Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(Blog)NYTimes.Com:The Fifth Down~2011 Washington Redskins Season Preview

Chump Bailey

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/10/2011-washington-redskins-season-preview/

2011 Washington Redskins Season Preview

By ANDY BENOITAndy Benoit is previewing all 32 N.F.L. teams. This week, he has looked at the N.F.C. East, with the Eagles to come on Thursday.

For years, onlookers have been telling Dan Snyder and the Washington Redskins that when you rely primarily on free agency, you’re building a house of straw. Sure enough, the windstorm hit in 2010. Mike Shanahan’s first season as Washington’s coach brought about a 6-10 record and numerous embarrassments with the team’s top-billed acquisition on each side of the ball.

Donovan McNabb, acquired for a second- and fourth-round draft choice in a trade from the Eagles, was benched twice during what turned out to be his one and only season in Washington. He finished with a 5-8 record and one more interception than touchdown, prompting Shanahan and General Manager Bruce Allen to ship him to Minnesota for a sixth-round pick in 2012 and a conditional sixth-rounder in 2013.

On defense, Albert Haynesworth moped for two seasons, humiliating the club (and, if he had any pride, himself) in every way imaginable. In August, he was dealt to New England for a 2013 fifth-round pick. In all, Haynesworth cost the franchise its dignity…and more than $30 million.

This past April, the Redskins seemed intent on changing their modus operandi. They held onto all of their draft picks for a change, even making a wave of trade-downs that left them with 12 selections in all. They were fairly conservative in their expenditures, too, rolling out big bucks (but not mega bucks) for ex-Rams safety O.J. Atogwe ($9.4 million guaranteed), former Giants defensive tackle Barry Cofield ($12.5 million guaranteed) and ex-Cowboys defensive end Stephen Bowen ($12.5 million guaranteed).

Please click link at top to continue reading full entry...

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 06:56 AM ----------

That duty will be given to last year’s third-stringer, John Beck. Shanahan insisting that Beck can put down his clipboard after three years and suddenly be a quality starting quarterback seems not unlike an angry father choking down a burnt piece of meat just to prove to his picky kids that a little charcoal never hurt anyone. It borders on hubris, thinking your system is so majestic that an untested player with average tools can run it as long as he’s willing to learn the terminology and do as he’s told.

I think it's a fair article. Thanks for the read, Chump.

I think Benoit's facts are a little off in areas (namely on the defensive side), but overall it's a realistic and well written article. And I agree, just because our record may be 6-10 again, doesn't mean that we are the same or worse than we were last season.

If nothing else, we are seeing more serious writeups these days. I'd have to say that was a pretty decent point-by-point assessment of where we're at, there are an awful lot of questions that only playing the games can answer. Doesn't mean they'll all be "Yes!", but they won't all be "awwww ****!" either. I expect some pleasant surprises this season. We won't win the division but we may get to decide who does.

For all that this article is good, he missed on the OL,,,

The men doing the zone blocking should be better in 2011. Versatile ex-Raven Chris Chester is an upgrade over departed center Casey Rabach. If third-year journeyman Kory Lichtensteiger continues to become a more fluid run-blocker, people may soon hear his name and think “quality left guard” instead of “a village in Northern Germany?” Right guard Will Montgomery is a limited player, which is why utility backup Artis Hicks could sneak into that spot again. (Montgomery, by the way, may also flip-flop positions with Chester).

and I disagree about the Wideouts, which IMO are vastly improved over the last several years....

Whoever’s throwing won’t have great options. Even with the re-signing of wideout Santana Moss, there’s a dire lack of firepower in Washington’s aerial attack. Moss caught 93 balls in ’10, but watching the film, you never got the sense that this passing game flowed through him. He’s a hit-or-miss star who often produces in chunks. As a No. 2 receiver, that’s fine. But as the No. 1 working opposite an undrafted 28-year-old like Anthony Armstrong?

A majority of Armstrong’s 2010 production was simply a function of play design and circumstance. He’s not an explosive enough athlete or dynamic enough route runner to create his own opportunities, though to his credit, he capitalizes on his chances. But should Donte’ Stallworth regain his burst or third-round rookie Leonard Hankerson prove a viable possession target right away, Armstrong could lose his starting job. If that happens, he’ll slip out of the rotation; the Redskins will almost surely feature soft-handed Jabar Gaffney in the slot.

But this is clearly a cut above as far as past reports have been.

They signed or traded for six veterans who will be expected to have a meaningful role offensively: running back Tim Hightower, receivers Donte’ Stallworth and Jabar Gaffney, offensive tackle Sean Locklear, guard/center Chris Chester and backup quarterback Kellen Clemens....

These aren’t bad players. In most cases, they’re clearly upgrades over last year’s personnel. But none are the type of headline acquisition that Redskins fans – who have grown accustomed to winning off-season Super Bowls – can get excited about. Oh, and none of the pickups play quarterback.

What the....lol :ols:

What the....lol :ols:

I suppose it's possible Clemens assumes the role . I've always liked him and he just may be the best QB on our roster.

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 07:29 AM ----------

I think it's a fair article. Thanks for the read, Chump.

I think Benoit's facts are a little off in areas (namely on the defensive side), but overall it's a realistic and well written article. And I agree, just because our record may be 6-10 again, doesn't mean that we are the same or worse than we were last season.

You're quite welcome.

For all that this article is good, he missed on the OL,,,

I think so too. I think Monty will nail down the C spot for us for the foreseeable future. Our depth is not ideal, but whose team is? You're not going to have bonafide starting type reserves occupying each position on the OL and I seriously doubt any team does. Hurt seems like he is playing better than projected. Locklear was a solid signing I think. Harris may be our backup LT.

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 07:34 AM ----------

He wasn't talking about assuming the role of starting QB...he said NONE of the new pick-ups even played quarterback lol.

Oh, right...

Don't you ever sleep dude? :)

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 07:37 AM ----------

If nothing else, we are seeing more serious writeups these days. I'd have to say that was a pretty decent point-by-point assessment of where we're at, there are an awful lot of questions that only playing the games can answer. Doesn't mean they'll all be "Yes!", but they won't all be "awwww ****!" either. I expect some pleasant surprises this season. We won't win the division but we may get to decide who does.

Absolutely agree with you

I thought Montgomery was playing C and Chester was playing RG?

As of now that's what's happening, he mentioned that there may be some moving pieces in there later in the article. It's not bad for a guy who's obviously not a fan of the team, I think he was more going with what would make the best line for THIS season as opposed to grooming a line for two to three years from now.

Bottom Line

The Redskins might actually be better than a year ago. That doesn’t mean they’ll have a better record. A decent defense that’s without playmaking flair is not enough to overcome an offense that lacks firepower through the air.

I think this is an accurate assesment right here. This team is better and will be better in the future.

I don't think it translates to improvement in the W/L record though.

One thing that I am starting to get annoyed by is the media seriously thinking Beck is anything more then a 1 year bridge player for our QB of the future who will get drafted in 2012. There was a reason why Shanahan isn't addressing the QB situation in 2011. The 2012 class is loaded and he has his sights set on that.

The sooner media, and some Redskins fans, can accept that, the better the quality of articles

I think this is an accurate assesment right here. This team is better and will be better in the future.

I don't think it translates to improvement in the W/L record though.

One thing that I am starting to get annoyed by is the media seriously thinking Beck is anything more then a 1 year bridge player for our QB of the future who will get drafted in 2012. There was a reason why Shanahan isn't addressing the QB situation in 2011. The 2012 class is loaded and he has his sights set on that.

The sooner media, and some Redskins fans, can accept that, the better the quality of articles

I share your opinion in that we are basically renting out the QB position until next season. After Luck and Landry though it appears to be a steep drop off. I still wish we could have pulled some magic and landed Bradford.

...or assuming that Beck is going to start at all. Not that Grossman will inspire confidence in the punditry, but this assumption that it's Beck's job is mind-boggling. Grossman, with his starts last year and superior knowledge of the system, has to be the favorite to win the job (by a large margin) until preseason play suggests otherwise.

In all honesty, that was pretty fair assessment of the team.

Does not seem mean-spirited or a rehashing of mistakes that happened in prior seasons.

Don't disagree wtih that at all. I just think he missed some of the details on OL and really missed on WR. Over the last few years the Redskins only had Moss for opposing teams to really worry about getting behind them. Gaffney and Stallworth are easily the best two other WR's the team has fielded in years.

...or assuming that Beck is going to start at all. Not that Grossman will inspire confidence in the punditry, but this assumption that it's Beck's job is mind-boggling. Grossman, with his starts last year and superior knowledge of the system, has to be the favorite to win the job (by a large margin) until preseason play suggests otherwise.

I agree with this. I would be very surprised if Rex Grossman does not start for us on 9/11. Beck did a lot for the team in the off-season, but I would be surprised if he ends up out-playing Rex in the pre-season. With that said, I want whoever gives us the best chance to win to be the guy. If it does end up being Beck. Great. I just don't think it will.

---------- Post added August-10th-2011 at 08:07 AM ----------

Don't disagree wtih that at all. I just think he missed some of the details on OL and really missed on WR. Over the last few years the Redskins only had Moss for opposing teams to really worry about getting behind them. Gaffney and Stallworth are easily the best two other WR's the team has fielded in years.

I agree with you. I just think it was a fair and balanced opinion of the team. I do think our wide-receivers are vastly improved over last year. I think the addition of Gaffney and Stalworth, and the eventual emergence of Hankerson during the season (In addition to Moss, Armstrong, Cooley, and Davis) is really going to jump-start our passing options.

This team really does have the potential to be far better than anyone expects. What will make or break the season is how quickly all these new parts start to gel. The talent is vastly improved from 2010.

Given our track record and performance this article is fair. The NFL is a funny thing though, there is not that much separation between the haves and the have-nots, and a couple of breaks the skins way could produce an interesting season.

I am looking forward to watching the youth movement get after it. I think this team will play hard.

D will be better - almost nowhere to go but up, and they have made some nice moves in offseason.

O will be better - I have the feeling Rex will play pretty well, the line should be much improved, and RB by committee will produce some good results. Big question is WR production. If those guys step up O will be good.

Skins will be better than people predict, not sure how much better but I am glad the direction has changed.

Benoit ~ It borders on hubris, thinking your system is so majestic that an untested player with average tools can run it as long as he’s willing to learn the terminology and do as he’s told.
The humble Mr. Benoit creates a strawman by assuming that Mike Shanahan cannot possibly know more about John Beck than he does.

So if we had " a star qb" then we would rate better??

Pretty much. ESPN and the others really don't put much thought into these rankings. The fact that John Beck, who is mediocre at best, is overshadowing the many improvments made. Which is fine, it goes to show more and more the amount of just lazy reporting out there.

Archived