Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins in the playoffs

Burgold

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Let's say the chips fall for us. We get some lucky bounces for once and the Redskins behind Rex Grossman manage to get the 'skins to 9-7 or even 10-6, we get to the playoffs this year as a wildcard, but we are booted out in the first round. Would you be happy? Would you rather the Redskins' suck and meet the Bleacher Report expectation of 1-15 so we can get that 5 star qb prospect?

What do you hope for this team in 2011?

Just want to see progress - and I'm of the mindset that doesn't care about the 2011 draft - just focus on the team we have, continue the youth movement, and build the core we're putting together. I think we're good enough to fall anywhere from 7-9 to 10-6 this season, and am really looking forward to it.

Let's say the chips fall for us. We get some lucky bounces for once and the Redskins behind Rex Grossman manage to get the 'skins to 9-7 or even 10-6, we get to the playoffs this year as a wildcard, but we are booted out in the first round. Would you be happy? Would you rather the Redskins' suck and meet the Bleacher Report expectation of 1-15 so we can get that 5 star qb prospect?

I want to see youth reign this year, even if it costs us a couple of meaningless wins. I am going to go out on a limb and say we aren't making the playoffs. I really want to see production from Kerrigan, Hankerson, Helu and Jenkins specifically with improvement from T. Williams, Rak and the interior OL. I also want to see Fred Davis start. It hurts to say, but I think he brings more as a receiver than Cooley (and I love Cooley).

Here is the problem with eeking into the playoffs -- it sets us at 2007 again: a mediocre team without a QB. Which means we'll have to trade up to get one of the Big Three next year. While I am glad they passed on Bright-Shiney Gabbert (who isn't going to be good), it's really hard for me to root for a non-Cerrato constructed team to do poorly...

I guess we'll see where the chips fall.

EDIT: While I don't think we'll be very good, we are definitely better than the 1-15 -- 4-12 range some idiots are predicting!

I can't answer your poll because you didn't define "progress." I would expect many voters to define it as seven wins or more. My definition would be building a much stronger roster of good, young players -- regardless of the number of wins this season. That would please me.

Cool. I just get the sense that there is this pervading sense of defeatism masquerading as realism that has swept our fan base.

And given all of this team's recent success, that's just so out-of-place! :rolleyes:

I'd just like to see this team win as many games as they can, and STOP trading away draft picks for other teams' used-up players. That, and no more 38-y.o. skill players - give some young guy a shot! They found one Anthony Armstrong, so maybe they can find another!

I want to see youth reign this year, even if it costs us a couple of meaningless wins. I am going to go out on a limb and say we aren't making the playoffs. I really want to see production from Kerrigan, Hankerson, Helu and Jenkins specifically with improvement from T. Williams, Rak and the interior OL.

I agree with this. If we can make the playoffs playing a relatively young team, I don't care who is at QB and I'd love it. However, if we were to make the playoffs behind exceptional performances from guys on their last legs, then it would feel like a swan song.

Put it this way...I'd take 6-10 and promise from rookies and younger veterans over 10-6 and a playoff berth from guys with only a year or two left. The good news is that I don't believe we have too many older guys who could carry a team. So, if we were to make the playoffs in 2011 it would almost have to come from our youth.

I can't answer your poll because you didn't define "progress." I would expect many voters to define it as seven wins or more. My definition would be building a much stronger roster of good, young players -- regardless of the number of wins this season. That would please me.

In this scenario, the Redskins make the playoffs with either 9 or 10 wins. They lose in the Wild Card. Your question was answered in the OP. I'm not going to give out phony stats for all of our players.

---------- Post added July-12th-2011 at 08:54 AM ----------

I agree with this. If we can make the playoffs playing a relatively young team, I don't care who is at QB and I'd love it. However, if we were to make the playoffs behind exceptional performances from guys on their last legs, then it would feel like a swan song.

Put it this way...I'd take 6-10 and promise from rookies and younger veterans over 10-6 and a playoff berth from guys with only a year or two left. The good news is that I don't believe we have too many older guys who could carry a team. So, if we were to make the playoffs in 2011 it would almost have to come from our youth.

This is the kind of answer I was hoping for. It actually responds to the question. I'm pretty much on this boat too.

This is the kind of answer I was hoping for. It actually responds to the question. I'm pretty much on this boat too.

Nice...do I win?? :ols:

I will say this...if we decide to move forward with a veteran team, then I'm all in. I don't want us to struggle to learn a lesson or lose games to prompt a rebuild. The second we start the season, I care about wins and the playoffs until we're eliminated from contention.

You win my temporary admiration. :silly:

I'm pretty much the same way. I want us to win every single game. During the season, I'm in the forest and can't look at the big forest, so I study each of the trees. After the season, I can reflect on other issues. More, I see more good teams getting better than bad teams becoming great. So, I want this team to climb. I do want the youth to lead that charge (as they kind of did after we permanently benched McNabb), but I want to win.

Now, I don't want us to sacrifice our future a bunch of one year rentals. First, we're not in the place to make that deal. Second, that almost never works for anybody. The big winners of the Herchel Walker trade... certainly wasn't Minnesota. The big winners of the Brett Farve sweepstakes was not the Jets.

I will say this...if we decide to move forward with a veteran team, then I'm all in. I don't want us to struggle to learn a lesson or lose games to prompt a rebuild. The second we start the season, I care about wins and the playoffs until we're eliminated from contention.

How I also feel every year as well. I don't care who the players are if we have a legitimate shot at a playoff run & even further. But as you stated earlier, if we get into the first round and are booted immediately with team chock full of guys on their last legs, it feels like a worthless swan song with no hope at a championship. Thankfully it will be the youth that propel us there if we make a run at all, so here's to hoping for a 9+ win season...

Nice...do I win?? :ols:

Well, since you agreed with ME, I think I win :)

Once the season starts I won't care if Larry Johnson and not so FWP are on the team, I'll cheer for wins because I'm a ****ing Redskins fan. **I'll ***** that they're on the team, but know I can't control it** I don't believe at this point we have a 9-7 team in us and believe that a top 3 QB should be within our reach. I'd be happier with your scenario if it was Beck that stepped up as a player, because Grossman will make us little more than a one and done kinda team.

I'm not sure what choice this scenerio corresponds with.

"Win, Baby, Win" seems like an all out win now option with massive FA spending.

Your definition of "Just want to see progress" (the Redskins make the playoffs with either 9 or 10 wins. They lose in the Wild Card.) seems equally tied to success being defined solely by winning games in the short term - I'd say this would involve significant finger-in-the-dike acquisitions.

So I guess "Want to see progress, but don't want to jeopardize a high draft pick for mediocrity" is the best case scenerio for me - where we are more concerned with building a team for 2012-2014 than simply building a team with the primary goal being getting 9 or 10 wins immediately.

I think this is how I break the list down. Others can interpret differently.

Win baby win-- the only thing that matters to me is the W. Everything else is irrelevent.

Just want to see progress-- if we get into the playoffs and lose or even get blown out, but we're developing players, and the players and coaches are really starting to gel together that's what I most want to see

Progress II-- I care about the youth movement. I want our pups to play and improve, but mostly, I think we're really far away and I'd rather accumulate top picks rather than wins at this point. Developing the future matters more than winning now.

Lose, baby, lose-- the only way we'll win is if we lose now and get that top pick. Without a top qb prospect we'll never get anywhere. I don't care about edging into the playoffs this year. I want the ring and we'll never get the ring without drafting Superman.

The future is uncertain. Would like to see each and every Redskin play their guts out and let the chips fall where they may. If that means one and done in the playoffs so be it. Losing now for perceived future benefit is a sucker play.

Win, baby, win.

Playoffs are out of the question with this current roster. As a matter of fact, with the current roster, I could see us in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

Of course this is subject to change with the right peices added via FA, but even then I would consider a .500 record over-acheiving.

To answer your question? It's a bit silly to ask a Redskins fan where they "hope " this team will be. Of course we all want them to go 19-0.;) The question should be realistically where do you expect this team to be in 2011.

Playoffs are out of the question with this current roster. As a matter of fact, with the current roster, I could see us in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

Of course this is subject to change with the right peices added via FA, but even then I would consider a .500 record over-acheiving.

To answer your question? It's a bit silly to ask a Redskins fan where they "hope " this team will be. Of course we all want them to go 19-0.;) The question should be realistically where do you expect this team to be in 2011.

But that wasn't the question...the OP was posing a theoretical question. If you want to pose a realistic expectation question, you can probably start your own thread for that.

But that wasn't the question...the OP was posing a theoretical question. If you want to pose a realistic expectation question, you can probably start your own thread for that.

Umm read my whole post. I'm pretty certain I answered his "theoretical" question. K?

Win baby win-- the only thing that matters to me is the W. Everything else is irrelevent.

Just want to see progress-- if we get into the playoffs and lose or even get blown out, but we're developing players, and the players and coaches are really starting to gel together that's what I most want to see

Progress II-- I care about the youth movement. I want our pups to play and improve, but mostly, I think we're really far away and I'd rather accumulate top picks rather than wins at this point. Developing the future matters more than winning now.

Lose, baby, lose-- the only way we'll win is if we lose now and get that top pick. Without a top qb prospect we'll never get anywhere. I don't care about edging into the playoffs this year. I want the ring and we'll never get the ring without drafting Superman.

Good explanation. I'll take it one step farther, showing the priorties of the choices as I see them:

Win, Baby, Win: Priority 1: Win Now, Priority 2: There is no priority 2

Just see some progress: Priority 1: Win Games, Priority 2: Build for the Future

Progress II: Prority 1: Build for the Future, Priority 2: Win Games

Lose, Baby, Lose: Priority 1: Build for the Future, Priority 2: There is no priority 2

Archived