Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kyle Shanahan's comments on the 2010 offense

darrelgreenie

[quote name=@Rich_Campbell

Rich Campbell]Kyle's priorities for the offense: "We need to run the ball better. We need to run the ball more, and we have to be better on third downs."

I don't think I'm overstating but for me that was the biggest/best news of the offseason.

Right next to this statement:

You have to get to know your team," he said. "I think I’ll do a better job next year calling plays...It was kind of a work in progress for everyone last season. You [have to] get in a rhythm, start getting first downs and get going on long drives."

It lets me know that he's self critical.

Either that or Mike sat Kyle down one day and started the conversation off with "Son....."

I'm pretty surprised to be honest. I had come to terms a while ago that we weren't gonna be real balanced.
I am kinda surprised that he said it, but I'm heartened by hearing it.

I just hope its not lip service/coachspeak.

As I'm quite sure Andy Reid, Mike Martz and Josh McDaniels have said the same thing before at some point in their coaching careers.

Having Mike around might help wean Kyle off the pass a little.

Kyle has a strong belief in his passing concepts and for good reason he's lead some very good passing offenses.

But, having more balance will only help the explosiveness of his passing game and improve the overall offense.

Only 3 of the top 10 offenses were also top 10 in pass attempts: NO, Dallas and Houston.

Green Bay, San Diego even Philly were not top 10 in pass attempts.

I'm not saying he needs or will get close to 50/50 but even the top passing attacks had more balance.(we were 63% pass/37% run last year)

They probably realize that they have to run to help Beck out some.
Hey, I'll take more balance anyway I can get it.

Although I think it must have jumped off the film during self evaluation if the need to protect Beck/Grossman or whomever forces him to become more balanced I'll be glad of it especially on 1st downs (when its basically playcaller's choice wehter to pass or run) :

NFL 1st Down Run & Pass Stats Through Week 9 2010

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/11/steelers-1st-down-run-pass-stats-through-first-half-of-2010-season/

I'd be treating Beck as an extremely NFL ready rookie and let him get comfortable before airing it out
I really hope so, although he could use easy passes to get the QB comfortable.

In the back of my mind I think they really like Beck and believe that Beck has a chance to execute the offense at high level.

If that is the case they might come out swinging.

As far as his attention to detail, everything he does, John’s the type of guy that I’ve got to tell him to leave me alone,”...“He can’t do any more. He does as much as he possibly can, and he’s on it. It’s his first day out there and I don’t have to correct him on anything

What do you think?

Will the 2011 offense become more balanced in terms of pass vs run ratio?

Well, looking at the acquisitions so far as far as RBs and O line, it sure seems like they want more of the traditional Shanny/Denver running game, which would give whatever QB more breathing space.

Kyle's offensive gameplan demands that the QB follow the plan and not freelance and especially, not get rattled and make boneheaded plays. I am cautiously optimistic.

I love how this team is such a question mark in all aspects. We all know the 3-4 struggled early last year, but they really came together down the stretch. Now with the added pieces in the offseason, they have the potential to be special. The same can be said about the offense. We all know the obvious questions about the QB position, but this article is one more that makes some very valid points how this offense could be a pleasant surprise.

Gotta love the offseason, nothing between 5-11 and 11-5 would surprise me this year, although I think we'll end up between 7-9 and 9-7 with a lot of hope to build upon for next year.

Hail.

I love how this team is such a question mark in all aspects. We all know the 3-4 struggled early last year, but they really came together down the stretch. Now with the added pieces in the offseason, they have the potential to be special. The same can be said about the offense. We all know the obvious questions about the QB position, but this article is one more that makes some very valid points how this offense could be a pleasant surprise.

Gotta love the offseason, nothing between 5-11 and 11-5 would surprise me this year, although I think we'll end up between 7-9 and 9-7 with a lot of hope to build upon for next year.

Hail.

Well put. This will not be a "suck for luck" campaign that a lot of these doomsday people are talking about.

Hail.

This is pretty much my thoughts. I think we'll see a better looking, more balanced, more cohesive team this year, but I'm not convinced the Redskins have all the pieces in place for a 10-6+ type season. I'm thinking 8-8 this year, with solid building blocks heading into next year.

He sure as heck had better of learned from year one or else this will be an even longer year on offense than I expect.

The ironic thing in last season's bizarre play calling was that when we did actually go to the run, we ran the ball pretty well all thing's considered. (4.2 yards per carry as a team, with Torrain, Portis and Williams posting 4.5, 4.2 and 4 yards a carry respectively. All behind a porous line.). It was baffling how there was no real commitment to the run game, and even the few games there was he fast went away from what was working from half to half. And the tendency to pass in short yardage situations beggared belief. The third down completion rate for this team, new offense or not, was nothing short of criminal last year. (Ranked 31 out of 32, with only 61 being made from 208 attempts. A woeful 29% success rate on third down ending many a drive before it even started.).

Again, I sure hope he has learned from a multitude of facets from year one; because as I posted in a season wrap on him the kindest thing I can say to press about Kyles offense is it's 'a work in progress.'

Hail.

The ironic thing in last season's bizarre play calling was that when we did actually go to the run, we ran the ball pretty well all thing's considered. (4.2 yards per carry as a team, with Torrain, Portis and Williams posting 4.5, 4.2 and 4 yards a carry respectively. All behind a porous line.). It was baffling how there was no real commitment to the run game, and even the few games there was he fast went away from what was working from half to half. And the tendency to pass in short yardage situations beggared belief. The third down completion rate for this team, new offense or not, was nothing short of criminal last year. (Ranked 31 out of 32, with only 61 being made from 208 attempts. A woeful 29% success rate on third down ending many a drive before it even started.).

Agree 100%, a stout running game is absolutely vital to any hope of success, no matter how limited. Wouldn't you say they "get" this, considering the additions @ RB and OL?

Agree 100%, a stout running game is absolutely vital to any hope of success, no matter how limited. Wouldn't you say they "get" this, considering the additions @ RB and OL?

That is my hope LD man. I'm far from Kyle's biggest fan, but like Haslett on the other side of the ball, I'm both more than prepared and no less feel both deserves another year with better personnel to fully implement their ideas.

The acknowledgement in the OP that there has to be more of a balance and commitment to the run is a step in the right direction; allied to the additions you mentioned.

Hail.

I actually like Kyle, but he is so definitely his father's son, they are both very tightly regimented and structured in the way they approach the game. He has to have the right personnel and they must execute the plan for his vision to be realized. As a stubborn ole fart I can appreciate this quality, even if it means that occasionally your skull makes crunchy noises hitting the wall.

It doesn't matter if you like him (Kyle), as a person or not, Kyle Shanny is a damn good NFL OC! Now Things still may not workout here in dc,probably because of those questionable personal decision made by MS. I don't know...but what I do know is IMO Kyle Shanny is a good OC.Just look at his work in HTown.

It doesn't matter if you like him (Kyle), as a person or not, Kyle Shanny is a damn good NFL OC! Now Things still may not workout here in dc,probably because of those questionable personal decision made by MS. I don't know...but what I do know is IMO Kyle Shanny is a good OC.Just look at his work in HTown.

Of course the obvious counter to that is it was an inherited scheme from Kubiak with great personnel in Houston, but that's probably best served in another thread at another time.

Let's hope it does pan out for him here in DC.

Hail.

I'm pretty sure Kyle knows that really good teams have a balanced attack. What people are choosing to over look is the fact that our OL was not that good combined with switching from a power blocking scheme to a zone blocking scheme and the personell needing to learn those inticacies is or was the major factor. KS even says because their was no run game he relied more heavily on the pass.

Basically put folks he was playing with the hand he was dealt. If he didn't have a pass game he would have relied heavily on the run. If he had both we fans would have seen a more balanced offense but because the team was one dimensional KS was forced to utilize that more.

Hopefully this year the OL clicks and the run game picks up in order to throw off teams so their not sure what is coming at them run or pass.

Of course the obvious counter to that is it was an inherited scheme from Kubiak with great personnel in Houston, but that's probably best served in another thread at another time.

Let's hope it does pan out for him here in DC.

Hail.

And Kubiak served under.......?

There is a consistent lineage of offensive thought here, the roster was woefully short of talent and depth but we still saw flashes of what it could be last year. The scheme is not the problem.

Kyle's priorities for the offense: "We need to run the ball better. We need to run the ball more, and we have to be better on third downs."

DG: I don't think I'm overstating but for me that was the biggest/best news of the offseason.

I think you are overstating it. I don't see how stating the obvious about 2010 can be the biggest news of the offseason.

Mike’s scheme is designed for more balance, but he has to have the players who can execute the scheme in order to achieve it. If we can run the ball better, Kyle will call more running plays this season. I'm sure that he would have called more running plays in Houston, if he had had a better running game when he was there.

As for being better on third downs, dumping McNabb was the first move in correcting that problem.

I’m sure Kyle’s unfamiliarity with the players accounts for some of the problem in 2010, but the major problem was that an OC can’t make chicken salad with chicken feathers.

There's no doubt we need to be more successful when we run the ball. That 2010 4.8 ypc average is grossly misleading. Most of our runs were stuffed at the line and every now and then, Torrain would break a 14 yarder. Trust me, if we consistently ran 4.8 yards each carry, you'd never need to pass, right? I read somewhere that our scoring drives, as sparse as they were, were some of the fastest drives in the league (on average). So, how do we slow the game down? Run the ball with more YPC consistency. I'd rather have a 50-50 play-calling with 3.3 YPC than a 60-40 split with 4.8 where 3 out of four runs are stuffed at the line. I hope I'm making sense here. The advantage is longer drives with more scoring drives as well. But the biggest upside in an improved running game is TOP. We all know it keeps the defense guessing when you have a balanced attack.

Kyle's priorities for the offense: "We need to run the ball better. We need to run the ball more, and we have to be better on third downs."

I think you are overstating it. I don't see how can stating the obvious about 2010 can be the biggest news of the offseason.

Mike’s scheme is designed for more balance, but he has to have the players who can execute the scheme in order to achieve it. If we can run the ball better, Kyle will call more running plays this season.

As for being better on third downs, dumping McNabb was the first move in correcting that problem.

I’m sure Kyle’s unfamiliarity with the players accounts for some of the problem in 2010, but an OC can’t make chicken salad with chicken feathers.

This was a thoughtful, reasoned and civil response...............

Who are you and what have you done w/ OF??!? :ols:

I think you are overstating it. I don't see how stating the obvious about 2010 can be the biggest news of the offseason.

Just because its obvious doesn't mean it will be applied.

There are many OC/playcaller that are imbalanced with their playcalling.

Kyle's statements suggest that he recognizes his failures in the running game and recognizes they need for more balance.

Mike’s scheme is designed for more balance, but he has to have the players who can execute the scheme in order to achieve it. If we can run the ball better, Kyle will call more running plays this season. I'm sure that he would have called more running plays in Houston, if he had had a better running game when he was there.
We've been over the differences between Mike and Kyle as playcallers yet each time you don't respond.

But, yes Mike has been a more balanced player caller within the scheme but Kyle has not.

And Kyle is the OC.

There were several teams that had worse YPC yet ran the ball more then Redskins.

We had mid of the pack YPC bottom of the league rushing attempts.

It wasn't a question of capability it was a question of desire or commitment.

Maybe.
I’m sure Kyle’s unfamiliarity with the players accounts for some of the problem in 2010, but the major problem was that an OC can’t make chicken salad with chicken feathers.
Not quite true the Zorn/Sherm Lewis Redskins offense was better in every meaningful passing metric: Comp %, 3rd down conversion, RZ conversion, despite having less talent at the QB, WRs position and OL (2 of the worst OTs in the NFL).

I actually like Kyle, but he is so definitely his father's son, they are both very tightly regimented and structured in the way they approach the game. He has to have the right personnel and they must execute the plan for his vision to be realized. As a stubborn ole fart I can appreciate this quality, even if it means that occasionally your skull makes crunchy noises hitting the wall.

He may be his father's son but he's at the opposite spectrum as a playcaller.

I'm shocked that people believe this team is going to go 11-5. I dig the optimism for sure, but I just don't see it. I could see us going 2-14 (low end of the spectrum, I personally think we'll be better) all the way to 8-8 or so. 11-5, in a second year with a full roster turnover in a rebuilding year is a bit far fetched. But I'd love to see it happen!!!

I hope Kyle sticks to what he says. We need to run the football. Hightower, Helu, and Royster need to prove themselves the next few weeks. Torain scares me. Great back when he's healthy, but he's always beat up. I think we're going to see a RB rotation, regardless of who our three backs are. It'll probably be primarily a rotation between the starter and the 2, but the three should get carries. The OL should be better as well. Rabach not being on it is an improvement straight from the jump.

Well, looking at the acquisitions so far as far as RBs and O line, it sure seems like they want more of the traditional Shanny/Denver running game, which would give whatever QB more breathing space.

Kyle's offensive gameplan demands that the QB follow the plan and not freelance and especially, not get rattled and make boneheaded plays. I am cautiously optimistic.

Ich auch re: cautiously optimistic.

I think Kyle has some great concepts in the passing game and therefore that is his focus.

Therefore I don't expect a 50/50 balanced attack I just hope its less imbalanced.

I wish they would have added more/better along the OL.

But its almost a certainty that Will Monty is an upgrade at Center and if Jammal Brown can return to form and the OL can gel our OL will be much better.

None of this stuff means anything to me. Kyle's admitting he made mistakes last year, and he "gets it" now? Kyle LOVED Beck in 2007?

Meaningless. It's just the usual training camp chatter that kills time every year. Doesn't mean anything will be different or better this year. At least this time, thanks to the lockout, we heard month less of it.

Bring on the season already.

Archived