Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DCDribble: Lorenzo Alexander claims over 30 skins at Player-Run Minicamp today!

mjpanzer

I don't think Grossman's character or leadership was ever in question, just his decision-making. If he truly does know this offense (and the games he played in last year lend themselves to this conclusion) and has improved his decision making, then we could do a lot worse than having him be a bridge to whichever young QB we pick up in the draft this year.

My biggest concern about Grossman is his inability to feel pressure and avoid the pass rush which leads to turnovers. I think he runs the offense better than McNabb but lacks the natural ability avoid the pass rush.

BTW...I'm glad to hear there is good participation in player-run mini-camp.

Linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said approximately 30 players attended the workout at a local high school – around 20 on offense and 10 on defense. Coaches are not allowed to attend.

The quarterbacks? John Beck and Rex Grossman, who is a free agent. Albert Haynesworth did not attend.

Linebacker London Fletcher organized the event and took charge of the approximate 70-minute workout. They ran through some drills and then did seven-on-seven work. Alexander said they’re hoping more of the defensive backs show up Wednesday to make the seven-on-seven more effective.“It felt like a workout,” Armstrong said. “My legs are tired after it. It’s a little competition because it’s offense vs. defense and you want to find a way to beat those guys regardless of the situation.”

Alexander said the session wasn’t about gauging who is, or isn’t, in shape.

“Most guys were in shape but we didn’t do enough to really tell if guys have been working out or not,” he said. “Most said they’re doing their own thing. But it’s not about that. We’re not trying to patrol anybody, but if anybody had looked horrible we probably would say something. It was more to get together as a team and having the experience and working on our craft.”

Everybody giving props to Grossman when (I just knew) Fletcher would be behind all this. Disappointed more D guys did not show. But Grossman gets props for showing up and, I'm sure, leading the offense. gutsy to show up when he has no contract. But then he probably has little prospects for a starting job anywere but in DC. Credit for being there for the team but he was also looking out for himself; not criticizing...just pointing it out.

Here's a list of those players who attended according to NBC4 and Rich Tandler:

London Fletcher

Chris Cooley

Anthony Armstrong

Brian Orakpo

Keiland Williams

Rex Grossman

John Beck

Terrance Austin

Darrel Young

Mike Sellers

Casey Rabach

Lorenzo Alexander

Roydell Williams

Kedric Golston

Will Montgomery

Selvish Capers

Jeremy Jarmon

Rocky McIntosh

Logan Paulsen

Kevin Barnes

Maake Kemoeatu

Fred Davis

Phillip Daniels

Brandon Banks

Anderson Russell

Andre Brown

Good to see London Fletcher stepping up and acting like a leader for once in his life.

For real though, I hope someone like Orakpo or Landry is capable of filling the leadership role when he finally decides to hang it up because he brings so much more to this team than just another player.

Thanks for posting that S&S...not too many surprises there. Most of our character guys were present. I'm glad to see Austin there...I really hope he steps it up this year.

I'm not surprised, dude was known as a hard worker throughout college. But yes, I'm also hoping he really steps it up and gets a bigger role in our offense next season.

Very excited to Sexy Rexy there. People hate on him so bad for no reason. Who cares if he throws 6 picks a game........he looks good throwing bombs up. Their is nobody in the draft QB wise worth going after unless available in later rounds. Our first pick has to be a given starter, and QB is a position we can hold off on until next year. The dude knows the Shanny system and proved it the end of the season last year.

We've come to expect Fletcher's leadership and motivation, but this is great stuff too:

Second-year wide receiver Terrence Austin paid for a flight out of pocket from California in order to be with his teammates.

“We all just want to get it right,” he told us. “We have goals and aspirations for the season. Nobody’s happy about how last year ended. We wanted to get out here as early as possible and start to build ourselves into a team that can win.”

We've come to expect Fletcher's leadership and motivation, but this is great stuff too:

Thats good stuff, have hoped for big things for TA since we drafted him last year. Good to see people who just care, he def wants to make it. In other news Jamarcus Russells life coaches have given up on him becasue he doesn't care, and wont make an effort to make it...........watta loser.

This kind of thing just makes me really happy to read. For once, the Redskins are actually doing something much better than other teams (especially the Cowgirls).

Well, according to the records, the Skins played football just as well as the Cowgirls last year. So don't have that inferiority complex with them. :evil:

Gawd McNabb is lazy, he's been around Ashburn all offseason but didn't get his fat butt out to the minicamp?

He knows he's not going to be here, and has a strained relationship with the team. I'm sure he's working out on his own.

Here's a list of those players who attended according to NBC4 and Rich Tandler:

Glad to see my homeboy Baby Banks (still trying to get that nickname to STICK because it's fun as hell to scream at games) is fully recovered and back on the field.

I hope someone like Orakpo or Landry is capable of filling the leadership role when he finally decides to hang it up because he brings so much more to this team than just another player.

I think the torch will be passed on to Orakpo just because he has been a highly-respected dude from the second he joined our team. He seems like a team-first guy who demands respect based on his appearance/booming voice alone. As he becomes more successful as a football player, this team will slowly become his in my opinion... One of the few young players on our team that I could see retiring a Redskin. Love me some Rak.

Archived