Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Boxer Bernard Hopkins Rips Donovan McNabb - ESPN

Dan T.

Boxer Bernard Hopkins, a Philadelphia Eagles fan, has ripped Donovan McNabb before. On Tuesday, he took his apparent disdain for the quarterback to another level.

Hopkins, in Philadelphia for his May 21 fight against Jean Pascal, invited reporters to watch him train Tuesday and decided to take additional verbal jabs at McNabb and even implied that the Washington Redskins quarterback wasn't black enough.

"Forget this," Hopkins said, according to the Philadelphia Daily News, and pointed to his own skin. "He's got a suntan. That's all."

According to Hopkins, McNabb had a privileged upbringing in Chicago and isn't as tough as himself, current Eagles quarterback Michael Vick or Cincinnati Bengals receiver Terrell Owens, who famously had a falling out with McNabb before being released by Philadelphia in 2006. Hopkins said Tuesday that McNabb and Owens essentially didn't speak the same language.

"T.O. got [into] the boardroom and saw the way they talked to McNabb. Coming from where he [came from] -- that's strange to some white people, when a black man speaks," Hopkins said, according to the Daily News. He said Owens "[wasn't] used to this language. [He's] used to speaking up.' "

Hopkins said that is why McNabb felt a sense of betrayal when he was traded by the Eagles to the Redskins before last season.

Why do you think McNabb felt he was betrayed? Because McNabb is the guy in the house, while everybody else is on the field. He's the one who got the extra coat. The extra servings. 'You're our boy,' " Hopkins said, according to the Daily News, and patted a member of the media on the back to illustrate his point. "He thought he was one of them."

Article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6526881&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

:rolleyes:

Another race-related Donovan McNabb issue.

Sounds a lot like the Fab 5 documentary, with them calling black Duke players "uncle toms"

Since when does "being black" mean you have to come from an underprivileged, poor, or ghetto neighborhood?

---------- Post added May-11th-2011 at 02:03 PM ----------

I'm not a McNabb fan, but this is just so beyond the pale it's sickening.

McNabb has had to put up with so much racial bs over the years.

And no one's going to even come anywhere near the vitriol that was spewed toward Rush Limbaugh when he brought up McNabb and race. No one's going to call him out on it.

B-Hop is right, he and Donovan aren't equal (pointing to his skin). McNabb as never been to jail, still has all of his teeth, speaks without needing subtitles on the screen and McNabb was from a healthy upbringing. Guys like (B-Hop) make me sick. They act as if McNabb get's lighter in the mirror because he is intelligent and came from a house hold with the ideal set-up. I'm from the hood. I had two parents in my house and acquired multiple degrees. I guess I'm not black enough for B-Hop either. He should just stick to boxing. And the Philly newspaper shouldn't even have printed that mess.

B-Hop talks as though he had a hard-line into those meetings where T.O saw the team speak to Donovan condescendingly. What a stooge.

LOL, someone needs to tell this guy that people aren't to be judged on the darkness of their skin.

Even if there's some truth to this, its more a case of snobbery than race. House negro? In 2011? Good luck finding a plantation thats not largely mechanized. I do believe your terminology is outdated, Bernard.

It takes a pretty crazy insult for me to defend McNabb. I'm almost impressed, in a distrubing way.

B-Hop is right, he and Donovan aren't equal (pointing to his skin). McNabb as never been to jail, still has all of his teeth, speaks without needing subtitles on the screen and McNabb was from a healthy upbringing. Guys like (B-Hop) make me sick. They act as if McNabb get's lighter in the mirror because he is intelligent and came from a house hold with the ideal set-up. I'm from the hood. I had two parents in my house and acquired multiple degrees. I guess I'm not black enough for B-Hop either. He should just stick to boxing. And the Philly newspaper shouldn't even have printed that mess.

B-Hop talks as though he had a hard-line into those meetings where T.O saw the team speak to Donovan condescendingly. What a stooge.

Thank you.

No need for folks like B-Hop to denigrate McNabb for making a success of himself. It's a self-destructive narrative within some aspects of the black community that I find very troubling.

The glorification of the dimwitted, ignorant, inarticulate and violent among the working class is something that is beyond me.

What's worse is that it cloaks itself in important themes like social justice, and conscientious rebellion but in reality is no more than cowardice and fear.

It creates a massive self perpetuating inferiority complex which is an anchor against true progress and a wall between the rest of society which cares less and less to the detriment of the vast majority of good honest people.

Archived