Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: 2011 Redskins have less drama, more promise plus 3 players to watch

themurf

moss080311.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

In roughly 24 hours, the Washington Redskins will officially kick off the 2011 season.

Sure, training camp has been going on for a week, but things won’t fully get underway until the entire team – veterans included – is able to take the field and begin preparation for the regular season.

And what, exactly, will this edition of the Redskins look like? Radically different from even a year ago; that’s for sure.

When two-time Super Bowl winning coach Mike Shanahan agreed to take over the franchise, he apparently was operating under the misguided assumption that simply walking through the doors at Redskins Park was enough to make the team competitive once again.

While the 2010 season was littered with “close losses,” the fact is Washington went just 6-10 in Shanahan’s inaugural campaign.

Worst of all, an honest assessment of the state of the franchise showed that the roster was filled with an abundance of aging veterans who were past their prime and precious few playmakers.

Add in the unnecessary drama involving quarterback Donovan McNabb and the constant circus that followed disgruntled defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth and there wasn’t much to be optimistic about.

But that’s the beauty of life in the NFL, where teams are able to turn things around much quicker than in other professional sports leagues. A clear plan, along with a few savvy maneuvers, and a doormat can suddenly become respectable.

Sure, it’s easy to talk yourself into anything during the offseason,* but a quick look at what’s transpired in Ashburn since the lockout ended should really begin to make even the most pessimistic of ‘Skins fans think this regime is capable of putting together an eventual winner.

*A time of year when the Redskins typically are at their best.

For starters, the Redskins are no longer the oldest team in the league. In fact, the Redskins currently have just 10 players who are 30 or older.*

*And that’s counting guys like fullback Mike Sellers, Donte Stallworth and Artis Hicks, who may or may not still be collecting a paycheck once the 53-man roster is announced. Sellers in particular looks like he could be expendable after Shanahan and friends opted to move the former Pro Bowler to tight end, one of the team’s few positions of strength. I think it’s safe to say that second-year fullback Darrel Young is being given every opportunity to take Seller’s job.

Seeing a roster with as many guys who are 22 or younger as guys who are in their 30’s is definitely a welcome change. These are the things that happen when the front office finally decides to apply itself during the NFL Draft.

Speaking of those draft picks, several of those 12 rookies appear to have a legit chance to see action this season.

Without even factoring in first rounder Ryan Kerrigan, who continues to be hampered by injuries, there are at least three draft picks I’m legitimately excited to see in action.

Click here for the full article.

I have our best rookie coming from the D too in either Jenkins or Kerrigan.

Don't get me wrong, I'm real enthused about some of the talent we took on the offensive side of the ball, but with the major question mark over QB, and Kyle having it all to prove going forward; I honestly don't think other factors, aside from the major one of them being rooks, will allow them to really shine this year.

The D on the other hand is a far better mix of youth and quality experience, which put up some pretty tidy numbers all things considered in some key areas like turnovers and points allowed for a first time scheme with little pieces to fit in year one. That unit can only be stronger another year in with better pieces to play with.

Hail.

I wish all Redskins related article or talk were simply about well the 2011-12 Redskins. It's refreshing not to hear about past free agent mistakes/distractions, whether or not in Day Four of training camp John Beck looks like Steve Young or Tim Couch, or even about the crowd attendance.

"There’s no way around it – the Redskins are officially operating as if they have a clue what it takes to be successful in the NFL"

Great line and the heart of the offseason right there.

Couldn't agree more. I actually feel like they are going in the right direction for once.

HTTR

"There’s no way around it – the Redskins are officially operating as if they have a clue what it takes to be successful in the NFL"

Great line and the heart of the offseason right there.

I'll wait and see when we actually start winning games again. Certainly the talent from the last draft is interesting, but I'll have to see how they do on the field.

Archived