Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Boxer Bernard Hopkins Rips Donovan McNabb - ESPN

Dan T.

It's so crazy to me that articulate black men seem to have to deal with prejudice from their own race. I've actually always liked how McNabb has handled himself, definitely not the type of personality you expect from Philly, but I will always look at him as a very classy guy.

OK, why is Iverson and T.O. in this discussion? What did those to guys do to give that impression. Iverson was and still is my one of my favorite athletes. He may have had a liquor and gambling problem but when did he ever call someone an "uncle tom"?

Hop called McNabb in essence an "uncle tom" because he is well spoken and grew up in a privileged neighborhood.

T.O. and Iverson grew up in generally an underprivileged area, and are "more black" because they speak more "ghetto" than McNabb.

---------- Post added May-11th-2011 at 09:14 PM ----------

It's so crazy to me that articulate black men seem to have to deal with prejudice from their own race. I've actually always liked how McNabb has handled himself, definitely not the type of personality you expect from Philly, but I will always look at him as a very classy guy.

FWIW, I was watching "8 mile" again the other night, and in the last rap battle, Eminem blasts a guy for his parents being together and having a good marriage. When that's an insult, something's wrong with the world.

FWIW, I was watching "8 mile" again the other night, and in the last rap battle, Eminem blasts a guy for his parents being together and having a good marriage. When that's an insult, something's wrong with the world.

Don't ever try to judge me dude

You don't know what the **** I've been through

But I know something about you

You went to Cranbrook - that's a private school

What's the matter, dog?

You're embarrassed?

This guy's a gangster?

His real name is Clarence

Now Clarence lives at home wit both parents

And Clarence parents have a real good marriage...

When did Bernard Hopkins become a smart man? So what is the normal traits of black men? Are they suppose to be a ME ME ME ME attitude? Are they suppose to be thugs? Are they suppose to do illegal things and go to jail? Or are they suppose to be fighters with no brains? Mr. Hopkins can't do anything else except box because when his career is over no one will even remember him. Just another guy trying to get publicity because I have never heard oif the guy before. Does he have a championship? Is he famous? Has he ever headlined a PPV? He will never be a houshold name and he has to do this to get recognized. What a waste.

When did Bernard Hopkins become a smart man? So what is the normal traits of black men? Are they suppose to be a ME ME ME ME attitude? Are they suppose to be thugs? Are they suppose to do illegal things and go to jail? Or are they suppose to be fighters with no brains? Mr. Hopkins can't do anything else except box because when his career is over no one will even remember him. Just another guy trying to get publicity because I have never heard oif the guy before. Does he have a championship? Is he famous? Has he ever headlined a PPV? He will never be a houshold name and he has to do this to get recognized. What a waste.

BHop is a the former Undisputed World Middleweight Champion, and the first fighter to retain all 4 world titles of each major boxing sanctioning body, plus the Ring Magazine belt, in the same fight. Having defended a world middleweight title for a record 20 times, he is considered one of the greatest middleweights of all time. He is also a former Ring Magazine Light Heavyweight Champion.

But he should never be taken seriously and his comments about McNabb are laughable.

Yea, Hopkins is an all-time great. What he has done past the age of 40 is unheard of. Perhaps the greatest middleweight boxer of his generation and there were some good ones.

everybody's hittin the nail on the head with this topic, espeacially kappaluv and rodriggo. i find this more offensive than the obama monkey pics, or any of the other racial issues that involve white people. this is more disappointing. i didn't read the whole thing. did he even mention football? i never liked how when black people act smart they're bein white, and when white people act stupid they're bein black.

when i was little, i made a comment about somebody soundin "white." my uncle asked me "what's wrong with pronouncing a word the way you are supposed to pronounce it?" logically, i couldn't find anything wrong with it, and i haven't felt that way about speakin proper english since then. i mean, what's wrong with doing ANYTHING correctly? i'll be honest, i find it funny when comedians make these types of jokes, but b-hop is serious. i never had a problem with dude until now. i hope the french canadian bamma knocks him out lol.

I don't think that the Mr. Boxer was saying that McNabb wasn't black, I think he was saying that McNabb wain't a true N-word-a like himself. I don't even know why this makes the news. Actually, now that i think about it Bill Gates just ain't white enough. And Michael Jackson knew he wasn't.

Also, as a white man, i love black on black hate.

I saw this earlier on the NFC East Blog.

Hopkins is an idiot, straight up. Anytime you are complaining that somebody was raised better than you, then you must have some serious issues in the head.

Say what you want about McNabb, but don't say the dude isn't a class act. Every situation he has been in his entire career, he has handle it with class. From being booed when he was drafted, Rush Limbaugh, T.O., the drafting of Kevin Kolb, all the way up to the Shanahan's, McNabb has been a classy individual.

I don't think that the Mr. Boxer was saying that McNabb wasn't black, I think he was saying that McNabb wain't a true N-word-a like himself. I don't even know why this makes the news. Actually, now that i think about it Bill Gates just ain't white enough. And Michael Jackson knew he wasn't.

Also, as a white man, i love black on black hate.

...and even implied that the Washington Redskins quarterback wasn't black enough.

"Forget this," Hopkins said, according to the Philadelphia Daily News, and pointed to his own skin. "He's got a suntan. That's all."

According to Hopkins, McNabb had a privileged childhood in suburban Chicago and, as a result, is not black enough or tough enough, at least compared with, say, himself, Michael Vick and Terrell Owens.

And that last sentence might be seen as a little over the top. Just FYI

My bad dude. I should have read your post twice. Cause after reading it again, I have no idea what your talking about.

It is a comparison based on upbringing and socioeconomic standing. The first list were atheletes who essentially grew up in poverty and the second group are athletes who grew up in much better economic position. The second group are viewed as less black because being black means being poor and not enunciating words properly.

When that's an insult, something's wrong with the world.

The only time i can see this sort of insult justified is if an individual is trying to portray something that they are not. For instance, a dude is giving of this image that he's a "G" and was forced into that particular lifestyle - where in reality said individual was raised under privilaged circumstances (2 parent household, suburbs, private school Educ.,...etc.). Those with sense know that there is NOTHING wrong with any of that, just don't front like you're something when you're not. Keep it real.

Ugh. I think I was just transported back to 1960.

I don't like Mc5 that much as a player for us...and I don't know him as a person, obviously...but even so I feel the need to say "Sorry dude. Sorry you have to deal with this kind of crap in 2011."

Wow.

Yea, Hopkins is an all-time great. What he has done past the age of 40 is unheard of. Perhaps the greatest middleweight boxer of his generation and there were some good ones.
And yet, all that Bernard Hopkins will be known for in the general public, is that he's a racist idiot.

Who honestly cares? Seriously. I know its the offseason, but damn.

A loud-mouthed, possibly brain damaged boxer talking trash about a QB most want off our team. Am I missing something here?

As a black man myself, I find Bernard Hopkins' very ignorant. Sadly, he's not the only one that feels that way. It's the samething, but in a different context, when I hear my local radio station DJs giving a shoutout to the guys "holding it down" in jail.

I dislike Hopkins comments just as much as the next guy, but I'd rather not see anymore reports on worthless nonsense posted in The Stadium.

You have to understand that since we're in a lockout, News is very slow and Hopkins did make these comments about a Redskin player.

Anybody see this article? Not sure if it deserves its own thread, but there are a couple interesting things in here:

1) McNabb refused to wear a playsheet wrist band because he thought it would tarnish his image.

2) Snyder berated Shanahan for failing to keep McNabb in line.

http://riggosrag.com/2011/05/12/mcnabb-noncompliant-with-redskins-top-brass/

Archived