Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports:Renegade Miami football booster spells out illicit benefits to players

GibbsFactor

KEARNEY, N.J. – A University of Miami booster, incarcerated for his role in a $930 million Ponzi scheme, has told Yahoo! Sports he provided thousands of impermissible benefits to at least 72 athletes from 2002 through 2010.

In 100 hours of jailhouse interviews during Yahoo! Sports’ 11-month investigation, Hurricanes booster Nevin Shapiro described a sustained, eight-year run of rampant NCAA rule-breaking, some of it with the knowledge or direct participation of at least seven coaches from the Miami football and basketball programs. At a cost that Shapiro estimates in the millions of dollars, he said his benefits to athletes included but were not limited to cash, prostitutes, entertainment in his multimillion-dollar homes and yacht, paid trips to high-end restaurants and nightclubs, jewelry, bounties for on-field play (including bounties for injuring opposing players), travel and, on one occasion, an abortion.

Click here for entire article...

Miami booster Nevin Shapiro alleges he provided multiple extra benefits to Rocky McIntosh during his career with the Hurricanes. Among the benefits he claims to have provided:

ROCKY MCINTOSH

Position: Linebacker

Rivals recruiting rank: Unranked. McIntosh was a SuperPrep All-American in the Class of 2001.

Miami career: An immediate solid contributor as a freshman, McIntosh developed into one of the best linebackers in college football by his senior season. He was selected by the Washington Redskins in the second round of the 2006 NFL draft. He is currently a starter for the Redskins.

• Drinks and VIP access in nightclubs on multiple occasions.

• Entertainment on Shapiro’s $1.6 million yacht on multiple occasions.

• $500 in bounties. The bounty payment was for a pair of sacks and a fumble recovery by McIntosh in a 27-7 win over Virginia Tech on Nov. 5, 2005.

In Shapiro’s words

• “Rocky McIntosh was a kid that I got along real good with. He was always present when we were in the nightclubs. I remember one moment specifically, we were at club Mansion and D.J. Irie was passing the mic around to me, and I was introducing all the ballplayers. I remember announcing Roger McIntosh from South Carolina.”

• “He’s been on the boat and we were in the clubs together a number of times.”

Rocky McIntosh's page

Sean Taylor also named.

Today marks the end of the "U".

Can't stop laughing at this. Poor Miami :ols:

That program is going to get harshly penalized. It's a real shame too, because there's the whole VT-Miami rivalry thing, which is going to take a hit because Miami won't be the same for years.

I guess GT is our biggest rival now. Lol.

Fantastic. Great. Awesome.

Go to Yahoo Sports main page. They are basically creating an entire site to this. Lots of info available. Sean Taylor got similar benefits as Rocky plus $3000 for hits on Rix when they played FSU and $26000 dog tags.

He ran a food export business that eventually turned into a ponzi scheme.

Go to Yahoo Sports main page. They are basically creating an entire site to this. Lots of info available. Sean Taylor got similar benefits as Rocky plus $3000 for hits on Rix when they played FSU and $26000 dog tags.

He ran a food export business that eventually turned into a ponzi scheme.

I'd rather not read it.

I'm in pain right now.

Ugh.

plus $3000 for hits on Rix when they played FSU .

why would you want to knock Rix OUT of a game!

---------- Post added August-16th-2011 at 08:30 PM ----------

Cool. It's probably more appropriate here.

No worries, I just don't want to have to repost all my comments!

why would you want to knock Rix OUT of a game!

---------- Post added August-16th-2011 at 08:30 PM ----------

No worries, I just don't want to have to repost all my comments!

Understood, thought this was a perfect tailgate thread, it's got a bit of everything. It's the epitome of our current national situation.

Well, Miami wasn't really doing **** the last 3 or 4 years before the scandal broke. They were already a reeling program that was a has-been. They weren't on the level of USC or Ohio State, they were simply a mediocre team lugging along in the ACC.

It's no big loss if they get decimated. They're a has-been.

One point I will repeat, all ACC fans should be worried about this.

Say worst case scenario, Miami gets the death penalty. If the ACC falls to 11 teams, by bye conference championship game.

If the ACC loses the CCG, then the TV contract will be at least heavily renogiated, if not voided (unlikely).

If the ACC loses what is already a relatively weak TV contract, FSU and VT (or Clemson or GT) might have a hard time resisting the SECs overtures.

And if the ACC loses one or two of them, along with the decade + Miami will be down the tubes - well that's a doomsday scenario.

But, Tris, even as a Canes fan... if the ACC collapses, that helps create super conferences... Does that help us get a playoff? (Not that I want my favorite ****ing team to be the reason for it, but if there's a silver lining, that would be it)

Eventually there will just be East Vs West, like NBA and NHL. "SEC" vs "PAC"

Lol

Seriously, that's the state we are reaching in collegiate athletics

---------- Post added August-16th-2011 at 08:56 PM ----------

And I mean, I'm not complaining, but only if they have some playoff to determine "SEC" and "PAC" champion. Merge all the teams into East and West.

But, Tris, even as a Canes fan... if the ACC collapses, that helps create super conferences... Does that help us get a playoff? (Not that I want my favorite ****ing team to be the reason for it, but if there's a silver lining, that would be it)

I don't want the ACC to be in the ****tiest super conference.

Which is what the ACC-Big East will be if they loose VT, FSU, Clem, etc and get the left overs of the Big East once the Big 10 picks it apart.

When compared to the PAC 16 (half the Big 12), Sec (other half of B12, good ACC football teams), Big 10 (good Big East)...

Was following VTVoice Bill Roth on Twitter and he said ACC is best for VT financially and athletically and some other stuff. Guys, it's not like Miami was phenomenal the last few years. They were average. Comically average. In fact, VT beat them at least the last 2 times, including a comical drubbing in which they made Jacoby Harris look like a total n00b.

ACC Football is Virginia Tech and FSU. That's it. That's the list. It has been like that basically for the last decade, with a few "flashes in the pan" (BC / GT / Wake Forest).

Again, Miami getting any sort of harsh punishment or death penalty doesn't hurt the ACC, because they never really did anything in the ACC the last two years. LOL.

Just vanquish them off the face of the earth.

----------

The last time Miami fielded a truly threatening team was in 2002

Since then Miami was largely known for

- getting blown out by VT repeatedly

- stomping on FIU players' helmets

- repeatedly putting up mediocre records and generally becoming a laughingstock of past glory

- dancing on Louisville's midfield logo, after which they proceeded to get blown out in comical fashion

THE U!

Well, Miami wasn't really doing **** the last 3 or 4 years before the scandal broke. They were already a reeling program that was a has-been. They weren't on the level of USC or Ohio State, they were simply a mediocre team lugging along in the ACC.

It's no big loss if they get decimated. They're a has-been.

Look at the teams you just compared them to--two other dirty programs. And I wouldn't call them a has-been. They still produce some of the best players in the NFL.

Look at the teams you just compared them to--two other dirty programs.

Well they weren't really elite...

Remember Larry Coker's final year, or the Randy Shannon years? In fact, Miami never went to a BCS bowl game or ACC championship after joining the ACC. Lol.

Can't stop laughing at this. Poor Miami :ols:

That program is going to get harshly penalized. It's a real shame too, because there's the whole VT-Miami rivalry thing, which is going to take a hit because Miami won't be the same for years.

I guess GT is our biggest rival now. Lol.

I would think unc would be a bigger rival

Archived