Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Rogers... is/should there be a chance of coming back

Monk in the Hall!

Thrilled as anyone at the changes we have made and among those wishing "hands of stone" a quick exit and best wishes. But.... dont shoot me... with the market apparently pretty soft- is there any window for him coming back? I know he is not thrilled to be here, and he was talking a lot of smack about the team... but (unlike CP #26) he is still a serviceable talent for the right price.

let the scolding of my observation begin....

Carlos needs more than anything a good humbling and a new setting. For too many years, we have heard him boasting about how he was a pro bowler and not improving. In fact, every year he gets a little worse. This last year, he lost me not because of the drops but because he said that he was opposed to returning to the field because it might hurt his contract status. He bailed on his team.

He has completely overestimated his worth (proof he's unsigned and the first tier of cbs are long gone) and was probably more destructive than helpful. To be unfair, how many fourth quarter collapses have the Redskins allowed with Rogers at corner back. Now, they weren't all him, but if we had a five point lead and the opponent had the ball with three minutes left we lost 75% of the time. Carlos overestimated Carlos and we overestimated him. He's barely an average corner and he doesn't do the main thing a corner needs to do. He doesn't stop plays. He doesn't force punts or turnovers.

Rogers played well last season. Sure, he couldn't catch a cold in Siberia, but he pretty much played shut down for the season. If he can be had for a reasonable price, we'd be stupid to let him go.

Did you watch our D last year? We were horrible the entire year. Thirty first in the league. Teams passed at will on us. No one played shut down. Carlos allowed 70% of the passes targeted to his man to be caught. That's pathetic.

Did you watch our D last year? We were horrible the entire year. Thirty first in the league. Teams passed at will on us. No one played shut down. Carlos allowed 70% of the passes targeted to his man to be caught. That's pathetic.

Please let the bum go! he's only out for himself and not for the good of the team. Please stop bringng his name up and let him go get his big contract somewhere else. Good luck hands of stone!!! We need playmakers at the cornerback position, not someone that drops balls thown directly to him.

That's because or defensive front was atrocious.

I'd like to see him back. Sure, he didn't make the interceptions, but those dropped picks were still passes defended. Plus, he was a decent open field tackler. He'd be a good nickle corner and considering some of the wide receivers we're facing this year, we need some good D-backs.

Carlos may be the only guy out there who can shut down other teams recievers based simply on coverage rather than the threat of picking the ball off.

Except he is not a shut down corner. Find me a game where his man caught zero balls? Heck, find me a game where his man caught less than three? We've been telling ourselves this to console ourselves, but it just isn't the case. If it were, Carlos would be signed. Good corners are a premium. Every team wants 'em. You think that the 31 teams are going to thumb their nose at a shut down corner.

Edit: That's part of it, Chip... but all the team's have been grading film on individual players. Do you think that they wouldn't have taken our d line into account? No, we overrated Rogers. He is nowhere near an elite cb. He's a pretty good tackler and an average corner with no hands.

Carlos has good coverage skills. Last season's pass defense had a whole lot wrong and it was not all Carlos' fault. ( DL was bad, no FS help over the top and Carlos had hamstring problems last season)

Personally, I think if the price is right, he could be useful and productive.

Except he is not a shut down corner. Find me a game where his man caught zero balls? Heck, find me a game where his man caught less than three? We've been telling ourselves this to console ourselves, but it just isn't the case. If it were, Carlos would be signed. Good corners are a premium. Every team wants 'em. You think that the 31 teams are going to thumb their nose at a shut down corner.

how many games have we been burned by blown plays on his side? And I'm talking where he's directly responsible. A ball was caught over him and scored on, not "oh, he dropped an INT five plays ago and they scored."

I totally agree with you 110%. Do people really that that if Carlos is as good as he thinks that he wouldn't have been signed to a huge contract by now? The dude is an average CB. I hope he's gone for good.

I hate to be mean, but I'm loving the dry market on Los.

Reality check my friend.

This. I mean, his name wasn't even being floated around as possible alternatives if a team had to bow out of the Nnamdi sweepstakes.

That's what you get, Los. Run your mouth during the lockout, but everyone knows you can't catch a beach ball.

Would like to see him back but only for the right price. No one wants to sign a cornerback who can't catch the ball (what's the point?) Turnovers win ball games.

Carlos has continue to outstanding with his coverage game but that's only an element of being a Pro Bowl cornerback, which he claims he is.

how many games have we been burned by blown plays on his side? And I'm talking where he's directly responsible. A ball was caught over him and scored on, not "oh, he dropped an INT five plays ago and they scored."

:D

But seriously, I remember many games seeing Carlos trailing the receiver as he dances into the endzone for the game winning score. Often, we have given him a pass saying it was probably the safety's fault, but some of those have got to be on him. Afterall, what man plays consistantly ten yards off the ball when he's expecting support over the top?

Looks like everyone has there own opinion on this one.... IMOP now that he sees that he isnt going to make the money he thought, bring him back if he is willing. If he dosent want to be here, then fine leave it be. But if we can bring him back for cheap our CB corps gets alot better. Yes, he is terrible in the int department, but he does have good cover skills. Right now are starting CB in nickle coverage are Hall, Wilson, Barns..... Im not sold on Barns yet, I hope he pans out.......... BUT, what if one of them gets hurt, then we would be screwed! You have to have AT LEAST 3 good CB now days in the league. We need more depth, bring him back!

Archived