Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Twitter: OL Chris Chester signs with Redskins

AboveLegit

From Ravens message board:

http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/38586-report-washington-ravens-sign-ol-chris-chester/

"LOL, There goes Danny boy spending big bucks on marginal players"

"Definitely overpaid."

"Way to overpay our weakest link of our O-line."

"They'll find out pretty quick that they won't get a return on that investment"

"Snyder continues to show how terrible he is at judging a player's value."

"The Ravens were not giving that much money to a guy who would only be rotated on the line rather than a full-time starter. Chester would've seen lots of snaps, but he certainly wouldn't have taken over starting duties.

Thanks for making these decisions easier for the Ravens front office, Dan Snyder."

That doesn't mean anything, half of the donks here don't understand anything.

Ignore my previous statement, I wasn't familiar with him playing at C for Baltimore, and had to look him up, then someone mentioned he played guard, which changed my mind at that point, definitely not a Depth signing, unless someone on roster now beats him out which would be even better right?

No you may be right. This guy started only due to injuries.

you dont sign guys to 5 year 20 million dollar contracts unless they are going to make the team though.

we don't know what is guaranteed though.

it could be 900k/year guaranteed, with the rest of it depending on how many games he starts.

i mean, haynesworth got a '100 million dollar contract', but only say what, 35 of it?

Chris Chester - C - Ravens Ravens re-signed restricted free agent C/G Chris Chester to a one-year contract.

Unless he draws trade interest from zone-blocking teams during next week's draft, Chester will return to his rule as interior swing man and tight end in jumbo packages. Apr 13, 7:00

Chris Chester - C - Ravens Restricted free agent C/G Chris Chester is reportedly drawing interest from other teams, though he's not expected to draw an offer sheet.

Any interest Chester receives would likely be coming from zone-blocking teams, but they're not going to give up a third-round pick to sign him. The Redskins or Seahawks may try to entice the Ravens to give up their swing lineman by offering a lesser draft pick. Related: Seahawks, RedskinsSource: National Football Post Apr 10, 3:33 PM

Chris Chester - C - Ravens The Ravens have assigned an original pick tender to restricted free agent C/G Chris Chester.

Chester also plays tight end in "jumbo" packages. Taken in the second round of the '06 draft when Baltimore was toying with a zone-blocking scheme, Chester has somewhat fallen out of favor with the switch to a power system.

thats all i need to know.

He worked with our offensive line coach. He was drafted to play in a zone blocking scheme, but the Ravens went to a power scheme.

Given a regular role, a scheme that is more based on athleticism than strength, and working with his former coach makes it reasonable to think his best years are ahead of him.

Nope. Bowen, Cofield, and Wilson all made out better on a per year basis.

thanks!

its hard to keep track right now.

we need one thread, thats locked, that has everything in it stickied at the top

but we wont get it :(

That doesn't mean anything, half of the donks here don't understand anything.

The aptitude of Ravens fans has nothing do with it. I think most fans here can evaluate who's played well and who hasn't over the years. Chester has been there for quite a few years.

How's Josh Wilson working out for y'all up there?

HAil.

I am not a Ravens fan...

I will comment on if I like this or not based on guarentueed money.

5 years 20M sounds like an investment, but if it is minimal guarentuee, then he can be cut at anytime.

Meaning, if he plays well, he makes starters money. If he sucks, he gets cut.

All I can say is we definitely needed more o-line help....... Regardless he has started plenty of games in the NFL and he will either make a starting position, or be a very legitament backup, wich is also very much needed........ I can remember a year where a redskins o-line has stayed healthy all year. We needed more bodies, good signing!

The aptitude of Ravens fans has nothing do with it. I think most fans here can evaluate who's played well and who hasn't over the years. Chester has been there for quite a few years.

I am not a Ravens fan...

First nobody knows the details about the contract, maybe it is backloaded and the first couple years pay less? Second, the scheme might have been wrong for this guy considering B-mores ground game and the fact that the OL coach here knows him. I think this could be a good move, and he may or may not start at all. But he is capable of playing different positions along the line.

---------- Post added July-28th-2011 at 04:25 PM ----------

I will comment on if I like this or not based on guarentueed money.

5 years 20M sounds like an investment, but if it is minimal guarentuee, then he can be cut at anytime.

Meaning, if he plays well, he makes starters money. If he sucks, he gets cut.

I bet that is the case

you dont sign guys to 5 year 20 million dollar contracts unless they are going to make the team though.

Anyone reading this as a $4 Million/year deal is wrong. Not trying to call you out or anything, but the post says nothing about guaranteed money. Basically all this says is that if he were to come here and be All-Pro for 5 years he may see that money. More than likely he's earning less than half of $4 million/year guaranteed. If you read through the whole thread, you'd see that Art has already said he's a body we've brought in that is not even necessarily a lock to make the team, meaning several things:

1) His contract is likely much, much less in terms of actual money than what the original post says (nothing against the poster, it's a twitter message being repeated)

2) We are likely to make several more signings to our O-line. This guy, who is said to be a fit for the ZBS and is already probably one of the better interior linemen that we have, may not even make the team by the time we are done signing the guys we are targeting. I'm betting that he does make the team as he can play C/G but is a depth guy.

3) Be prepared for a focus on OL over the next 24 hours.

I think he is worth a shot. Sounds like his athletic abilities wern't utilized in the system that the ravens used. It is obvious that he is very athletic. He should produce better in this system than what he produced with the ravens. My only concern is whether he will be able to learn the new system in time to be implemented into the starting lineup by week 1

It wasn't directed at you man.

That's why I prefaced it with your post intro about the Ravens boards.

Hail.

Didn't see that, apologies.

They were not happy at all about him leaving.

---------- Post added July-28th-2011 at 04:32 PM ----------

First nobody knows the details about the contract, maybe it is backloaded and the first couple years pay less? Second, the scheme might have been wrong for this guy considering B-mores ground game and the fact that the OL coach here knows him. I think this could be a good move, and he may or may not start at all. But he is capable of playing different positions along the line.

---------- Post added July-28th-2011 at 04:25 PM ----------

I bet that is the case

Fair enough, just mentioning what the Ravens fans said. It isn't the end all for Chester, but as Art mentioned previously, the guy might no make it out of camp.

Hopefully not a lot of money guaranteed.

Thinking starting right guard possibly, I've been hearing Lick-ton-sty-ger's the center. Let's get Jamaal Brown a juicy deal and I'll be happy. He started really picking it up at the end of last year,,,Montgomery for LG? And then maybe highway 74 for depth?

Archived