Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports:Renegade Miami football booster spells out illicit benefits to players

GibbsFactor

Spartacus, did I hear FSU was mentioned as possibly moving to the SEC, along with Texas A&M and Missouri?

Not sure how I feel about the other two, but FSU belongs in the SEC IMO

It seems like a natural fit, but SEC politics are like something out of Yorkist England. I don't think Florida wants FSU in the SEC. And I don't think there is any political pressure to make them - like there was in Virginia regarding Virginia Tech and like there is in Texas where UT is never going to be allowed to do anything that hurts A&M. A&M can leave the Big 12 for the SEC without Texas, but Texas was never going to be allowed to go to the Big 10 without A&M.

Maryland plays in a new on-campus arena that equals many pro arenas' date=' plays in the highest profile basketball conference in the country, and is situated between two large basketball-crazy metro areas....and it makes less than Purdue football.

Actually, it makes less than Northwestern basketball. What the **** is going on at Maryland?[/quote']

As I like to blame Debbie Yow for everything, including earthquakes, I'll just go ahead and blame her for this too. Who knows. :)

I tend not to believe any self-reported numbers coming out of NCAA sports programs. If the numbers look good, they probably aren't that good. And if they look bad, they're worse.

Exception: Audited results, which tend to drive my policy above.

FSU uses its football revenue to fund 12 other athletic programs, then reports profit, so its numbers are skewed.

This.

FSU is in a tough spot financially in the ACC, especially when competing with many top tier SEC programs in the region for athletes, resources, etc.

It goes beyond that though. Swofford doesn't do enough to protect football programs like VT, Clemson, or FSU in terms of scheduling, regulation, or even little things like correcting obvious game official issues (something FSU has continuously complained about with no response).

Quite simply, he doesn't give a crap about the "football schools" in the ACC.

The only thing that could save Miami is Shalala. She is high profile enough that they may not want to completely wreck her reputation. I'm convinced that part of what saved Ohio State is all the freindships Gordon Gee built up over the years.

This was my original thought.

Seems like she's too connected to all of this though.

Spartacus' date=' did I hear FSU was mentioned as possibly moving to the SEC, along with Texas A&M and Missouri?

Not sure how I feel about the other two, but FSU belongs in the SEC IMO[/quote']

It seems like a natural fit' date=' but SEC politics are like something out of Yorkist England. I don't think Florida wants FSU in the SEC. And I don't think there is any political pressure to make them - like there was in Virginia regarding Virginia Tech and like there is in Texas where UT is never going to be allowed to do anything that hurts A&M. A&M can leave the Big 12 for the SEC without Texas, but Texas was never going to be allowed to go to the Big 10 without A&M.[/quote']

FSU basically operates like an SEC school, but on an ACC budget.

Florida wants no part of FSU in the SEC, and I've heard that they would try to block FSU while trying to get other programs to do so as well (like say, partnering with USC to also keep out Clemson), but I've also heard that FSU would have possible allies in programs like UGA, Alabama, and LSU (who all would obviously like to stick it to UF if given the chance and already have very positive relationships with FSU).

A lot of messy politics in play there though. FSU's major problem is that as a holdover from the end of the Bobby Bowden era, FSU's new president is much more of an academic guy than an athletics guy, so he wouldn't offer very much potent leadership in any secession, and FSU currently has a puppet AD, put in place by FSU's last president to protect Bowden for as long as possible.

Honestly, I would say that the only guy at FSU, with any real credible mix of power within campus and insight on the two conferences, that would be required for such a jump would be Jimbo Fisher, but he's the head football coach, not an AD. That's asking way too much out of him.

I think the death penealty has a ridiculously small chance of ever being applied again. The NCAA was horrified of what happened to SMU in the aftermath. However, if it is ever applied it will be against a repeat offender who is not a member of the good ol' boys club. Which pretty much means Miami is the only school that will ever have that risk over its head. Alabama boosters could use cheerleaders for nude human sacrifices and they would lose 15 scholarships.

I'm not sure how tv bans would actually work in this modern environment. You would be punishing the entire ACC if one of their games every week was blacked out.

I'm pretty sure that if the allegations are true, the punishment will be similar to the last big one against Miami - loss of scholarships and no bowl games. That will be plenty crippling.

I think the death penealty has a ridiculously small chance of ever being applied again. The NCAA was horrified of what happened to SMU in the aftermath. However' date=' if it is ever applied it will be against a repeat offender who is not a member of the good ol' boys club. Which pretty much means Miami is the only school that will ever have that risk over its head. Alabama boosters could use cheerleaders for nude human sacrifices and they would lose 15 scholarships.

I'm not sure how tv bans would actually work in this modern environment. You would be punishing the entire ACC if one of their games every week was blacked out.

I'm pretty sure that if the allegations are true, the punishment will be similar to the last big one against Miami - loss of scholarships and no bowl games. That will be plenty crippling.[/quote']

This.

Miami isn't likely to receive a TV ban. The ACC and ESPN couldn't have that.

What's realistic however, is severe scholarship reduction, a ban on bowl games, and a ridiculously long probationary period.

The likely type of scholarship reduction that they'll receive will be enough to crush them.

What I'm not entirely sure of, is how much they pay to lease Sun Life Stadium on gamedays. They already had major issues with putting bodies in the stands there, producing teams filled with scrubs that are getting pounded by just about every other ACC team not named Duke certainly won't help with that (and for reference sake- Miami plays their annual Spring Game at a local high school stadium to help save money).

I heard that the Shapiro guy has proof that the Miami president accepted a $50,000 check. Not good

And Spartacus (or anyone): Do you think Golden had any inkling that this story was gonna break before he took the job? Surely he had to know who this Shapiro character was, and that there could be trouble down the road.

I heard that the Shapiro guy has proof that the Miami president accepted a $50,000 check. Not good

Yea, that proof is right here in the article

1313376801.jpg

Nevin Shapiro said this photo was taken during a basketball fundraiser in 2008, in which the booster donated $50,000 to the program. From left to right are men’s basketball coach Frank Haith, Shapiro and University of Miami president Donna Shalala. Shalala is holding Shapiro’s donation check, which the booster has said was entirely comprised of Ponzi funds.

what exactly is the death penalty?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=smu+death+penalty

The full list of penalties

The penalties handed down, in detail:

The 1987 season was canceled; only conditioning drills would be permitted during the 1987 calendar year.

All home games in 1988 were canceled. SMU was allowed to play their seven regularly scheduled away games so that other institutions would not be financially affected.

The team's existing probation was extended until 1990. Its existing ban from bowl games and live television was extended to 1989.

SMU lost 55 new scholarship positions over 4 years.

SMU was required to ensure that Owen and eight other boosters previously banned from contact with the program were in fact banned, or else face further punishment.

The team was allowed to hire only five full-time assistant coaches, instead of the typical nine.

No off-campus recruiting would be permitted until August 1988, and no paid visits could be made to campus by would-be recruits until the start of the 1988-89 school year.[13]

Thanks, ACW

So whats the deal with SMU nowadays? Are they really still suffering from that? Or do they just not care about football anymore? I still remember the quote from Eisenhower "an atheist is someone who watches a Notre Dame - SMU game and doesn't care who wins". not exactly relevant anymore

Archived