Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports:Renegade Miami football booster spells out illicit benefits to players

GibbsFactor

This would be a great time for a nascent football program to rise to power in the ACC.

Too bad we don't have any candidates.

But LOL at the folks licking their chops at the prospect of the ACC coming apart over this. Some of the theoretical program jumps -- say, out of the ACC and into the Big East -- are laughable.

This would be a great time for a nascent football program to rise to power in the ACC.

Too bad we don't have any candidates.

But LOL at the folks licking their chops at the prospect of the ACC coming apart over this. Some of the theoretical program jumps -- say, out of the ACC and into the Big East -- are laughable.

Miami has been irrelevant since 2002. Their loss means nothing to the conference.

Theoritical jumps from the ACC to the Big East are laughable. There's no money in it.

Theoritical jumps from the ACC to the SEC are not. There's millions in it.

I finally read through the entire thing.

Good grief this is mind blowing stuff. And honestly, what a loser Shapiro is, essentially "buying" friends with the cool kids

You have to suck the money out of college sports somehow because this will happen at every single school. The money is just too big with ESPN, the Texas Network, NBC, the BCS.

A billion dollar industry where the labor pool gets 0 cut of the revenue. Of course this will occur. Thinking about it, I am just stunned this went on for so long but also stunned this hasn't come out at some other school

ACC is a basketball conference. Has been for many, many years.

They added on VT, BC, and U of M to try to get some football recognition.

Problem for those 3 is that they have never had great basketball programs.

For those schools to try and leave at this point would probably be worse.

Good grief this is mind blowing stuff. And honestly, what a loser Shapiro is, essentially "buying" friends with the cool kids

You have to suck the money out of college sports somehow because this will happen at every single school. The money is just too big

As many jokes and roasts I've made at the expense of the University of Miami football and basketball program, it's clear that college sports has become corrupted by money. This is the year of the violation. UNC, Oregon, Miami, Ohio State, Georgia Tech, and so on. Something has to be done about this.

I really hope VT gets caught. Bad. You're not very classy, ix. Just sayin'.

Yes, Miami cheated. It's horrendous they did something illegal/against the rules. Agreed.

But there are fans of the team who did nothing of the sort who are being punished for it, and you're essentially laughing in our faces. Hopefully the old saying holds true, what goes around, comes around.

Sorry, SHF, but he's annoying on this issue.

For those schools to try and leave at this point would probably be worse.

Football schools should leave (Clem, VT, FSU) to go to a conference where football is a priority. The fact that Swofford actively avoids making the ACC as strong as possible in the biggest revenue sport is mind-boggling, and why that ACC is at best the 4th best conference in the nation.

Yes, Miami cheated. It's horrendous they did something illegal/against the rules. Agreed.

But there are fans of the team who did nothing of the sort who are being punished for it, and you're essentially laughing in our faces. Hopefully the old saying holds true, what goes around, comes around.

Was it the LSUFreek gif :|

He roasts everyone

God no. I think this is terrible for the ACC that 3 programs this past year have been caught in the NCAA's cross hairs.

We'll see how this all shakes out

WVU fans are convinced that the school is going to end up in either the SEC or ACC when things shake out. I've never thought that was possible, because I just don't see what WVU brings to either league in terms of TV, demographics, or academic prestige. But now...with the ACC spinning out of control...who knows? WVU and and Pitt might seem like the only way to save a sinking ship in a year.

Anyway, if anyone wanted proof that college football is the devil...here it is. Basketball programs can have scandals, but those programs are ultimately too small to do university-wide damage except in the rarest of instances (like what happened at Maryland in the 80s). Football touches so many people that "small" scandals can suddenly engulf 30 or 40 people.

As many jokes and roasts I've made at the expense of the University of Miami football and basketball program, it's clear that college sports has become corrupted by money. This is the year of the violation. UNC, Oregon, Miami, Ohio State, Georgia Tech, and so on. Something has to be done about this.

What do you mean "has become." This is nothing new, just in today's media world it can be blown up faster and bigger. The NCAA is an outdated, corrupt organization that is one step below FIFA in corruption.

WVU fans are convinced that the school is going to end up in either the SEC or ACC when things shake out. I've never thought that was possible' date=' because I just don't see what WVU brings to either league in terms of TV, demographics, or academic prestige. But now...with the ACC spinning out of control...who knows? WVU and and Pitt might seem like the only way to save a sinking ship in a year.

Anyway, if anyone wanted proof that college football is the devil...here it is. Basketball programs can have scandals, but those programs are ultimately too small to do university-wide damage except in the rarest of instances (like what happened at Maryland in the 80s). Football touches so many people that "small" scandals can suddenly engulf 30 or 40 people.[/quote']

In this case you are talking a decade wide scandal.

I honestly don't know how you deal with the money in college football, its just so much. The impact that Michael Vick had on the little town of Blacksburg is unquantifiable. The place probably has 4 times the buildings, a new highway, and significantly higher caliber of applicants since the 1999 national title game run. Along with that a move to the ACC, which VT had been trying for 50 years to get into. But he didn't see a dime of it.

I keep saying that if the VT BOV has any inkling that FSU might bolt to the SEC, and has the opportunity to go to the SEC, it better make the decision to jump ship. John Swofford has been incredibly useless as commish, even more usless then Mike Trangheese of the Big East

The ironic thing about this whole Miami thing is that since Shapiro got involved the program has fallen on hard times. 2002 was the peak this past decade

College football is the debil and there's corruption all over and sketchy boosters.

Don't let this delude you into thinking college football is unwatchable, though. We all love this game, despite it's blatant monetary influence and shady behavior. We'll still be watching our teams every Saturday, because of the ties to ol' Alma Mater, or the team we watched growing up. And no scandal can tear that down.

Also, South Park had a witty episode regarding the NCAA and money. Would recommend

Why is he annoying ? Because he is putting it out there ? Because you are embarrassed ? He is giving a little smack talk. Not over the top, but sort of "just so you know". I can't fault him for that. EDIT: Now him not having cable is a different thing. :silly:

Football schools should leave (Clem, VT, FSU) to go to a conference where football is a priority. The fact that Swofford actively avoids making the ACC as strong as possible in the biggest revenue sport is mind-boggling, and why that ACC is at best the 4th best conference in the nation.

ACC is 4th best at football perhaps. Certainly not in basketball.

VT will never join the SEC, never.

Clemson the same.

Perhaps FSU, but so what, they are and have been mediocre for at least a decade.

Why is he annoying ? Because he is putting it out there ? Because you are embarrassed ? He is giving a little smack talk. Not over the top, but sort of "just so you know". I can't fault him for that.

Just roasting. Spartacus basically said the same thing that Miami was irrelevant over the last couple of years too. It's the truth. You can look at the team record, it screams mediocrity and irrelevance.

Clemson the same.

Perhaps FSU, but so what, they are and have been mediocre for at least a decade.

Again, I don't see any ACC teams being poached away, football is king, but I'd think those guys would want to stay and chill in one of the best basketball conferences in America

Why is he annoying ? Because he is putting it out there ? Because you are embarrassed ? He is giving a little smack talk. Not over the top, but sort of "just so you know". I can't fault him for that. EDIT: Now him not having cable is a different thing. :silly:

Clemson the same.

Many agree that FSU is THE Florida school for this decade just like the 90s. Recruiting better then anyone. Penn State, take note.

Also note, FSU hasn't been in the ACC that long.

Moreso because he's acting like a three year old.

Spartacus said it, and it is true. But he did it like an adult. It's annoying seeing all the GIFs/stupid jokes. Big time.

Just roasting. Spartacus basically said the same thing that Miami was irrelevant over the last couple of years too. It's the truth. You can look at the team record, it screams mediocrity and irrelevance.

Again, I don't see any ACC teams being poached away, football is king, but I'd think those guys would want to stay and chill in one of the best basketball conferences in America

Any school that chooses to remain in the ACC vs. the SEC would need to have their heads examined. The TV deals show a very visible Tier 1 (Pac 12, Big Ten, SEC) and Tier 2 (Big 12 (save Texas), ACC, Big East). I expect that gap to only widen.

Spartacus said it, and it is true. But he did it like an adult. It's annoying seeing all the GIFs/stupid jokes. Big time.

I'll have you know LSUFreek is one of the best gif artists out there

Nothing wrong with posting his pics, he's hilarious

I think UF would have a good debate with that take on the Florida schools.

Gators have done it over the past decade. In two of the major sports. I wonder what they did in baseball.

---------- Post added August-17th-2011 at 10:25 AM ----------

Sooooo...You got your panties in a bunch ?

He is trash talking and your team screwed up.

Your favorite team screwed the pooch and finally got caught.

You have to suck the money out of college sports somehow because this will happen at every single school. The money is just too big with ESPN, the Texas Network, NBC, the BCS.

A billion dollar industry where the labor pool gets 0 cut of the revenue. Of course this will occur. Thinking about it, I am just stunned this went on for so long but also stunned this hasn't come out at some other school

There is a variation of this at every school.

The problem with Miami is the fact that it is located in Miami which vastly increases the scale. You can only be so rich and glamorous in Blacksburg or Tuscaloosa or even Baton Rouge. In Miami, the access to money, women, drugs, etc. is literally unlimited. If you go to the right club in Miami, you will meet Will Smith or Kim Kardashian or Lebron James or the biggest cocaine dealer in the country. That's just not going to happen in Charlottesville. The other thing about Miami (or even LA) is that you can hide this stuff in the city. A rich Jewish dude on a yacht with large black guys and hookers? Eh....happens all the time. Gainesville ain't big enough to hide much.

It is interesting that SMU lost complete control at a time when Dallas was arguably the most glamorous city in the country.

Sooooo...You got your panties in a bunch ?

He is trash talking and your team screwed up.

Your favorite team screwed the pooch and finally got caught.

Uhhh. Yup. Was there doubt I'm pissed about it? Pissed at them, more than anything.

Archived