Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Women and their weight issues

Dapo

It's definitely a two way street....hell, I'd bet that twice as many guys tend to let themselves go.

I absolutely prefer girls who are in shape and more petite though. If I'm going to hold a girl to that standard, I need to hold myself to a higher one (and I'm doing my best).

This is the comment from the OP. Please note that the OP is 25 years old.

Any poster who is my age will know what I am talking about without me even having to say it. To those not my age, please note your body will change in the next 10 years.

Mine did. So I changed my diet and work out. No one will stay looking 20 forever but you can keep from becoming obese. This is absolutely a two way street. More of my male friends got fat than girls I know or wives of friends. Beer and tv while making excuses not to play ball has a predictable result.

It's definitely a two way street....hell, I'd bet that twice as many guys tend to let themselves go.

I absolutely prefer girls who are in shape and more petite though. If I'm going to hold a girl to that standard, I need to hold myself to a higher one (and I'm doing my best).

Get back to me in 15 years :ols: It's simple when you are 24 :ols:

Not here of course. Apparently we have a fairly decent percentage of Adonis's..Adonises...something like that ') on this site. :silly:

Just mention BMI and you'll see a flood of people claiming that they're not actually overweight, so either BMI is wrong or they are built like a pro athlete under the blubber. :)

Mine did. So I changed my diet and work out. No one will stay looking 20 forever but you can keep from becoming obese. This is absolutely a two way street. More of my male friends got fat than girls I know or wives of friends. Beer and tv while making excuses not to play ball has a predictable result.

My experience is pretty much the same. Out of all of my family, friends, and shady associates in my age bracket it's the guys who have packed on the most weight over the last 6 years. For some it started heavy drinking and food halls in college, for others it began with a desk job.

I'm a little bit confused as to what statement you're making here, to be perfectly honest.

I'm a little bit confused as to what statement you're making here, to be perfectly honest.

I am sure you are :)

You are 24.

Have kids, a wife, a career, multiple responsibilities, and a slower metabolism as you age, and then tell us all how great you look at 40.

At 24 it's a breeze.

Actually it hasn't been :silly:

I've been a bigger guy all of my life. I got a 60 hour a week desk job when I was 20. After a few years I put on a ton of weight and was pushing 260 lbs. (I'm 6'2"). I discovered this amazing thing called eating right and working out. I dropped down to 180 lbs. in a year.

I don't think it's as complicated as everyone is making it out to be. It's about discipline and making time. I'm not working "full-time", but I average 36 hours a week at work, I've worked a few 50+ hour weeks in the past month, and I'm a full-time grad school student. Eating right is easy because I have my meals planned out for the week, and I make the time to workout (on top of band practice in between those previously noted).

Most of the time weight issues = laziness. It's not complicated. I've been there, and fighting it is so much easier than people make it out to be. I'm hungry right now, so what am I having? Sunflower seeds and a Larabar with water. It beats the hell out of a late night McDonald's run :)

Having kids will make that a lot harder, but it can still be done. One's health and everything it affects are too important....

Actually it hasn't been :silly:

I've been a bigger guy all of my life. I got a 60 hour a week desk job when I was 20. After a few years I put on a ton of weight and was pushing 260 lbs. (I'm 6'2"). I discovered this amazing thing called eating right and working out. I dropped down to 180 lbs. in a year.

I don't think it's as complicated as everyone is making it out to be. It's about discipline and making time. I'm not working "full-time", but I average 36 hours a week at work, I've worked a few 50+ hour weeks in the past month, and I'm a full-time grad school student. Eating right is easy because I have my meals planned out for the week, and I make the time to workout (on top of band practice in between those previously noted).

Most of the time weight issues = laziness. It's not complicated. I've been there, and fighting it is so much easier than people make it out to be. I'm hungry right now, so what am I having? Sunflower seeds and a Larabar with water. It beats the hell out of a late night McDonald's run :)

Having kids will make that a lot harder, but it can still be done. One's health and everything it affects are too important....

Here is a little clue for you.

That works easily when you are 24.

When you are 40 it takes more than that. Your metabolism isn't so graceful. But I am glad you are making an attempt. At 40, simply tweaking your diet wont quickly drop the weight like when you are 24. At 24, it's a piece of cake.

Call me in 15 years. Thanks. :)

Not to mention you aren't even a 40 year old woman who has had multiple children which is harder.

I am sure you are :)

You are 24.

Have kids, a wife, a career, multiple responsibilities, and a slower metabolism as you age, and then tell us all how great you look at 40.

At 24 it's a breeze.

I got that from your prior post. I guess what I'm really asking is what, exactly, are you excusing? Some physical decline with age is to be expected. However, there's really no reason for being completely sedentary or obese at any age.

When you are 40 it takes more than that. Your metabolism isn't so graceful. But I am glad you are making an attempt. At 40, simply tweaking your diet wont quickly drop the weight like when you are 24. At 24, it's a piece of cake.

Call me in 15 years. Thanks.

Do you know why your metabolism is so much slower at 40? Very little of it actually has to do with how long you've been on the planet.

Here is a little clue for you.

That works easily when you are 24.

Call me in 15 years. Thanks. :)

Not to mention you aren't even a 40 year old woman who has had multiple children which is harder.

I have the metabolism of an 80 year old man :ols:

Seriously. I have friends that eat like **** all day and drink most nights who are extremely thin. I eat bad for a few days, and I can see and feel it.

Also, it's not a simple tweak to my diet, it's a complete overhaul. Hypothyroidism complicates this, but even with that, it's not as complicated as everyone is making it out to be. Everyone just wants to make excuses, which is evidenced in your post. I'm not trying to be a dick with that comment, but it's the truth. Yeah, change might take a little longer the older you get, but the formula for change, and the ease of implementing it is the same. Eat right, eat clean, and workout if possible.

Do you know why your metabolism is so much slower at 40? Very little of it actually has to do with how long you've been on the planet.

Yes I do. Live it, and we can talk.

---------- Post added July-10th-2011 at 12:16 AM ----------

Also, it's not a simple tweak to my diet, it's a complete overhaul. Hypothyroidism complicates this, but even with that, it's not as complicated as everyone is making it out to be. Everyone just wants to make excuses, which is evidenced in your post. I'm not trying to be a dick with that comment, but it's the truth. Yeah, change might take a little longer the older you get, but the formula for change, and the ease of implementing it is the same. Eat right, eat clean, and workout if possible.

My passions are IT and nutrition. Yes I know it all :ols:

If you or Enter A don't think it's more difficult at 40 something than 20 something, well then you will learn....

If you or Enter A don't think it's more difficult at 40 something than 20 something, well then you will learn....

Yeah, change might take a little longer the older you get, but the formula for change, and the ease of implementing it is the same. Eat right, eat clean, and workout if possible.

;)

Yes I do. Live it, and we can talk.

I'm not sure what it is that you think I'm asserting at this point. I've lived and observed enough to consider the playing field pretty level as far as this discussion goes and I've not once said that life circumstances don't impact health and fitness.

Is it still a low blow if I'm married to one of them and don't care at all about the fact that I'm taller than my hubby when I wear heels? Although he doesn't look like a high schooler since he's bald now :D I would never say something like that to any of the smaller wrestlers because it's not a big deal to me, but if someone is going to be mean-spirited, I'm not above pushing their buttons to make them think about how what they say makes others feel.

I just get touchy when people make fun of others because of their physical attributes instead of getting to know their heart. I think sites like the one in the OP are mean-spirited and wrong and people who put others down for a laugh over superficial attributes have mental issues.

Dunno, I had a couple of friends in HS who were almost bald.

I'm not sure what it is that you think I'm asserting at this point. I've lived and observed enough to consider the playing field pretty level as far as this discussion goes and I've not once said that life circumstances don't impact health and fitness.

Well if you have a point, make it. Stop talking around it and state your point. WTF.

If you have an assertion, state it. If not say so. Stop playing mental games.

You are 24. You don't have physical issues because of your youth.

Well if you have a point, make it. Stop talking around it and state your point. WTF.

If you have an assertion, state it. If not say so. Stop playing mental games.

Well, I was originally trying to figure out whether or not you were saying something I found objectionable on an intellectual level before I got too deep in to it. That clearly didn't go as planned :pfft:

Now, I'll just make some assertions flat out:

1. There's no good excuse for (borderline) obesity.
  2. There's no good excuse for not getting any exercise.
  3. You can manipulate your metabolism considerably regardless of your age or genetic baseline. Your ability to get in shape and build lean mass is a big part of this.
  4. You don't need any more more than 3 hours of physical activity a week to be in legitimately good shape if you use your time wisely. Most people, regardless of how many responsibilities they have, can find that kind of time if they are so motivated.
  5. Getting in shape and losing weight is difficult in proportion to how out of shape you are. This, not age itself, is the primary reason why it can be harder for the older crowd.

You are 24. You don't have physical issues because of your youth.

Swing and a miss. For years I have had to contend with persistent ankle problems that take root in a combination of bad genetics, overuse, and lack of strength. It's not hypertension, diabetes, or arthritis but it is still limiting.

Getting in shape and losing weight is difficult in proportion to how out of shape you are. This, not age itself, is the primary reason why it can be harder for the older crowd.

I am a fitness freak, as is my wife. We both workout regularly, watch what we eat, avoid all soda, etc. I'm 5'10" and 174 lbs. and she's 5'3" and 113 lbs. We look pretty much the same as we did about a decade ago, when we were in our early 20s. HOWEVER, we have to workout more regularly and be even more conscientious about our diets. I could eat a ****ing gallon of ice cream when I was in my 20s and not deal with any consequences.

Swing and a miss. For years I have had to contend with persistent ankle problems that take root in a combination of bad genetics, overuse, and lack of strength. It's not hypertension, diabetes, or arthritis but it is still limiting.

Chip didn't swing and miss, you did. You missed "because of your youth".

I am a fitness freak, as is my wife. We both workout regularly, watch what we eat, avoid all soda, etc. I'm 5'10" and 174 lbs. and she's 5'3" and 113 lbs. We look pretty much the same as we did about a decade ago, when we were in our early 20s. HOWEVER, we have to workout more regularly and be even more conscientious about our diets. I could eat a ****ing gallon of ice cream when I was in my 20s and not deal with any consequences.

What do your workouts consist of? Are your activity levels as high when you are not working out as they used to be?

Chip didn't swing and miss, you did. You missed "because of your youth".

You're interpreting that comment differently than I did. Taken that way, though, it's still not a particularly meaningful comment to make. Most physical issues that aren't the result of infectious disease or pure genetics tend to be caused by the cumulative damage that you've done to your body. That means there's a strong correlation to aging to those physical issues but, because younger folks aren't magically immune to the kinds of maladies we're referring to, there's no real causation.

You're interpreting that comment differently than I did. Taken that way, though, it's still not a particularly meaningful comment to make. Most physical issues that aren't the result of infectious disease or pure genetics tend to be caused by the cumulative damage that you've done to your body. That means there's a strong correlation to aging to those physical issues but, because younger folks aren't magically immune to the kinds of maladies we're referring to, there's no real causation.

There is a reason Michael Jordan couldn't play anymore when he was with the Wizards. His knees, they couldn't take the stress of the NBA anymore due to his aging body. There is a reason athletes degrade as they age.

I never said young people can't have any problems.

I can tell you at 40 YOUR metabolism will not process food like you do at 24. YOUR physical issues, joints, knees, ankles, etc will not be physically as fit as they are at your age of 24.

To try and imply otherwise is simply being argumentative.

Hence my point, come talk to me at 40. Keeping in good physical condition gets more difficult with time, and it's not necessarily tied into being lazy.

Okay, I'm coming late to the party, but I'll chime in. This will sound terribly sexist, but it in the next 3 years, if my wife iis 50 or more pounds heavier, I'm gone (assuming no legit medical reason)

For one, it will mean that I have failed her as a husband. I will have let her get like that. Second, it means she will have done so willingly. She's 5'3" and maybe 130. She has done sports all her life until she graduated college (2007). She was a pole vaulter in college. She is actually a little lighter than in 2007, mainly due to her no longer lifting. She has always been active and has been able to eat whatever she wants.

50-100lbs in 3 years or less is ridiculous. Its someone who truly doesn't care about themselves. Someone who lacks the discipline to put down the crappy food and eat some veggies. Someone who can't stop themselves from eating everything on the plate and then getting more.

Okay, I'm coming late to the party, but I'll chime in. This will sound terribly sexist, but it in the next 3 years, if my wife iis 50 or more pounds heavier, I'm gone (assuming no legit medical reason)

For one, it will mean that I have failed her as a husband. I will have let her get like that. Second, it means she will have done so willingly. She's 5'3" and maybe 130. She has done sports all her life until she graduated college (2007). She was a pole vaulter in college. She is actually a little lighter than in 2007, mainly due to her no longer lifting. She has always been active and has been able to eat whatever she wants.

50-100lbs in 3 years or less is ridiculous. Its someone who truly doesn't care about themselves. Someone who lacks the discipline to put down the crappy food and eat some veggies. Someone who can't stop themselves from eating everything on the plate and then getting more.

Yeah, that's completely ****ed up. I'm not even sorry to say that, that is just so messed up it's unreal.

You stand up there and say vows, through good and bad, sickness and health, rich or poor...and it turns out those vows are conditional. That's so, unbelievably ****ed it's not even funny.

Archived