Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Welfare Looked Down Upon?

Chiefinonhaze

Generally, if a person with low income uses food stamps or other government assistance, it is alright. but if someone who is middle class uses them it is an atrocity?

I feel like anyone who has the chance to get government assistance, should take that opportunity.

It's ok for the government to use our tax dollars for BS, and for them to rape us on gas prices, but when people want to take money from the government, it has a stigma behind it.

Because sponging off of the Federal Government when you're more than able to support yourself is selfish, lazy, and a burden to your fellow citizen. Welfare should only be used by people who NEED it.

Also, the government doesn't regulate gasoline prices.

Because sponging off of the Federal Government when you're more than able to support yourself is selfish, lazy, and a burden to your fellow citizen. Welfare should only be used by people who NEED it.

Also, the government doesn't regulate gasoline prices.

But they can sponge off of us? How is it different?

Who regulates the gas prices then? I can find you a news article from about two weeks ago that said the price of oil had gone down. Yet the gas prices continued to climb.

Maybe the government doesn't regulate gas. but they can certainly intervene, and they obviously don't do this.

Honestly, no matter how rich I get, if I figure out how to attain food stamps, I would do it. **** the government, I will gladly let them pay for my food.

Welfare is not looked down upon as much as waste and abuse of it.

It is against my nature to depend on others or take from them.

Middle class gets food stamps????

My next door neighbor gets food stamps. I live in a single family community. His father got laid off, so he is having difficulty providing for his family.

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 11:09 PM ----------

Wait, what?

The government IS the reason gas prices are so high. The taxes they impose drive the prices of gas up! It may be the oil companies controlling this, but the government plays a role in the gas prices being so high.

The government IS the reason gas prices are so high. The taxes they impose drive the prices of gas up! It may be the oil companies controlling this, but the government plays a role in the gas prices being so high.

Erm... the feds take in 18.4 cents per gallon. The states average somewhere around 27 cents per gallon. That's roughly 45 cents combined. Regular unleaded is over four bucks in my neck of the woods.

His father got laid off, so he is having difficulty providing for his family.

Not following you....he is getting foodstamps because his father got laid off...or his father is?

But they can sponge off of us? How is it different?

Who regulates the gas prices then? I can find you a news article from about two weeks ago that said the price of oil had gone down. Yet the gas prices continued to climb.

Maybe the government doesn't regulate gas. but they can certainly intervene, and they obviously don't do this.

Honestly, no matter how rich I get, if I figure out how to attain food stamps, I would do it. **** the government, I will gladly let them pay for my food.

Watch this at about 6:07 (especially starting at 7:00) and watch until 9 minutes.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/education/2011/05/08/sn.0509.cnn

That tells you what constitutes gas prices.

If you're too lazy to watch, this is from the transcript:

Most of it is how much oil costs. And then there is an expense for marketing and distribution of that gas, for refining of the gas. A little margin that goes to the retailer, and then a chunk that goes to the states and the federal government. So, gas is made up of a lot of things. Most of those proportions have not been increasing. The only part of the price of a gallon of gas that's been increasing is the cost of crude oil, which has been going up for over a year now.

The price of oil is a commodity. Part of it is supply and demand, and the other part of it is speculation. Some people think there's a better investment in oil than in other things. So, they trade, they buy oil, oil futures. Not because they'll ever need oil, but because they can make money off of it.

Oil is priced the same way no matter where it is in the world. There is one price, whether you get it from Canada or you get it from Saudi Arabia or you get it from Russia or you get it from Kazakhstan. Oil is priced at a market price. The world determines how much you're gonna pay for oil. So, when there is unrest, the concept, the psychology that says we may have problems getting oil is enough to start moving the price of oil higher and higher.

In most cases, the gas station or the retailer is free to set their own prices, but generally, there are lots of gas stations around. So, they've got to set a price that people will come to them and buy gas at. If there is a gas station across the road that's $3.75, and if you're selling it for $3.89, you are not going to get customers. Now, there are always examples of gas stations that are a one-off. There was one in Orlando which, interestingly, is right on the way to the airport after you have been at Disney or one of the theme parks. And they were charging over $5 because once you get there, you realize you've gotta fill up your tank before you give your rental car back. That's kind of an example of gouging.

AND.... welfare isn't taking money from the government really....do you know how they have money for welfare? From our taxes? Why do many people look down on welfare? Because of people like you!

Maybe this shapes the opinions of some....

A record 18.3% of the nation's total personal income was a payment from the government for Social Security, Medicare, food stamps, unemployment benefits and other programs in 2010. Wages accounted for the lowest share of income — 51.0% — since the government began keeping track in 1929.

His father is. They are clearly a middle class family.

Well if he is unemployed and in need,that is what it is designed for.

My preference(and what I practice) would be for the son to help him out,but sometimes that is not possible or chosen.

Generally, if a person with low income uses food stamps or other government assistance, it is alright. but if someone who is middle class uses them it is an atrocity?

I feel like anyone who has the chance to get government assistance, should take that opportunity.

It's ok for the government to use our tax dollars for BS, and for them to rape us on gas prices, but when people want to take money from the government, it has a stigma behind it.

Again, you are creating a straw-man argument to try to prove a point.

Very few (if any) people complain about welfare. It is needed by some and should be a part of our society.

The complaints, if you choose to read them correctly or at least argue with some type of intellectual sincerity, are about the folks who ABUSE the welfare system. This was never supposed to support generations of people, yet it still does.

Lastly, your quote about "Rape us on gas prices" shows you have no idea about how gas prices are set and the government's role in them. The government has almost nothing to do with these prices, so maybe you should read a little more and start threads like this a little less.

Watch this at about 6:07 (especially starting at 7:00) and watch until 9 minutes.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/education/2011/05/08/sn.0509.cnn

That tells you what constitutes gas prices.

If you're too lazy to watch, this is from the transcript:

AND.... welfare isn't taking money from the government really....do you know how they have money for welfare? From our taxes? Why do many people look down on welfare? Because of people like you!

I don't use government assistance. I just see nothign wrong with it.

These "taxes" you speak of would already be paid, even if there was no welfare system. You think they would stop taxing us because they didnt have to pay welfare anymore?

I wish we could "like" posts like on facebook....because I would "like" btfoom's post

Thanks. I have no problem debating the facts regarding an issue, I just wish folks would simply present an idea (not some talking point or strawman argument) and debate it straight up.

BTW, If I could "like" stuff here on ES, I'd like "Oceanside, Cali", great place (at least to visit).

I don't use government assistance. I just see nothign wrong with it.

These "taxes" you speak of would already be paid, even if there was no welfare system. You think they would stop taxing us because they didnt have to pay welfare anymore?

I didn't say you used it, but people like you with your view of it are what's wrong with the system. "Oh, it's okay to take from the government because they take my money!" When it's not the government's money you're really taking.

Personally, I'd be embarrassed to be on welfare. I'd be embarrassed to be seen using food stamps. And I would do everything in my power to not have to resort to that.

I don't have a problem with welfare if it's for really needy people, but when people go on it when they don't have that NEED and they are able-bodied and can work, it grinds a lot of people's gears.

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 09:03 PM ----------

BTW, If I could "like" stuff here on ES, I'd like "Oceanside, Cali", great place (at least to visit).

It will go back to saying "Virginia" in less than a month....I'm moving back home!!

Because the welfare system is obviously being abused just like every government program it seems. I have no problem with my tax dollars going to somebody that really needs the assistance but its people like you with that mindset abusing the system.

I know tons of people that work under the table as bartenders and doorman and stuff like that in NYC that are claiming unemployment. I used to look down on them for it, but now I'm like you know what, **** it, in the scheme of things get what you can while you can because the gov't will take every chance it can to screw you over.

I know tons of people that work under the table as bartenders and doorman and stuff like that in NYC that are claiming unemployment. I used to look down on them for it, but now I'm like you know what, **** it, in the scheme of things get what you can while you can because the gov't will take every chance it can to screw you over.

And now the governtment is trying to get its hands on health care.. yayyyyyy

I don't have a problem with welfare. As other people have stated, most people have a problem with welfare abuse, not regular old poor people getting food stamps. I personally would never apply for welfare, it's just not in my blood. I don't like taking money from anybody unless I've worked for it. I think that this should be the standard American mind set.

The two following quotes best exemplify why I would have a problem with welfare. They represent a lazy state of mind that doesn't mind leeching off the government, or in other words, the people.

Without this "welfare" that you speak of, the debt could be paid down rather quickly with those "taxes" that would have already been paid.

Archived