Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bleacher Report- Landry will be "New Leader"

Believe it when I see it. Like if he DOESN'T preen after every single play regardless of the score.

He's got talent but he's an incorrigible showboat like it or not.

Starting a fight during warmups last year against the Eagles and then giving up a 88 yard TD on the very first play aimed directly at you? Didn't exactly have "leadership" written all over it.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.

And that was on DHall. Landry actually had good coverage on Jackson for having to get into position with almost no time but Jackson had already dropped it into 6th and no one keeps up with him when he's done that.

Just to be a contrarian, if he were becoming a great "leader" he would be at the player-driven minicamps if only to cheerlead and help coach the youngsters. He may be working hard towards becoming a great player, but a leader?

It's hard to lead from afar.

This^^^

12 hour workouts do not make you a good leader. Nothing I've seen from him thus far leads me to believe he's a "leader" in the true sense. However, he is a very talented football player.

---------- Post added May-26th-2011 at 11:54 AM ----------

True,but it would throw off his rehabing a bit. He's working 12 hours a day and when he isn't working, he's probably getting fixed up.

PS. He's already a "Great" player.

He's a very good player,....not a "great" player. Actually, he's not even close to being a great player yet. Let's just hope he reaches that level.

I don’t think anyone would argue that the defense and the Redskins as a team were much better with Landry on the field vs off it. All you have to do is look at the stats and the win/loss column.

Although the Redskins secondary is set with rookie DeJon Gomes and the return of Chris Horton…

I wouldn’t say it’s “set” with Horton (he only made 9 tackles in 8 games last year) or Doughty (as much as I like the guy).

“I heard rumors of him (Dawan) coming to the Redskins and if so, I would be crazy and I would love it,” said Landry. “It’s not often to have brothers playing on the same team together on the same side of the ball.”

Interesting they mentioned his brother coming to the Skins. I had not heard that.

Interesting they mentioned his brother coming to the Skins. I had not heard that.

Only problem with that is they are very similar in their play styles. Dawan would be backing up LaRon, and they would very rarely be on the field at the same time. If Dawan comes in, I think Horton is out.

Only problem with that is they are very similar in their play styles. Dawan would be backing up LaRon, and they would very rarely be on the field at the same time. If Dawan comes in, I think Horton is out.

I hope the Predator returns to his original form and gets the INT's the Redskins need. I would love to see three safeties and two corner packages on passing downs.

Can we now put this "natural position" bull**** to rest?

Oh, and LaRon, you were already one of my favorite players on the team, but you just earned yourself an away jersey. Incredible.

To all of the haters since 2008: I told you so. :)

already got the away jersey, and my girl gave me a LL#30 signed mini helmet for my bday. :)

You missed my point, Landry takes some dumb penalties, I'm not talking about blows to the head, cause sometimes they are going to happen, ITS FOOTBALL!

But LL seems to have a nack for taking a dumb penalty, when he shouldnt

As a general rule, it's best to ignore anything and everything that comes from the Bleacher Report. Very little that comes out of there is ever worth reading and the quality of their work is typically pretty awful.

As a general rule, it's best to ignore anything and everything that comes from the Bleacher Report. Very little that comes out of there is ever worth reading and the quality of their work is typically pretty awful.

I couldn't even get through the horrendous writing in this article. Blech. Just skimmed it for the LL quotes.

12 hour workouts do not make you a good leader. Nothing I've seen from him thus far leads me to believe he's a "leader" in the true sense. However, he is a very talented football player.

He's a very good player,....not a "great" player. Actually, he's not even close to being a great player yet. Let's just hope he reaches that level.

Agree with both these comments. .

Can we now put this "natural position" bull**** to rest?

That's not a new revelation. People have been mentioning that ever since he took over for ST. It's been obvious that FS isn't the position for him.

That's not a new revelation. People have been mentioning that ever since he took over for ST. It's been obvious that FS isn't the position for him.

I don't think that you understand what I'm saying. He was drafted at sixth overall because of his play at free safety. He was incredible when he took over for Sean. Again, two picks in a playoff game at free safety in his rookie year. The *ONLY* thing that changed was coaching. He went from having a coach to not having one for two years.

And for those saying that Landry isn't a "great" player: Define a "great" player for me. Landry was one of the best safeties in the league bar none. Anyone who actually watched him play this year knows that.

And that was on DHall. Landry actually had good coverage on Jackson for having to get into position with almost no time but Jackson had already dropped it into 6th and no one keeps up with him when he's done that.

Absolutely agree. That was on Dhall for giving DJax a free release at the line. Anybody that says that was on LL is a football illiterate.

He didn't have any penalties last year.
Absolutely agree. That was on Dhall for giving DJax a free release at the line. Anybody that says that was on LL is a football illiterate.

Shhhh! That doesn't fit the extrapolated and over-exaggerated arguments from two years ago that people are harping on!

He didn't get the sixth-overall pick by being anything but stellar at his college position.

The difference between the LaRon Landry of 2007/2010 and the Landry of 2008/2009 is coaching, and that's it. Coach Williams made the only difference between Landry and Sean in 2007 a jersey number. Two interceptions in his rookie season in a playoff game in a "non-natural" position? Yeah, no. Landry was a monster.

In 2008/2009, he played under a ***** coach with balls the size/shape/location of ovaries. Blache was as bad of a decision as Zorn.

In 2010, he has a real coach, and he's an all-pro missing half of his body.

Believe me, it wasn't the position that was hampering him.

He played SS in college and his rookie year. Played FS after ST21's tragic murder and then finally went back to SS last year. He's an ALL-PRO cailber SS but an average FS...That's the difference.

I don't think that you understand what I'm saying. He was drafted at sixth overall because of his play at free safety. He was incredible when he took over for Sean. Again, two picks in a playoff game at free safety in his rookie year. The *ONLY* thing that changed was coaching. He went from having a coach to not having one for two years.

Yeah, but he's shown that he can get confused and out of position in space. Steve Jackson has been his coach since he's been here, so I don't see how head coaching changes would that dramatically affect his performance. He's not the FS any more, and no surprise, he played a lot better.

He played SS in college and his rookie year. Played FS after ST21's tragic murder and then finally went back to SS last year. He's an ALL-PRO cailber SS but an average FS...That's the difference.

From all accounts, he was primarily an FS in college.

Yeah, but he's shown that he can get confused and out of position in space. Steve Jackson has been his coach since he's been here, so I don't see how head coaching changes would that dramatically affect his performance. He's not the FS any more, and no surprise, he played a lot better.

I'm not saying that Landry can't play strong safety better than free safety, but don't knock his free safety game.

Okay, so Sean went out November 10 against the Eagles. We were owning that game. Then Doughty came in and blew it because, well, he's no Sean Taylor. Same thing in Dallas the next week (four touchdowns to Owens who was a non-factor with 21 on the field). Landry takes over and does a good job after that until the Chicago game. With one ridiculous hit very much worth the 15-yarder at the 0:18 mark (coincides beautifully with the music; if anyone has the actual video that this guy stole, then I would love to get it from you), Landry doesn't introduce himself to the NFL has a premiere safety; the NFL gets introduced to him:

(Don't know how to use the Youtube tag, whatevs)

The next week at New York, Landry screams from out of nowhere to destroy our future #1 receiver Plaxico Burress (:jerk:) and break up a play to get the Giants back into the game. Dumbass fifteen-yarder after that, yes.

Then, in the playoffs, two picks at the free safety position.

Landry ended the season as a member of the 2007 All-Rookie Defensive Team and a Pro Bowl alternate.

The next year he didn't have the same production. Worse the year after. What was the only change? From Williams to that coward Blache.

All of a sudden Has comes in and Landry is, again, playing at a Pro Bowl level.

It was the coaching.

Archived