exactly what Webster's says by that.

“It's something that no one can put their finger on, and it may be an accident, it may be something else,” he said, “I do think it is very intriguing that those of you in the media have focused in on one statement when the clear definition of that is pretty easy to get your hands on.”

The definition

Barron's Dictionary of Insurance Terms defines it as, “a natural occurrence beyond human control or influence. Such acts of nature include hurricane, earthquakes and floods.”

Perry called speculation over the cause of the catastrophe “irresponsible.”

“I go back to the safety of those workers, the safety of our coast, but you balance that with the impact that a knee-jerk reaction to stop all drilling — you know, I watched a news report yesterday with one of the young Kennedys, who was speculating about that ‘this hadn't been done and that hadn't been done,' and frankly, speculation to promote one's position is irresponsible,” Perry said. “I think at the end of the day, we'll have a better idea on whether this administration responded quickly enough and appropriately enough, but I don't think anyone can say at this particular point in time whether they did or they didn't.”

Barron's Dictionary of Insurance Terms defines it as, “a natural occurrence beyond human control or influence. Such acts of nature include hurricane, earthquakes and floods.”

Oh, so he's not a liar, just an idiot

good to see he has a consistent faith based belief system in regards to everything, including health and safety codes

According to Webster, an act of god looks like it could be used interchangably with an act of nature. So, he used it correctly.

I think people fear this man's religiousosity, so they'll take any mention of god or whatever and try to make it look as radical as possible.

:ols: true enough

But it is a odd thing to worry over Perry inserting creationism into schools since he believes in local control of education.

In fact if he reduces govt control,he by default removes religions influence in everyones lfe except from the populist vote.

it is not him ya need to fear,but rather your neighbors :evilg:

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that he really would keep all of that sort of stuff completely out of any federal control. How far are you comfortable with that going? Would you not want to have any federal standards for education? How "local" is "local control of education"? Would you really want each community or county to decide which facts are real facts and which facts are "fact-ish" because they disagree with them and then decide to teach kids in school whatever the adults there like to believe?

According to Webster, an act of god looks like it could be used interchangably with an act of nature. So, he used it correctly.

I think people fear this man's religiousosity, so they'll take any mention of god or whatever and try to make it look as radical as possible.

ummmm what act of nature? wasn't aware there was a hurricane or an earthquake

are we taking this act of nature on faith? Cause there's no reason to believe that there was any such occurence.

Then (as Stadium pointed out) he goes on to say speculation is irresponsible, when in fact his "act of God" comment is more speculative than anyone elses.

So he's either an idiot or a liar

Perry called speculation over the cause of the catastrophe “irresponsible.”

Huh?

I watched a news report yesterday with one of the young Kennedys, who was speculating about that ‘this hadn't been done and that hadn't been done,' and frankly, speculation to promote one's position is irresponsible,”

context helps, conformational bias does not

You lost me there.

In one breath he speculates that its an act of god, and in the other he says that one shouldn't speculate. Maybe I misunderstood, but it confused me.

Or maybe he *knows* its an act of God (and isn't speculating) because God speaks directly to him and told him so. Its very hard to know.

good to see he has a consistent faith based belief system in regards to everything, including health and safety codes

Actually, based on that definition, I'd say that his comment boiled down to "I don't know what caused it, but I'm absolutely certain that no person is responsible".

:)

Which, I guess, is the same as his position on climate change: "It can't possibly be anybody's fault".

I watched a news report yesterday with one of the young Kennedys, who was speculating about that ‘this hadn't been done and that hadn't been done,' and frankly, speculation to promote one's position is irresponsible,”

context helps, conformational bias does not

Prosperity...nature has a great deal to do with drilling,even more so at the outer limits of ultra deepwater wells.

and mother nature can be a real ***** if you are stupid and don't respect her ****y nature

Again only 3% of the people think Global warming is a hoax. The other 30% of us believe man's 1% contribution is not enough to end the world as we know it.

Please do not apply this to mean we believe in polution, starving of children at school or healthcare of 'just die'. Thank you and have a nice day.

Prosperity...nature has a great deal to do with drilling,even more so at the outer limits of ultra deepwater wells.

and mother nature can be a real ***** if you are stupid and don't respect her ****y nature

Between God and Nature, man isn't really responsible or accountable for much of anything is he?

nature has a great deal to do with everything ever, but that's not what an act of god requires

Simple question: what natural disturbance caused the well blowout?

a extremely high pressure from what I read....quite remarkable in fact if it was putting out the volume claimed through a partially closed BOP (volume still being debated last I heard)

failing to control the blowout and the subsequent rig fire would be man's fault....as well as the design ect

nature was most certainly not a bystander or irrelevant by any measure

---------- Post added August-18th-2011 at 05:45 PM ----------

SA...man is accountable for what he does(unless you are a liberal,then it's debatable)

He is also responsible for what he controls(unless you are a liberal,then it's debatable)

a extremely high pressure from what I read....quite remarkable in fact if it was putting out the volume claimed through a partially closed BOP (volume still being debated last I heard)

failing to control the blowout and the subsequent rig fire would be man's fault....as well as the design ect

nature was most certainly not a bystander or irrelevant by any measure

That's like blaming gravity for drunk driving your car in to a tree.

Edit: Ok, maybe not exactly like that, but something close.

ummmm what act of nature? wasn't aware there was a hurricane or an earthquake

are we taking this act of nature on faith? Cause there's no reason to believe that there was any such occurence.

Then (as Stadium pointed out) he goes on to say speculation is irresponsible, when in fact his "act of God" comment is more speculative than anyone elses.

So he's either an idiot or a liar

Look at the date on the article. It was during the immediate aftermath of the blowout when the cause was unknown, not recent.

[Edit: It's amazing how quickly you all jumped to a conclusion AGAIN. Makes one question who the idiots are.]

Look at the date on the article. It was during the immediate aftermath of the blowout when the cause was unknown, not recent.

[Edit: It's amazing how quickly you all jumped to a conclusion AGAIN. Makes one question who the idiots are.]

Hey being a partisan hack doesn't make you a idiot.......or does it?:paranoid::nutkick:

Archived