Yahoo : NFL games to take longer - every scoring play reviewed

skinsdomination09

Remove the clause to  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Remove the clause to

• Approved
    • Denied

"

If an official rules a score (touchdown, field goal, safety or extra point) during a game, the replay official will automatically review the play. If there is any question as to whether the ruling is correct, they will buzz down to the referee and ask him to come to the monitor to review the play. If the replay official confirms the ruling is correct, they will buzz the referee indicating he is clear to let the scoring team attempt the extra point, or kick off if the scoring play was a field goal, safety or extra-point attempt. A coach will not be allowed to challenge the ruling of a score. The intent is to save the coach from having to challenge the ruling of a score and, thus, increase his chances of not running out of challenges or timeouts."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/NFL-games-are-about-to-get-longer-and-more-repla?urn=nfl-wp3507

Sorry, I don't start threads or post often but I found this extremely interesting and hadn't previously heard anything of it.

It seems good to me ... maybe a bit of an overkill. Thoughts?

The reason this will not work as intended, is because the replay booth guys don't know what to look for. They don't have a vested interest in any of the teams so they just look for basic stuff. Remember when we were able to challenge a play because there were too many players on the field at the time of the snap, and no one noticed it? No way a replay jockey would have caught that. If a coach sees something that the replay jockey doesn't, he is screwed?

That sounds like crap to me, AND we will have to wait extra time after scores now too.

---------- Post added July-19th-2011 at 09:55 AM ----------

Yea I think it is overkill. Every single score?

What if the official finds a block in the back on a punt return for a TD that was missed?

That isn't reviewable, most penalties can't be called in review.

Panel, the coach can't challenge the score itself, but CAN still challenge the number of players on the field during that play. The coach still has the ability to challenge any aspect of the game that he did before on any given play, he just won't have to challenge the score itself any more.

And, really, I highly doubt that most scoring plays are going to add time to the game. Most scoring plays were not challenged before due to the overwhelming evidence of the score. Therefore, the replay booth won't have much more to look at than before. In close calls (did the receiver have both feet down/ possession, did the runner break the plain, etc.) that will eat up a little more time, but not much more than the old way when the coach challenged it, had to get the officials attention, conference with the officials about what they wanted reviewed, then have the ref go to the middle of the field to tell the crowd what was going to be reviewed, run back to the booth to review it, then back the the center of the field to give the ruling, and then go conference with both head coaches about the call.

I, for one, think this will keep the games more honest. I hate it when bad calls decide good, close games. If the coaches can use their challenges on other parts of the plays AND all the scoring is reviewed to make sure it is legit, I think that can only help the overall product of the game. :2cents:

I have no problem with the replay booth officials being allowed to review the play while the PAT is made, or the players kickoff. That ought to be enough time on touchdowns, for the refs to catch the more obvious stuff that gets missed now. Why worry if a PAT is nullified?

from what I understand, the booth upstairs will be reviewing the play and they will only phone down if they feel its a reviewable play. I don't think its automatic for the refs to review the play unless its called for. I think this does take away from the game kind, but if it helps us then I'm all for it. if the ball carrier clearly scores the ball then there is nothing to review. I only think they will nitpick on close plays like a receiver bringing the ball in similar to the past MVP Santanio Holmes for the Steelers and Jets.

I'd rather they take the time to get the call right then to have a score count that should have been overturned. And besides, it's not going to affect every single score, just those in question.

Personally, I'm fine with it.

I still say that challenging an official's penalty call should be allowed.

That would be too embarrassing for the NFL. If anything, it would help make the case for full time officials. These part-timers suck ass.

I

---------- Post added July-23rd-2011 at 03:07 PM ----------

I'd rather they take the time to get the call right then to have a score count that should have been overturned. And besides, it's not going to affect every single score, just those in question.

Personally, I'm fine with it.

i'm with ya.

• 5 months later...

this rule is unfair though as it only helps the defense.

This was brought to light in the lions packers game yesterday when the lions clearly scored a touchdown but it was ruled out of bounds and they couldnt challenge because they had already used both of there challenges.

They need to expand it to review all plays that would result in a touchdown if overturned to make it fair,

this rule is unfair though as it only helps the defense.

This was brought to light in the lions packers game yesterday when the lions clearly scored a touchdown but it was ruled out of bounds and they couldnt challenge because they had already used both of there challenges.

They need to expand it to review all plays that would result in a touchdown if overturned to make it fair,

Well, in fairness to the refs, it was ruled out of bounds, therefore not a TD, therfore not a mandatory review. Detroit gets as many challenges as the other team and they blew them early on. Same thing could have happened to the other team as well.

With that said, I think coaches should be able to use their challenges on any call/non-call on the field otherwise, its pointless. Not being able to challenge pass interference is stupid. I don't mind the automatic TD review, but if they were to extend it to all plays in the end-zone, games would take 4-5 hours to play. **** that, this isn't soccer.

Well, in fairness to the refs, it was ruled out of bounds, therefore not a TD, therfore not a mandatory review. Detroit gets as many challenges as the other team and they blew them early on. Same thing could have happened to the other team as well.

With that said, I think coaches should be able to use their challenges on any call/non-call on the field otherwise, its pointless. Not being able to challenge pass interference is stupid. I don't mind the automatic TD review, but if they were to extend it to all plays in the end-zone, games would take 4-5 hours to play. **** that, this isn't soccer.

then they should get rid of the rule altogether.

They shouldnt give the defense unlimited reviews on touchdown plays but not the offense.

if the packers had used both of there challenges and it was ruled a touchdown the play still would have been reviewed.

I dont agree with a rule about scoring plays that only helps the defense, in my opinion it doesnt make any sense.

Archived