Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

STB21 Training Camp Recap (8/5/11)

CRobi21

That was one of Hank's shortcomings at the U. He dropped and/or bobbled catches. But sometimes that'll happen when you don't have your timing down with your QB. Beck supposedly was throwing the ball behind WRs. Wonder if he did that today.

I love how people keep running with this dropped pass thing for Hankerson. That was the first two years he was at Miami, and then he worked hard to improve that.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Shutdown-40-36-Leonard-Hankerson-WR-Mi?urn=nfl-319675

Pros: Had a pretty serious problem with drops early in his collegiate career, but his work with former Dolphins great Mark Duper and subsequent improvement speaks to his ability to take coaching and turn it into production. Has a good understanding of, and the ability to run, the entire route tree. Hankerson is particularly polished on intermediate vertical routes that allow him to get going after the catch.

And thanks for the recap STB21, too bad you are not going anyother days. Your write ups are always well thought out and insightful.

Great recap STB.Was kinda hoping for more positive news from our QB's though.Sounds like its gonna be a frustrating season.I mean we'll see db's beat by our WR's just to have a bad ball thrown INC or INT.Armstrongs speed is gonna be completely useless if we dont have a QB with a decent deep ball.

The thing is not to get too high or low reading these reports.

While they are great reads, and I love seeing them, keep in mind that it is just a fan's observations.

That is not intended as a criticism of STB21 observations or his post. It is just keeping it in perspective. We really don't know what they are working on. Beck may have been asked to alter his throwing style, which may be messing him up some. Grossman, well, this is his first full day of practice. he is going to be rusty. Clemens is just a rookie.

Or it may be just as STB21 says.... they just look terrible. :)

We'll know more as TC and the preseason progress.

BTW, thanks for the report, STB21. :cheers:

How does the O compare to previous years this early in camp?

From the reports this year they've appeared to start off making some plays as well as the D making plays, in years passed it seemed our D walked all over our O for quite some time after the start of camp.

EDIT: Thanks for the recap, good to get eyes at practise from a known and trusted source :)

Rex just threw up a whobbler that landed about 5 yards in front of Anthony after he tried to come back for it. He missed on quite a few deep balls today, a few not even close. Although he did have some nice throws... Rex receive the most heckling out of the QBs from the fans today, at least in my section.

Hightower was clearly the best RB suited up today. He had a gorgeous cut back during 11-11's. It was a stretch play to the left, and the back side LB seemed to over pursue leaving a nice cut back lane which Hightower took advantage of. He got to the outside clean to what would have been a big gain.

Very glad to have Santana back. He was clearly the best receiver out there today. Running crisp routes, and hanging on to just about every pass thrown his way.

Hankerson I don't think had a very good day. I counted probably 2-3 dropped balls which were very catchable. He seemed to lose confidence as the day went on and started to body catch balls later in practice. He did have some nice catches over the middle where he went up and got the ball, so an up and down day for Hank.

Stallworth seems very focused. Was going through warm up routes at full speed running very crisp routes.

On another play Rak used a speed rush and got right around for what would have been and easy sack.

When I was driving home from practice today and as I'm sorting through my pictures, I was summarizing to myself the exact same points above, so a big +1 from me.

For my sanity, I have to hope that kid is a gigantic bust.

I wanted him on draft night.

I was pretty upset that they didn't grab him when he fell to 10. The extra picks are obviously nice, but I was a big proponent of drafting Gabbert as I thought he had the potential to really be a franchise QB. It is just camp obviously, but from what we're reading it seems like he looks very impressive, especially considering he is a rookie who has only had a few days in the NFL because of the lockout. If he ends up being a great QB we may be kicking ourselves for a long time to come unless we get a stud prospect in the 2012 draft and he pans out.

I wonder how Cam Newton, Jake Locker, and Christian Ponder are looking in camp so far.

STB- you earn first team reporting honors. Thank you very much for the recaps.

Looks like the dragon in Rex looking alittle weak. Wonder if its that extra weight he is carrying ??

And to the ES member that posted about Gabbert- you suck.

Just kidding, but it does add to the frustration, here we are talking about a three way competion with Rex, Beck and Clemmens and we should be

salvitating over how good Gabbert looks in burgundy and gold.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but do I need an invitation or a ticket to show up to training camp tomorrow morning?

I always take one but have never needed to show it... usually they are hurding fans in to appreciation day like cattle so they dont look for your free tickets. No way would they turn you away if u didnt have one, they only do that redskins.com to get a rough idea of how many are attending.

How does the O compare to previous years this early in camp?

From the reports this year they've appeared to start off making some plays as well as the D making plays, in years passed it seemed our D walked all over our O for quite some time after the start of camp.

EDIT: Thanks for the recap, good to get eyes at practise from a known and trusted source :)

It was definitely very competitive out there. Like you said, I wouldn't give either side of the ball the upper edge today. Both the offense and the defense made their plays, and missed some plays. But like I said, it definitely wasn't just going through the motions. I recall a couple guys on defense yelling if there man caught the ball or if they took a bad angle on something. But with the good they'd be high fiving each other if they did something good. But the reports seemed accurate to me, it wasn't a one sided practice at all. Good play from both O and D.

It was definitely very competitive out there. Like you said, I wouldn't give either side of the ball the upper edge today. Both the offense and the defense made their plays, and missed some plays. But like I said, it definitely wasn't just going through the motions. I recall a couple guys on defense yelling if there man caught the ball or if they took a bad angle on something. But with the good they'd be high fiving each other if they did something good. But the reports seemed accurate to me, it wasn't a one sided practice at all. Good play from both O and D.

im sorry but that McNugget sig is funny.

Thanks for the recap STB!!! I know you said Helu didn't really do anything impressive today. Was that b/c he wasn't out there a lot? I'm just wondering b/c I'm really pulling for him to do well. I can't wait to watch him play, so I was just wondering what your overall thoughts were on him after seeing him today.

Thanks for the recap STB!!! I know you said Helu didn't really do anything impressive today. Was that b/c he wasn't out there a lot? I'm just wondering b/c I'm really pulling for him to do well. I can't wait to watch him play, so I was just wondering what your overall thoughts were on him after seeing him today.

No he got plenty of reps. Its just that when these guys are doing non contact scrimmages, its hard to tell how well he was doing. He did seem to have very good hands out of the backfield when he was running routes and is very explosive. But judging from Shanahan's comments he's doing very well, we'll just have to wait til a preseason game to see for ourselves.

Thanks for the reply! I have a feeling Helu is gonna be our RB of the future!!!! I can't wait to watch him tear it up!

Haha no problem, and I agree with you. If Torrain can't get healthy, Hightower and Helu will be a very good 1-2 punch for us.

Archived