Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Redskins' Landry targets Aug. 25 return

flexxskins

Monday, August 15, 2011, 12:37 p.m.

By Ryan O’Halloran

Redskins Insider

CSNwashington.com

http://www.csnwashington.com/08/15/11/Redskins-Landry-targets-Aug-25-return/landing.html?blockID=549118&feedID=9656

Although he remains on the physically unable to perform list and has not practiced at all during training camp, Redskins safety LaRon Landry said he will “most definitely” play in the team’s third preseason game Aug. 25 at Baltimore.

“I feel like I need to get out there and start practicing and try to play the following game,” he said Monday morning. “I want to play [the Ravens] game because I won’t know how the Achilles’ will react unless I get in live situations.”

Landry expects to be off the PUP list later this week in time to practice – once he works out, he is no longer eligible to be on the list.

Landry missed the second half of last year with the injury and had an off-season procedure to repair the tendon. He expected to start camp on the PUP list.

“When I came in, they wanted to evaluate me and see how it would react,” he said. “And I felt the same way – it needed to get stronger. All the work we’re doing, it’s getting stronger.”

Said coach Mike Shanahan: “You can see he’s getting in better shape. [The staff] is doing a great job working him out doing football-related activities. I think he feels a lot more comfortable with his body. We’d like to get him ready against Baltimore and possibly the last game against Tampa Bay.”

Click link above for the rest of article

I'm glad to see this. I have been really worried about this. I thought I read somewhere (sorry i don't recall where) that he was discussing having off-season surgery AFTER THIS SEASON. Which just made no sense to me. If with an achilles injury you think surgery is necessary, you get it in december of last year not after this season. If the achilles isn't 100% I really doubt he could get through this entire season which would really be disastrous. Of all the story lines this season, his achilles is HUGE. He is one of the guys I would lobby for re-signing before he has a chance to test the market (and on this team those guys are few and far between in my mind). BUT, if he doesn't make it through this season with the achilles a few things will become apparent to me:

1) Shanny and the medical staff completely botched this situation. Having him recovering from achilles surgery after THIS season is a disaster.

2) Landry's career will likely be a disappointment.

Here is to really hoping that he is 100% better from the achilles. I wasn't thrilled to see him on the PUP at all. I was under the impression it was resolved a long time ago. If he was recovering from the surgery I'd be ok with it. The goal would be to get him back in late this year or maybe even next year. But by all indications we will be putting the roof on this rebuild project next year and the year after. Those aren't the years you want this kid recovering from off-season achilles surgery. Its certainly not the time you want to be making long term contract plans for him. Overall, I am taking a wait and see approach because this story could be horrible.

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 06:00 PM ----------

Omg so wait a minute. His career is not over? Well dont tell that to the crew in the "Worried about Landry" tread. You will be called an idiot for being an intelligent individual.

I wouldn't say his career is over and I haven't been in this thread you speak of but I can't blame anyone for being concerned about our best player being on the PUP list after being done for the season in November of LAST year and no surgery having been done that I am aware of. Especially with an achilles. See Kemoatu. Landry doesn't play a position or a style where a ruptured achilles is no biggie. I think concern is completely warranted. Hopefully, they are just being really really careful with him but I will be really bothered if at any point in the season I see games missed over his sore achilles. That would NOT be a good sign at all. Achilles are no joke injuries.

I wouldn't say his career is over and I haven't been in this thread you speak of but I can't blame anyone for being concerned about our best player being on the PUP list after being done for the season in November of LAST year and no surgery having been done that I am aware of. Especially with an achilles. See Kemoatu. Landry doesn't play a position or a style where a ruptured achilles is no biggie. I think concern is completely warranted. Hopefully, they are just being really really careful with him but I will be really bothered if at any point in the season I see games missed over his sore achilles. That would NOT be a good sign at all. Achilles are no joke injuries.

The whole thread was a major freakout. I said that it was simply nothing to be this worked up with yet. It wasnt even first preseason game yet and people were making comments along the lines of "twice in four years we lost our franchise defensive player for their career" and "I had to watch this team lose ST now I have to watch them lose LL as well". I was told I "didnt have a brain" to not be freaking out.

C'mon Mick....You're saying that if Brandon Jacobs gets thrown a screen pass and Landry bodies him, you're not gonna smile a LITTLE bigger than a usual big hit.

As long as Landry tackling him doesn't mean that Jacobs is further downfield by the time he gets hit.

Omg so wait a minute. His career is not over? Well dont tell that to the crew in the "Worried about Landry" tread. You will be called an idiot for being an intelligent individual.

Nobody called you an idiot. You almost had a heart attack over an internet post with people who were worried about Landry and this season. Did you see what happened to our Safeties without OJ and Landry in the preseason? However, according to you an Achilles injury is the same as a black and blue mark. On behalf of us "worried about landry people" we apologize for being worried about the face of our defense.

Wow, I need to stay up on Redskin players current events.

I thought that Landry A.K.A. "Sugar Low":ols: had surgery on his achilles. Instead he opted to have platelet enriched treatments.I was wondering if anyone here has had that proceedure done? I am just curious as to why one would rather that treatment than have the operation.

As long as Landry tackling him doesn't mean that Jacobs is further downfield by the time he gets hit.

I'd rather see him sniff that screen out and pick it off to the house, but a hit would be good.

Wow, I need to stay up on Redskin players current events.

I thought that Landry A.K.A. "Sugar Low":ols: had surgery on his achilles. Instead he opted to have platelet enriched treatments.I was wondering if anyone here has had that proceedure done? I am just curious as to why one would rather that treatment than have the operation.

I'm no doctor, but I think the recovery time for surgery would be longer.

Nobody called you an idiot. You almost had a heart attack over an internet post with people who were worried about Landry and this season. Did you see what happened to our Safeties without OJ and Landry in the preseason? However, according to you an Achilles injury is the same as a black and blue mark. On behalf of us "worried about landry people" we apologize for being worried about the face of our defense.

No I almost had a heart attack from the people who multiple people who swore his career was over. Comparing this to STs death. Second apparently he likes lying for the sake of it cuz he himself said he was playing week one, he himself said that it was about building up strength on the achillies not that he couldnt/wouldn't be able to play and that Shanahan himself said MULTIPLE times it was all precautionary. Landry said IF it would bother him like it did last season or IF it would get worse then last season again he MIGHT need surgery. So my apologies for not comparing holding him out of meaningless games or letting him be 110% healed to the death of ST or freaking out like the rest of you guys.

I'm glad to see this. I have been really worried about this. I thought I read somewhere (sorry i don't recall where) that he was discussing having off-season surgery AFTER THIS SEASON. Which just made no sense to me. If with an achilles injury you think surgery is necessary, you get it in december of last year not after this season. If the achilles isn't 100% I really doubt he could get through this entire season which would really be disastrous. Of all the story lines this season, his achilles is HUGE. He is one of the guys I would lobby for re-signing before he has a chance to test the market (and on this team those guys are few and far between in my mind). BUT, if he doesn't make it through this season with the achilles a few things will become apparent to me:

1) Shanny and the medical staff completely botched this situation. Having him recovering from achilles surgery after THIS season is a disaster.

2) Landry's career will likely be a disappointment.

Here is to really hoping that he is 100% better from the achilles. I wasn't thrilled to see him on the PUP at all. I was under the impression it was resolved a long time ago. If he was recovering from the surgery I'd be ok with it. The goal would be to get him back in late this year or maybe even next year. But by all indications we will be putting the roof on this rebuild project next year and the year after. Those aren't the years you want this kid recovering from off-season achilles surgery. Its certainly not the time you want to be making long term contract plans for him. Overall, I am taking a wait and see approach because this story could be horrible.

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 06:00 PM ----------

He did have a procedure last season to repair the tendon. He's bring held out while the training staff help his tendon rehad and get stronger. Takes time and they're not rushing it.

Glad to see he should be recovered. Not sure how effective he'll be this season, but he might be fresh.

Archived