Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports:Renegade Miami football booster spells out illicit benefits to players

GibbsFactor

Holy cow. I just read it all.

That's way too detailed to not be true at least in part.

The U is going to get the death penalty IMO. It sure looks like Shalala et al knew what was going on. Maybe not in detail, but they knew Shapiro was paying kids.

Any school that chooses to remain in the ACC vs. the SEC would need to have their heads examined. The TV deals show a very visible Tier 1 (Pac 12, Big Ten, SEC) and Tier 2 (Big 12 (save Texas), ACC, Big East). I expect that gap to only widen.

The difference betweent the SEC media deal and the ACC media deal is $5M per school per year. That's not chump change.

That should only widen when the SEC expands and renegotiates their deal.

No one gives a **** about being "one" of the best basketball conferences in the nation.

Theoritical jumps from the ACC to the Big East are laughable. There's no money in it.

Theoritical jumps from the ACC to the SEC are not. There's millions in it.

I was talking mostly about the the idea of ACC-to-Big East jumping. I agree that theoretical jumps from the ACC to either the SEC or Big 10 would look attractive to an invitee, although there are relationships between certain ACC schools that would greatly complicate their ability to take advantage of such an invitation, were it offered.

I can't imagine anyone other than Maryland getting an ACC-to-Big 10 invite, since you have to bring MAJOR market dollars with you (i.e., extend "local" Big 10 territory to encompass the DC/Baltimore cable market) in order to avoid watering down the conference payout.

I could see FSU going to the SEC someday, maybe. But the SEC could have a lot of options if they decided to expand, and may or may not make FSU an anointed invitee.

The ironic thing about this whole Miami thing is that since Shapiro got involved the program has fallen on hard times. 2002 was the peak this past decade

What's truly ironic (and sad) is that if Miami gets draconian sanctions, that will be in the lead paragraph of Donna Shalala's obituary. And she has done amazing things with that school - nearly doubling its endowment, increasing its national rankings, growing its applicant pool tremendously, getting it into the ACC. But, her legacy could be that she let the final nail go in the football team's coffin.

It's not just the money, parties and other gifts that's allegedly involved that make this story unique..........again assuming all this is true, the routine use of prostitution and paid bounties on players of opposing teams will likely be the kicker that gets Miami the big penalties.

I agree completely with you.

Holy cow. I just read it all.

That's way too detailed to not be true at least in part.

The U is going to get the death penalty IMO. It sure looks like Shalala et al knew what was going on. Maybe not in detail, but they knew Shapiro was paying kids.

Do you really think they will receive that? I think NCAA doesn't want another SMU.

There is a variation of this at every school.

The problem with Miami is the fact that it is located in Miami which vastly increases the scale. You can only be so rich and glamorous in Blacksburg or Tuscaloosa or even Baton Rouge. In Miami' date=' the access to money, women, drugs, etc. is literally unlimited. If you go to the right club in Miami, you will meet Will Smith or Kim Kardashian or Lebron James or the biggest cocaine dealer in the country. That's just not going to happen in Charlottesville. The other thing about Miami (or even LA) is that you can hide this stuff in the city. A rich Jewish dude on a yacht with large black guys and hookers? Eh....happens all the time. Gainesville ain't big enough to hide much.

It is interesting that SMU lost complete control at a time when Dallas was arguably the most glamorous city in the country.[/quote']

I agree here. Hell we all remember the "30 for 30" on Miami in the 80s. Its one of the most unique sports cities in the world

I agree here. Hell we all remember the "30 for 30" on Miami in the 80s. Its one of the most unique sports cities in the world

I think it's the only city in the country where a college athlete can own the city. Leinart and Bush at USC were the closest things that school produced, but even in a city without an NFL team, Leinart could never be more than the 20th most famous person in the room. I mean, his celebrity "friend" was C-lister Nick Lachey, you know. No rich person in LA needs USC to raise their profile. They can simply create a boy band or buy floor seats for the Lakers.

From what I'm gathering from this story, Kellen Winslow Jr was apparently the God of Miami during his time there. It seems like Shapiro had all this money, but did not have the profile he wanted. And the Canes raised his profile.

---------- Post added August-17th-2011 at 09:53 AM ----------

Do you really think they will receive that? I think NCAA doesn't want another SMU.

I don't think the NCAA wants to give the death penalty again.

However - if any school could get it - it's Miami. They came as close as any school since SMU in the 90s. And basically, 10 years later, they were doing the exact **** that got them in trouble the first time. I have to assume that Miami is perpetually on double secret probation with the NCAA.

So, they may not get the death penalty, but the punishment almost has to be worse than the last one, which was a post-season ban and 31 scholarships.

I think it's the only city in the country where a college athlete can own the city. Leinart and Bush at USC were the closest things that school produced' date=' but even in a city without an NFL team, Leinart could never be more than the 20th most famous person in the room. I mean, his celebrity "friend" was C-lister Nick Lachey, you know. No rich person in LA needs USC to raise their profile. They can simply create a boy band or buy floor seats for the Lakers.

From what I'm gathering from this story, Kellen Winslow Jr was apparently the God of Miami during his time there. It seems like Shapiro had all this money, but did not have the profile he wanted. And the Canes raised his profile.

---------- Post added August-17th-2011 at 09:53 AM ----------

I don't think the NCAA wants to give the death penalty again.

However - if any school could get it - it's Miami. They came as close as any school since SMU in the 90s. And basically, 10 years later, they were doing the exact **** that got them in trouble the first time. I have to assume that Miami is perpetually on double secret probation with the NCAA.

So, they may not get the death penalty, but the punishment almost has to be worse than the last one, which was a post-season ban and 31 scholarships.

They might not have intermural Frisbee games.

You would be very wrong in that assumption.

The most profitable NCAA basketball team is Louisville. They made $16.8 MM in 2009-2010.

The most profitable NCAA football team is Texas. They made $68.8 MM in 2009-2010.

20 of the top 20 most profitable programs are football teams, and 38 of the top 50.

The most profitable ACC program was 26th (VT football) with $14.8 MM. 9 of the 12 SEC football programs are in the top 25.

The combined profit of ALL ACC basketball programs is $56.4 MM. 14 other confrences individual football programs bring in at least half that.

Even being a weak football conference, the total ACC football programs combine for $79.1 MM in profits

The combined football revenue for the SEC is $717.6 MM.

The University of Kentucky, who has averaged 2.3 conference wins the past decade, and has not finished better than 4th in the SEC East over that span, made $17.9 MM (3x their basketball program), which is more than the following combined ACC football and basketball programs profit: Wake, UVA, BC, FSU, Maryland, Duke, Miami, Clemson, or GT.

But yeah, being a basketball conference matters.

I think the NCAA is looking for a school to make an example.

If they prove this happened the way Shapiro says, then they HAVE to give the death penalty.

Miami's danger has always been that it's an extremely high profile program with absolutely zero political pull.

USC and Ohio State are royalty. The NCAA will protect those two schools. Miami has always been "new money" and is basically just a threat to the guys in the ugly blazers. No one in Indianapolis is going to have quit going to their country club if they lay the wood to Miami.

---------- Post added August-17th-2011 at 10:10 AM ----------

The most profitable NCAA basketball team is Louisville. They made $16.8 MM in 2009-2010.

The most profitable NCAA football team is Texas. They made $68.8 MM in 2009-2010.

20 of the top 20 most profitable programs are football teams, and 38 of the top 50.

The most profitable ACC program was 26th (VT football) with $14.8 MM. 9 of the 12 SEC football programs are in the top 25.

The combined profit of ALL ACC basketball programs is $56.4 MM. 14 football programs bring in at least half that.

Even being a weak football conference, the all ACC football programs combine for $79.1 MM in profits

The combined football revenue for the SEC is $717.6 MM.

The University of Kentucky, who has averaged 2.3 conference wins the past decade, and has not finished better than 4th in the SEC East over that span, made $17.9 MM (3x their basketball program), which is more than the following combined ACC football and basketball programs profit: Wake, UVA, BC, FSU, Maryland, Duke, Miami, Clemson, or GT.

But yeah, being a basketball conference matters.

What was Kansas' profits in football and basketball?

The issue for college basketball is that the money maker is the tourney and the tourney does not need ANY high profile schools. The ACC and Big East do make some money on their tv deals, but that money would be considered the per diem in regards to the SEC's football money.

Kansas basketball made $5.1 MM. Kansas football made $1.6 MM

KSU football made $6.4 MM.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/06/20/which-football-and-basketball-programs-produce-the-largest-profits/

Maryland plays in a new on-campus arena that equals many pro arenas, plays in the highest profile basketball conference in the country, and is situated between two large basketball-crazy metro areas....and it makes less than Purdue football.

Actually, it makes less than Northwestern basketball. What the **** is going on at Maryland?

The one on that chart that amazes me is Florida State. They bring in a ton of money, but spend a ton of money. The ACC is really badly run, isn't it?

Football schools should leave (Clem, VT, FSU) to go to a conference where football is a priority. The fact that Swofford actively avoids making the ACC as strong as possible in the biggest revenue sport is mind-boggling, and why that ACC is at best the 4th best conference in the nation.

This times infinity.

FSU and Clemson fans have been fed up with Swofford for a long time now.

His UNC background blinds him to appropriately managing the conference.

Miami means very little to the NCAA.

They bring in TV ratings but absolutely nothing else, and they've had a scandalous reputation for as long as they've existed.

They won't get the SMU style death penalty, but they'll get hammered, and hammered hard.

More importantly, as a small private school, even USC-like sanctions would probably be enough to absolutely demolish the program.

The one on that chart that amazes me is Florida State. They bring in a ton of money' date=' but spend a ton of money. The ACC is really badly run, isn't it?[/quote']

FSU uses its football revenue to fund 12 other athletic programs, then reports profit, so its numbers are skewed.

Miami means very little to the NCAA.

They bring in TV ratings but absolutely nothing else, and they've had a scandalous reputation for as long as they've existed.

They won't get the SMU style death penalty, but they'll get hammered, and hammered hard.

More importantly, as a small private school, even USC-like sanctions would probably be enough to absolutely demolish the program.

The only thing that could save Miami is Shalala. She is high profile enough that they may not want to completely wreck her reputation. I'm convinced that part of what saved Ohio State is all the freindships Gordon Gee built up over the years.

Archived