Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Georgetown Hoyas Basketball Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Ticky-tack fouls both ways. Can't blame refs

I'd say you guys got a little more. Particularly that, "foul" on Keita that allowed you to take the lead in regulation. The only one that was possibly questionable for you guys was the foul on Porter by Fair that let Porter tie it. He bodied him though. Whatever good game. I'm ****ing mad though.

I might agree with Warhead here. I think that was one ****** off bunch of Hoyas walking off the court on MSG last night.

They are a focused group at the moment.

Watch though, I say that and Porter will have a 3-17 in the second round and they will catch the wrong matchup and lose.

Should JT3's job be in jeopardy? He can't get his team up for the tournament. I knew this was coming, read the last page.

Hoyas missed SO MANY SHOTS. Easy ones in the first half when we could've built the lead. Allowed Gulf Coast to build the lead. Just horrible.

We can talk about next year in a bit I am just stunned.

Why? Do you remember the days before JT3?

JT3 is at least taking his teams to the tournament. I Grew up watching the Esterisk teams. They never made the tournament. Well...they did, but once. They were always NIT bound. JT3 changed the culture and made GTown relevant

I mean I'm mad too and I'm on the verge of tears cause I've been following Gtown since 2003 but he is a good coach. That's undeniable. At least in the regular season. I mean, they beat Syracuse twice. Once by limiting them to 39 pts. They're good. They just had a bad night.

If it happens more, fine...but it's just bad luck :(

Yeah I feel you ixcuincle. Just looking for answers. It confounds me how we consistently can't get motivated for the tournament. JTIII recruits well and we have good regular seasons. But man....how can this happen?

Otto Porter was invisible. Everyone was off. Missed layups. Pathetic pathetic pathetic.

By the way congrats to Gulf Coast because they attacked all night and deserved the win.

Edited by abdcskins

I don't know the history of Hoyas basketball as well as others, but JT III doesn't seem to have "it" in terms of post season success. One time could be an anomaly if you're a higher ranking seed...but this guy is repetitively failing when he shouldn't. I always thought he was overrated...but not bad...I'm beginning to think he gets by on name more then merit. I could be very wrong on this though...

I don't think there is an answer really. I do not think JT3 needs to go. But he needs to game plan and motivate his teams better. He can coach all he wants and win games in the regular season. But we don't win the Big East tournament and we don't do well in the NCAA tournament. Those are the benchmarks as far as I'm concerned.

Otto Porter is gone as far as I'm concerned. I want him back, just don't think he will. Everyone needs to get stronger, both mentally and physically in the offseason, and come back angry. Domingo needs to get ready to play. Hopkins bulk up and develop a post game. Starks and Lubick need to show senior leadership. Trawick and Rivera do work. That's it no more excuses.

It isn't bad luck. The problem lies in the Hoyas style of play. It's like how Marty's teams always lose in the NFL playoffs. When you play a conservative, defense style game, you're more vulnerable to lose. All it takes is the opponent rattling a bunch of baskets in a row and all of a sudden you get shell shocked. Georgetown's inability to score is what cost them. Everyone says defense wins championships, but that's a myth. You gotta be able to score points, at least early on, because all it takes is one hot shooting mid major team to knock you out.

It isn't bad luck. The problem lies in the Hoyas style of play. It's like how Marty's teams always lose in the NFL playoffs. When you play a conservative, defense style game, you're more vulnerable to lose. All it takes is the opponent rattling a bunch of baskets in a row and all of a sudden you get shell shocked. Georgetown's inability to score is what cost them. Everyone says defense wins championships, but that's a myth. You gotta be able to score points, at least early on, because all it takes is one hot shooting mid major team to knock you out.

Bingo! Kenny and Charles said it yesterday. When you shoot 10 times against an inferior team, you will make 6 or 7 while the inferior team does too. But if you jack up 100 shots, your athleticism will put win in the long run

That actually makes more sense then some magic juju curse. Getting to the tournament is hard enough to be doing it multiple years in a row. Obviously the Hoyas need to change something because whatever it is they're doing, it simply is not working in March at all. JC...

The defensive style works in Big East play because, over the long run, you'll win more often than not, and the Big East is all about tough, physical play. But you'll notice, all the Big East teams have sucked so far in the tourney except for Syracuse, and they're in their own world because of their 2-3 zone being a nightmare for inferior teams(hell even good teams struggle with it). The only other BE team that won was Marquette and they got incredibly lucky.

• 1 month later...

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/09/georgetown-lands-commitment-from-local-pg-tre-campbell/

Georgetown lands commitment from local PG Tre Campbell

Georgetown added another quality piece to their 2014 recruiting class, as Tre Campbell, a DC native and product of St. John’s College High School in Maryland, committed to the program.

“I have always wanted to go to Georgetown,” Campbell told Scout.com’s Brian Snow. “When they offered me I was really excited. I didn’t want to commit on the spot when they offered me last week, and I went back up there today and committed after I toured the campus.”

“It is close to home and I have always liked Georgetown. I have a good relationship with the coaches and it is a good fit.”

Campbell was considered a mid-major prospect for a long time, but after putting together a good junior season in the loaded DC private school leagues, Campbell played well enough to see the high-major offers come pouring in. Campbell, who is currently ranked 121st in the class according to Rivals, decided that his hometown school was the offer he needed to accept.

This isn’t the first time that John Thompson III has mined his backyard for a talented scoring point guard. Chris Wright, who starred in the Hoyas back court for four years, went to St. John’s.

Campbell becomes the second member of Georgetown’s recruiting class, alongside top 50 forward Isaac Copeland.

• 1 month later...

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/02/four-star-small-forward-l-j-peak-commits-to-georgetown/

Four-star forward L.J. Peak commits to Georgetown

On Tuesday, John Thompson III and the Georgetown Hoyas landed a commitment from four-star small forward L.J. Peak (Gaffney High/Gaffney, S.C.).

The 6-foot-5 Peak picked the Hoyas over offers from Florida State and his home state of South Carolina.

“Georgetown is a school that will help me get to the league. It’s a better fit for me,” Peak told reporters.

The Hoyas add another wing, who provides Thompson with a great athlete and scoring option when he reaches the nation’s capital in the fall of 2014. Peak joins point guard Tre Campbell (St. John’s College High/Washington, D.C.) and forward Isaac Copeland (Brewster Academy/Raleigh, N.C.) as current members of the Hoyas Class of 2014.

• 2 months later...

http://www.casualhoya.com/2013/9/15/4732838/class-of-2014-forward-paul-white-commits-to-georgetown  

Class of 2014 Forward Paul White Commits to Georgetown

Class of 2014 four star forward Paul White has committed to Georgetown.  White took an official visit to Georgetown this weekend and announced his commitment this morning.  Per the Chicago Sun-Times:

"While on my visit here it made me realize this is the place for me," says White of his commitment to Georgetown. "I felt that comfort level I was looking for with the coaching staff, the players and the environment here. It's a wonderful school with a great basketball tradition and atmosphere. This was the place I could easily see myself going to school and playing."

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

• 1 month later...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/recruiting-insider/wp/2013/10/26/paul-vi-junior-marcus-derrickson-commits-to-georgetown-basketball/

Paul VI junior Marcus Derrickson commits to Georgetown basketball

As Georgetown‘s bus made its way to a scrimmage against Virginia on Saturday, Hoyas Coach John Thompson III got a phone call from a familiar number. Team rules dictate that players and coaches aren’t allowed to use their phones during bus trips prior to games, but with Thompson III expecting good news regarding the basketball program’s future, the 10th-year coach made an exception.

On the other end was Paul VI junior Marcus Derrickson, who made Thompson III’s slight infraction well worth it by orally committing to the Hoyas. Derrickson’s is Georgetown’s first commitment from the 2015 class and comes a night after the highly touted forward attended the school’s Midnight Madness to kick off the upcoming basketball season.

“Coach Thompson was really happy and he said he wanted to shout but he couldn’t because of the rules on the bus,” Derrickson said with a laugh during a Saturday phone interview. “Georgetown is just a great all-around school, from the academics to the basketball. I was always kind of leaning toward there and just talking with the guys and being there Friday, I knew I wanted to be a Hoya.”

Ranked as the No. 56 overall recruit by ESPN in the 2015 class, Derrickson also held offers from Maryland, Indiana, Miami, N.C. State, Rutgers, Virginia and Villanova, among others.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH