Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need advice on what to offer a landscaper for a rate

SnyderShrugged

Good morning, I am hiring a landscaper off of craigslist for a simple, yet labor intensive job.

In short, I want him to rip out about a 50 x 20 strip of old landscaping, that includes 4 crepe myrtles and a bunch of barberry that is already cut down to about an inch high. We want to simply start over from scratch. We arent asking him to do any new planting or soil treatment, just the tear out.

What do you all feel would be a decent rate to offer him?

---------- Post added June-5th-2011 at 12:08 PM ----------

anyone have an idea?

I would put the ball in his court. Ask him what it would cost.

If that's not an option, keep in mind you can rent a Bobcat for around $250 for the day. You could probably dig it all up within an hour or so. Therefore I wouldn't pay any more than that. Depending on the age of your myrtles and barberry and soil conditions, one guy and a shovel could be an all-day job.

Option 3- ask him how long he thinks it will take if he won't commit to a price. If he says 5 hours, offer him $100-150. Then you've agreed on a price and he has incentive to get it done.

Is he going to haul everything off, too?

I would put the ball in his court. Ask him what it would cost.

If that's not an option, keep in mind you can rent a Bobcat for around $250 for the day. You could probably dig it all up within an hour or so. Therefore I wouldn't pay any more than that. Depending on the age of your myrtles and barberry and soil conditions, one guy and a shovel could be an all-day job.

Option 3- ask him how long he thinks it will take if he won't commit to a price. If he says 5 hours, offer him $100-150. Then you've agreed on a price and he has incentive to get it done.

Is he going to haul everything off, too?

Thanks Zoony! I was already thinking around $150 for the whole job, I could probably have him toss everything into the woods behind my home to avoid the haul away charges too.

Thanks for validating the direction I was heading!

If you were closer, I'd come get your crepe myrtles. Put a bag around the root ball and sell them on CraigsList to offset the cost of the landscape work.

Thats a good idea LadySF! Though, one reason we are tearing them out is due to sort of ruining them with bad pruning (I messed it up based on some bad advice from my brother in law) Its worth a shot though. Heck, the Landscaper guy might even keep them and maybe offset his price a bit to if asked. Thanks for the idea.

I'd be shocked if you got a landscaper to do that for $150. The job isn't too big, but to do it yourself would take 1/2 day and $80 to rent a stump grinder. I removed to myrtles that had grown to 20' and it took me a couple of hours. Cut them to the ground with chain saw, ground the stumps and hauled away the limbs.

4 hours plus equipment usage would cost more than $150, but maybe that's just me saying I wouldn't do that work for that cheap. Also will depend how much work they need. Might want to make sure they are insured as well.

1000sf is a pretty big job. I doubt anyone could manually do it in a day so $250 is probably about right. If it is easily accessible I would go the Bobcat route for around $200 and do the work in an hour or two. You could probably find other jobs to do with it or find a neighbor to spit the cost.

My Brother in Law owns a landscaping company. Assuming you want a legal resident (green card), you're probably looking in the $15 an hour range.

Seriously, don't you have any young family members (like teenagers) who want to make some money? Just hire them. All they're doing is destroying stuff. I was great at that as a teenager.

I have a myrtle in my front yard that I've pruned to grow into a tree (I limb up from the bottom to about 4 feet or so). Other than that, I don't prune it.

It's funny, lots of my neighbors have myrtles and they're out there in Februrary pruning them way back. By July theirs looks exactly like mine, which I don't touch. I don't get why people feel the need to prune them. Maybe there is something I don't know.

SS, as for your myrtles, I wouldn't worry about saving them- they are cheap and they grow very fast... doubt you'd get much for them, certainly not enough to justify the extra work.

$150 is too low IMO. I work as a construction estimator and I run into this problem on small jobs all the time. Yeah this might not take much more than an hour to do to work, but you have killed 1/2 of this guy's working day. You never get good value for small jobs, if you had a large property where a guy was already doing work over a period of time and asked him to add on the 20 x 50 area, then the $150 charge would be reasonable, but not when that is the only work he will be doing. That being said, with the economy the way it is some people will do anything as long as you pay them cash, even take some jobs at a loss just to keep cashflow going, and early spring is the time to hit up landscapers as they have not been paid on their big jobs yet and are looking for cashflow.

A good rule of thumb for small jobs is consider what you would pay for whoever is working a full day and divide it by half. I would guess whoever did it would use 2 guys, allowing $25/hr for labour. That would equal 2 x 8 x $25=$400 for a full day labour, therefore allow $200 for labour and then I would allow something for the equipment rental, between $100-$200 so I would consider $300 to $400 to be a "fair" price for the work you described.

150 is not a reasonable estimate at all, IMO. Not for a landscaping firm.

If he's just cutting the trees down and clearing the brush, and it's one guy... sounds like 200 is reasonable. If he's digging out the stumps (or grinding them) and turning soil, no way.

You're not just paying for the labor either. Paying for the job to be done right and by someone who can do it right. Take your time and maybe get a few quick little bid if need be. As stated,lots of guys hungry out there especially at this time of the year.

All good stuff guys, and many thanks. I really didnt have a baseline to go from so this all helps a ton. Just got my first quote and it was for $375 using a bobcat.

I think a few of you said that would be reasonable. Im getting a couple of more just in case first though.

stump grinder for a crepe myrtle and barberry? Jeez, I'm not using enough fertilizer

SS, get a six pack of beer, a 12' length of heavy chain, and yank those ****s out one by one with your truck. Save your cash for the moneybomb

A landscaper off of craigslist??

If I were you, I would make sure he is licensed and that he is LEGIT...it is REALLY easy for someone to start a job, after getting half the money (or some) up front, then just vanish. It happens more than you think! Even if it is a small/easy job that would take 1 day...."I'll be back.. getting lunch"

Sadly it happened to me, but it was just a guy going door to door...never again and I now screen all persons that will be doing work at or on my home!

stump grinder for a crepe myrtle and barberry? Jeez, I'm not using enough fertilizer

SS, get a six pack of beer, a 12' length of heavy chain, and yank those ****s out one by one with your truck. Save your cash for the moneybomb

LOL, I probably could do it myself, in just the manner you describe, but unfortunately, my job has me away from the house 6 out of 7 days lately for travel. Time is really at a premium for me for the summer and Im in a bit of a rush on this.

---------- Post added June-7th-2011 at 05:44 AM ----------

A landscaper off of craigslist??

If I were you, I would make sure he is licensed and that he is LEGIT...it is REALLY easy for someone to start a job, after getting half the money (or some) up front, then just vanish. It happens more than you think! Even if it is a small/easy job that would take 1 day...."I'll be back.. getting lunch"

Sadly it happened to me, but it was just a guy going door to door...never again and I now screen all persons that will be doing work at or on my home!

Agreed. In fact, I was planning on either using a bonded guy or only pay when the job is done.

Archived