Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bleacher Report- Landry will be "New Leader"

12 hour workouts? I hope no one questions his commitment. Good to hear he's almost back to 100%.

---------- Post added May-25th-2011 at 08:47 PM ----------

good thing he is tough because he's always hurt

All NFL players are "hurt" during the season. Before last year he missed one game over 3 seasons. That's pretty good by my standards.

“Having O.J. as the free safety, I can be free to play closer to the line,” he continued. “We are interchangeable. When Sean (Taylor) die, I had to move to free safety. In college, I was primarily a free safety. I’m very interchangeable, but my badge (comfort zone) in a scheme is to get involved because I’m a guy that can’t sit and let plays come to me, I have to go get it.”

Can we now put this "natural position" bull**** to rest?

Oh, and LaRon, you were already one of my favorite players on the team, but you just earned yourself an away jersey. Incredible.

To all of the haters since 2008: I told you so. :)

Oh, and LaRon, you were already one of my favorite players on the team, but you just earned yourself an away jersey. Incredible.

Having watched him at LSU, I carried the LL flag as well. He was the best defensive player in college and only needed to be utilized where he would shine...10 YDs off the line of scrimmage, not 30. And almost everyone plays hurt but it's different when you're injured. LL had the shoulder and achilles and was the NFL defensive MVP for the first 8 weeks.

Isn't a "natural" position different than his "former" position? As a free safety with us, he played zone. I don't know how was used in LSU, but he even confessed that he can't sit and wait - he's got to go out and get it.

Thus it wasn't his "natural" position. He's not the kind of player we asked him to be.

I knew he had it in him all along... just needed to get his mind right and find the passion for the game. That's my DIRTY!!!!!

Wow! I had zero clue Landry was that hurt for most of the season,my respect for him just went up a few notches. I'm optimstic that the defense will be dramatically improved overall. Jenkins,Bryant,Carriker,Orakpo,Kerrigan,DHall,Dirty30,and OJ looks impressive on paper hopefully it will also translate on the field. It's refreshing to hear the guys WANT to be leaders and assume leadership. I truly believe that the mistakes of the previousz regimes are just about over...HTTR!

I was probably one of the biggest defenders of Landry's play at FS after 2008, but even I'd agree that having him at the SS spot is more "natural" for him than sticking him 25 yards off the LOS to roam in deep coverage.

The rest of his quote even backs up that idea up- "I'm a guy that can't sit and let plays come to me, I have to go get it."

Yes, he has the range to be a pretty good FS, because he's an athletic freak at the safety position (even by NFL standards, which is also why it was easy for him to alternate between the FS/SS roles in college), but his instincts and physical playing style enable him to be an arguably All Pro level SS.

“My mindset is totally different, now man,” said Landry with excitement early Wednesday morning via phone. “This lockout added a lot of fuel to what I want to accomplish for this upcoming season. From being in the weight room to rehabbing, my whole mentality is different.

“I just want to go out this season as a leader and finish stronger,” he continued. “I’m just ready for it (the season), man. I will have a better season than last year’s.”

LaRon, if you can play better than you did last year for an entire season, you'll be a probowler and an All-Pro for sure.

+1

I'll be ordering my Landry to go with my Taylor for my bday. Opening day jersey. Now I'll just need an Orakpo and Hankerson to keep my collection current.

I think the combination of Landry and Taylor worked well because both players were almost interchangeable and were like 'modular safeties -- opposing QB's weren't always sure which safety was going to do what. However, Moore and Doughty were not as talented as Taylor and definitely more one-dimensional which forced Landry to cover for them and play a reactive/protective "backstop" which goes against his first instincts.

On the other hand, I think O.J. Atogwe is going to be the perfect safety for supporting Landry's penchant for playing attacking football. O.J. likes the role that Landry doesn't care as much for, and vice versa. I'm optimistic about our safety tandem again.

Having watched him at LSU, I carried the LL flag as well. He was the best defensive player in college and only needed to be utilized where he would shine...10 YDs off the line of scrimmage, not 30. And almost everyone plays hurt but it's different when you're injured. LL had the shoulder and achilles and was the NFL defensive MVP for the first 8 weeks.
Isn't a "natural" position different than his "former" position? As a free safety with us, he played zone. I don't know how was used in LSU, but he even confessed that he can't sit and wait - he's got to go out and get it.

Thus it wasn't his "natural" position. He's not the kind of player we asked him to be.

He didn't get the sixth-overall pick by being anything but stellar at his college position.

The difference between the LaRon Landry of 2007/2010 and the Landry of 2008/2009 is coaching, and that's it. Coach Williams made the only difference between Landry and Sean in 2007 a jersey number. Two interceptions in his rookie season in a playoff game in a "non-natural" position? Yeah, no. Landry was a monster.

In 2008/2009, he played under a ***** coach with balls the size/shape/location of ovaries. Blache was as bad of a decision as Zorn.

In 2010, he has a real coach, and he's an all-pro missing half of his body.

Believe me, it wasn't the position that was hampering him.

Just to be a contrarian, if he were becoming a great "leader" he would be at the player-driven minicamps if only to cheerlead and help coach the youngsters. He may be working hard towards becoming a great player, but a leader?

It's hard to lead from afar.

Just to be a contrarian, if he were becoming a great "leader" he would be at the player-driven minicamps if only to cheerlead and help coach the youngsters. He may be working hard towards becoming a great player, but a leader?

I was mixed on this, too. As long as he shows up during the real practices and does his thing on the field, he'll be a leader.

True,but it would throw off his rehabing a bit. He's working 12 hours a day and when he isn't working, he's probably getting fixed up.

PS. He's already a "Great" player.

Believe it when I see it. Like if he DOESN'T preen after every single play regardless of the score.

He's got talent but he's an incorrigible showboat like it or not.

Starting a fight during warmups last year against the Eagles and then giving up a 88 yard TD on the very first play aimed directly at you? Didn't exactly have "leadership" written all over it.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Archived