Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

michigan messenger: Foster children clothing only from second hand stores

Thiebear

No, my original post suggests that the 'foster children' uniforms be either paid for or subsidized, in lieu of gift cards. Somewhat like school lunch is in some states.

Ah... missed that part.

twa,

That's why I don't mind the idea of specific stipends. It might reduce some fraud. On the other hand, it might also point out to what gbear says when he points out in his experience his expenditures far outstripped the allowances he was given. However, I do think within that some level of choice is fair. Do you think Medicare should be able to dictate what nursing home your grandmother goes to or which doctor she receives care from? I don't. I don't mind Medicare saying I'll only give you this much and the rest is on your head or even I won't pay for that, but I do think beyond that some individual discretion is preferable.

This is so offensive to my sensibilities that I could vomit. Some people in this world completely miss the point of what it means to have compassion. These are the most unwanted, neglected, abused kids in America, and we are willing to begrudge them probably the one thing that they could have to call their own. Shame....

polywog,

That sentiment is why my wife and I were buying clothes for the girl who later became our daughter. We thought she should have somthing with HER name on it.

The thing is though, this nature of being "hers" isn't defined until outsiders give that definition. To this day, my daughter will still offer her stuff to make a kid stop crying. It's a point of pride for her when her stuff makes another smile. We've tried to put the "my stuff" as a very limited number of things for our kids and us. It's ours, and to some extent I think it's being ingrained as a family value to have our stuff helping each other or outsiders is a legit reason to have stuff (not the only because we all have stuff WE enjoy). For being a nonreligous couple, my wife and I have been blessed even if it doesn't feel that way at 3:30 am, 4:30, and 5:15, with a wakeup at 7:30. I keep telling my wife I am one of the luckiest people on earth....but maybe that is because I sleep through most of it.

With the govts money?

Really need numbers and facts to have a decent idea of the value or waste

Actually, no, we don't. (That's "we" as in "near as I can tell, everybody but you".)

I'll make it simple for you. As I see it, there are two possible scenarios here. Please let us know which of these scenarios you support:

1) The government forbids foster parents from buying new clothes with their clothing allowance, and saves the government nothing.

2) The government forbids foster parents from buying new clothes with their clothing allowance, and gives them less money, too.

polywog,

That sentiment is why my wife and I were buying clothes for the girl who later became our daughter. We thought she should have somthing with HER name on it.

The thing is though, this nature of being "hers" isn't defined until outsiders give that definition. To this day, my daughter will still offer her stuff to make a kid stop crying. It's a point of pride for her when her stuff makes another smile. We've tried to put the "my stuff" as a very limited number of things for our kids and us. It's ours, and to some extent I think it's being ingrained as a family value to have our stuff helping each other or outsiders is a legit reason to have stuff (not the only because we all have stuff WE enjoy). For being a nonreligous couple, my wife and I have been blessed even if it doesn't feel that way at 3:30 am, 4:30, and 5:15, with a wakeup at 7:30. I keep telling my wife I am one of the luckiest people on earth....but maybe that is because I sleep through most of it.

:)

When it's used clothing only, that's a pretty ****ty message to send these kids who are most likely at-risk to begin with. I wouldn't call it mental abuse, but the message is unmistakable. You are not worth it, even season-end 80% off is for your betters.

agree completely here... my kids get MOST of their clothes from second shops (or secondhand from cousins) but grandstanding it into an exclusive policy quite simply smacks of Oliver Twist...

sZrgxHvNNUc

I'd love to be able to spend $80 a month on clothes. Am I too old to get in on this? :)

Oh well if you are a growing child you are going to use that money

Clothes for church, school play.

Summer Spring Fall and Winter

Shoes for indoor activities and outdoors and winter.

After watching my mother and sister try to spend as little as possible for my nephew for boots and watching him go through two pairs having him come in with wet feet I went out and got him Blundstones, yes they cost but this will not leak.

You pay for quality.

This thread is funny, especially when certain folks got shot down by someone who knows what the deal is. Hell, predicto who I believe makes better than average income says he buys his kids clothes from goodwill. Oh we don't want them to feel like second class citizens, but yet it is ok for parents who HAVE To go to goodwill to buy clothes there and its ok for parents who choose to go to goodwill to buy clothes there. Some of ya'll got some real good ideas of how to spend other people's money. Hey, since they already have low self esteem, let's get them 5 pairs of airforce 1's, 10 pairs of 100$ jeans and 10 100$ ed hardy shirts so they can feel better about themselves. Its obvious from gbears post that these kids enjoy getting stuff period and they don't care about it being hand me downs or from a second hand store. Maybe some of ya'll really need to read about what gbear said and might understand what these kids really want....here's a hint...it ain't clothes.

This thread is funny, especially when certain folks got shot down by someone who knows what the deal is. Hell, predicto who I believe makes better than average income says he buys his kids clothes from goodwill. Oh we don't want them to feel like second class citizens, but yet it is ok for parents who HAVE To go to goodwill to buy clothes there and its ok for parents who choose to go to goodwill to buy clothes there. Some of ya'll got some real good ideas of how to spend other people's money. Hey, since they already have low self esteem, let's get them 5 pairs of airforce 1's, 10 pairs of 100$ jeans and 10 100$ ed hardy shirts so they can feel better about themselves. Its obvious from gbears post that these kids enjoy getting stuff period and they don't care about it being hand me downs or from a second hand store. Maybe some of ya'll really need to read about what gbear said and might understand what these kids really want....here's a hint...it ain't clothes.

As long as we are okay with the government dictating to everyone who recieves money from them what they can do with that money I am okay with it

What you seem to ignore is people choose to shop there which is different that the government handing out cards specific stores

I've nothing against second hand shops... I just don't like the mandatory part. I'd be happier with a 100 dollar coupon, giftcard, or whatever where if the foster parents chose to use it at a thrift shop that would be fine, but if they preferred JC Penny that would be okay too. It's the message more than the means.

Oh, I think making this mandatory is ****ing absurd and cruel. I was just saying that I love the Goodwill and had just made some awesome finds.

Then we're on the same page. That's my only qualm with this. If the good gentleman from Michigan stated that this was a good strategy and could help stretch the household buck for parents of foster kids I'd agree with him. Saying that he wanted to limit them only to this outlet sends a bad message.

Archived