Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld/Pft: Redskins Closing in on Cullen Jenkins(Update: deal dead)

SkinsNoles21

I like this deal for Jenkins. Now, the potential starting upfront will be

Jenkins

Cofield

Adam C.

So far the offseason free agency is being ran by smart football folks. This is new to a lot of fans.

Where does JJ fit in? Rotating on the end or at NT? Has that been determined yet?

Go follow Haynesworth to the Patriots then. We don't need you.

Oh I forgot I am not allowed to be critical of this team or the history of FA signings made. I don't think they should get Cullen Jenkins, but I did like the Cofield trade. So I guess I should only applaud this team and never criticize them.

Always on the cards with 3 linemen gone the past 24 hours, but I can't say I'm at all happy with a 30 year old who's missed 16 games the last three years. Even less so when we move on a 23 year old who never really had a chance here and was developing into our best 34 rush end option since Orakpo changed positions. (Let's not get into a slanging match as many did with each other yesterday over the Jarmon. Just my opinion that it was a real poor move.).

Continuing my mixed FA. Ecstatic to see the back of lard ass and the turnstile. Not happy at all to see this pick-up.

As much as we're re-building, as much as we're also stuck in a (deluded) 'win now' mode.

Hail.

Oh I forgot I am not allowed to be critical of this team or the history of FA signings made. I don't think they should get Cullen Jenkins, but I did like the Cofield trade. So I guess I should only applaud this team and never criticize them.

It's just tired and played man. The FO finally is making things right and you come on here stinking up the place.

They didn't trade for Cofield, they signed him as a free agent. Get your facts and wording straight, then come in here and criticize the team all you like. Otherwise people will continue to think you're an idiot.

McNabb was traded for by this front office and they were both mishandled by the head coach. Sounds like another normal Redskins year to me.

The entire defense was mishandled given it was turned from a good unit ideally suited for the 4-3 to one terrible for the 3-4, but I do not feel bad for how Haynesworth was treated. He was not a nice man :).

McNabb was treated perfectly and professionally by the head coach. Now, Shanahan's mistake was not telling the media the truth about him and the worries they had about his decision making and poor play for us. Instead he made up goofy stuff to protect McNabb in public. I actually still like McNabb and think he should be our QB now, but, one thing is certain about this staff. It is NOT going to adjust how it wants to do things for who we have. Once we realized McNabb needed the offense tuned differently, rather than doing it, we decided to go with someone who already did. It's not entirely unlikely Beck plays better for us in our offense than McNabb did or could while McNabb has a GREAT year in Minnesota and makes the Pro Bowl.

Always on the cards with 3 linemen gone the past 24 hours, but I can't say I'm at all happy with a 30 year old who's missed 16 games the last three years. Even less so when we move on a 23 year old who never really had a chance here and was developing into our best 34 rush end option since Orakpo changed positions. (Let's not get into a slanging match as many did with each other yesterday over the Jarmon. Just my opinion that it was a real poor move.).

Continuing my mixed FA. Ecstatic to see the back of lard ass and the turnstile. Not happy at all to see this pick-up.

As much as we're re-building, as much as we're also stuck in a (deluded) 'win now' mode.

Hail.

Exactly how I feel. To me there is not clear direction as to what we want to do, rebuild or win now. We are stuck in between the two and personally I would like to see a strong youth movement instead of signing oft-injured 30+ year olds.

Not a fan of paying big bucks to a 30 year old with injury history coming off winning the Superbowl.

He'll be gone in 2 years

Be careful of what you say because any criticism and you are not a "real Skins fan" lol

Not a fan of paying big bucks to a 30 year old with injury history coming off winning the Superbowl.

He'll be gone in 2 years

Possibly. If we get good performance in those 2 years until some of our younger players can take over then it is worth it. Gotta see what kind of deal it is. If we don't overpay then it could be really nice. Where have you seen big bucks?

He'll be gone in 2 years

30 isn't that old for a defensive lineman.

Jenkins doesn't have a reputation for lazy. I imagine he works out better than Albert. Maybe not so well as Griffin, due to the age thing, but, I'll give him at least 4 here.

Exactly how I feel. To me there is not clear direction as to what we want to do, rebuild or win now. We are stuck in between the two and personally I would like to see a strong youth movement instead of signing oft-injured 30+ year olds.

I honestly thought we were in a complete rebuild man with the draft following on from some great roster work to get younger last year. This FA has started to throw up question marks that Shanahan's deluding himself into thinking we can make a run now like he thought when he first got here. Great, we end up with 7/8 wins this year with the solid vet. moves. And stay in the same doomed position going forward having missed out on a chance yet again to snag the one guy we so badly need. (And I know there's no certainty on a pick. But if you don't even have the chance to pick that great potential next year, your never gona' find out.). It's like some horrid nightmare we're doomed never to escape. Yet it's interspersed with some real good pick-up's that fit perfectly into the young rebuild demographic.

Mixed messages indeed about just what direction this team truly is headed in.

Hail.

He'll be gone in 2 years

Agreed.

I'm just not a big fan of building a D-Line via FA. What we're doing is reminding me a lot of what Shanny tried to do in Denver by bringing in the entire Browns DL and Daryl Gardner.

I don't think the team is sending mixed messages at all.

If Beck is the answer, a defense like we're putting together, with veteran depth at receiver and expected moves on the offensive line, and we do win now.

If Beck isn't the answer, the team will be positioned to make a move at QB for next season and have the pieces in place around that player to be successful. With all the draft picks we have gotten younger. Wilson and Cofield are not old. We are in line to sign ONE 30-year-old end, while getting rid of an older end like Daniels, as well as Kemo and Rabach. It's not like our average age is increasing this offseason.

Regarding the mixed message thing, this is the fine line that every coaching staff has to walk when trying to rebuild while also trying to field a team that can win. I like the approach we are taking this year vs. the one we took last year.

Jenkins really brings the defense together in a big way. He's a pretty nimble big guy. The role in a 3-4 for an end isn't to generate pressure, but he does a fair job generating some, which will free up Orakpo and Kerrigan. With Cofield, we suddenly have a solid front with the actual possibility of depth, a good rotation and a good fit for the 3-4. Improvements at safety and stability at corner now with Wilson and the defense has the potential to have the personnel to become a strong unit. Add an inside backer and another quality corner and we have the makings of a potentially good unit. Jenkins won't be cheap, so this is likely our biggest offseason move.

Now, this team MUST do something on the offensive line in the coming days.

Still, in year one we took a good defense tooled for the 4-3 and turned it into a terrible defense poorly suited for the 3-4. In one offseason we've gone from having six of 11 starters being below average for their position and another (London) being good, but not ideal for his, to a team that only appears to have ONE below average for their position starter (inside backer next to London) and one (London) not perfect, but solid nonetheless. That's strong work.

I agree 100% about the O-Line statement (and yes, the D is looking much better).

One other thing about what Art said - the Skins FO hasn't over-paid for anyone at this point. I think that is pretty good, and this move for Jenkins is a very solid move. I'd give the FO high marks so far.

Let's not forget Art we moved out a 23 year old DE, whatever you think about his prospects, for a 30 year old wide out who was the second of two brought in. Again, I really like the Cofield and Wilson moves. They fit perfectly into what I thought we were doing. As has cutting Daniels and Rabach, and off loading that disgrace to NE. But the receiver moves for one, when we had a pretty good looking core to move forward with and develop, and the difference in age swaps between Jarmon and Jenkins are not suggesting we're as fully committed to the future to me as I thought.

Regardless of how Beck plays, our D alone might win us the extra games to get to .500 or so, and that leaves us high and dry to where I believe the top guns will go next spring. And we aren't trading a kings ransom to move up.to a top 5 spot.

If we'd of won by progression this year in a season you could risk the young guys it would of been one thing and a nice bonus. To do it by design with vets. leaves us in the same old tired position.

Let's just say I'm a little flat for the first time through the new regime.

Hail.

I agree 100% about the O-Line statement (and yes, the D is looking much better).

One other thing about what Art said - the Skins FO hasn't over-paid for anyone at this point. I think that is pretty good, and this move for Jenkins is a very solid move. I'd give the FO high marks so far.

I'd like to see what the structure of the Jenkins contract is before calling it a solid move.

I also agree 100% re: the OL. We need more interior bodies, esp now that we got rid of Rabach.

Archived