Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DCDribble: Lorenzo Alexander claims over 30 skins at Player-Run Minicamp today!

mjpanzer

Lorenzo Alexander tweeted my blog (@dcdribble) about the Player-Run minicamp info today, and it looks like 30 skins from around the country flew in for it!

I think this is a great sign of the leadership we have on our team, that players are willing to work out and get together during the lockout.

My blog is new so if you have some time it would be great if you could leave a comment!

HTTR

Dc Dribble

Yup, we were just discussing this in the draft thread. Beck and Grossman led it. Which is interesting because Grossman does not have a contract. An impressive display of self-sacrifice for the team, and a great person to have there. He knows the offense better than anyone else, except Kyle of course.

Edit: You need a new sig, man. Especially if you're going to advertise a blog there ;)

First of all...that's great to hear and I have even more respect for those two QBs now. Neither one of them struck me as the type of leader who could rally the troops. On the other hand though, 30 players isn't exactly incredible. Don't get me wrong...it's better than nothing and it's great for those 30 guys who are taking their jobs seriously. But isn't that less than half the team?

Yeah, i just can't seem to get excited for any news like this. LOL, if I was a player i probably wouldn't have gone. This lockout has me kind of depressed.

I think it would be more depressing to read that the players collectively said "eff it, I ain't going a dag'on place, we locked out. I'm gettin' ready for this party tonight". :ols:

First of all...that's great to hear and I have even more respect for those two QBs now. Neither one of them struck me as the type of leader who could rally the troops. On the other hand though, 30 players isn't exactly incredible. Don't get me wrong...it's better than nothing and it's great for those 30 guys who are taking their jobs seriously. But isn't that less than half the team?

Yea, they have about 72 listed

Anyone know if LL was there?

He probably said he'd be there, and just forgot to show up. ;)

Seriously though, most of the other stories you read are teams having 5-7 guys working out. I haven't seen a number as high as 30 all offseason for any team. I'm proud of our guys, and you have to imagine a lot of the other 50 or so players that haven't shown up are doing so because their agents are telling them not to. Guys looking for new contracts (Rogers, McIntosh, etc) most likely had their reasons for not showing up. Rex is probably an anomaly if anything.

.... Don't get me wrong...it's better than nothing and it's great for those 30 guys who are taking their jobs seriously. But isn't that less than half the team?

My silver lining is that those of the 30 that made it are the ones who we need to contribute to the team next season. While the others who missed are just marginal players....Hopefully this is the case.

I think a lot of players around the league are waiting to see how this round of court-ordered mediation goes before they begin organizing or participating in player-run workouts, considering we're just not coming up on the time of year when OTA's start.

I mean there are plenty of players on every roster who will find it difficult to simultaneously stay in shape, keep up an income, and pay to fly or take time off for player-run workouts. 30's a pretty good number right now IMO. Check out this great ESPN article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6388708

In Dallas Romo sits to pee's just now calling up teammates about organizing something NEXT month:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=6385097

Meanwhile we got the un-signed Grossman and 2nd-string Beck already getting guys together.

Sorry guys...I didn't mean that to sound as negative as it did. I realize there are external pressures not to participate and things like that. I am very happy that a) someone is even taking the initiative to organize this and B) roughly half the team is participating. I guess I'm just stuck in the 1982 mindset when it sounded like most of the team showed up for little practices. It was a different time though...

I think a lot of players around the league are waiting to see how this round of court-ordered mediation goes before they begin organizing or participating in player-run workouts, considering we're just not coming up on the time of year when OTA's start.

I mean there are plenty of players on every roster who will find it difficult to simultaneously stay in shape, keep up an income, and pay to fly or take time off for player-run workouts. 30's a pretty good number right now IMO. Check out this great ESPN article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6388708

In Dallas Romo sits to pee's just now calling up teammates about organizing something NEXT month:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=6385097

Meanwhile we got the un-signed Grossman and 2nd-string Beck already getting guys together.

Man, excellent stuff. This team has a rich history of staying together and well-prepared through work-stoppages, and it looks like that tradition seems to be continuing.

I LOVE that the Cowgirls aren't even considering getting together for another month...the un-signed Grossman, risking his career to lead some workouts, compared to Romo sits to pee. Great story.

That strikes me as a really big number when you consider:

A. Plenty of guys listed on our "Roster" don't actually have contracts for the upcoming season (or in the case of McNabb/Haynseworth it's assumed they won't be back),

B. As has been mentioned, there are probably lots of agents telling people to just work out on their own, and

C. For the practice squad/league minimum contract guys, they can't necessarily afford to just jet in from out of town and do this. Who knows what types of obligations they have. They may even have picked up some random odd jobs.

Man, excellent stuff. This team has a rich history of staying together and well-prepared through work-stoppages, and it looks like that tradition seems to be continuing.

I LOVE that the Cowgirls aren't even considering getting together for another month...the un-signed Grossman, risking his career to lead some workouts, compared to Romo sits to pee. Great story.

Grossman probably sees this as an opportunity to make a case to retain him-- showing leadership and work ethic. Even if we don't re-sign him (which I think we should, regardless of what we do in the draft) it'll look good to other teams looking at him.

I am highly impressed that Sexy Rexy was there. I definitely want the Skins to sign him now because him showing up without a contract speaks volumes for his character and leadership.

Agreed. Props to all the players but Sexy was probably the most important player to show up for the offense. He knows the plays and routes and is probably doing a fair amount of coaching/guiding.

There is no question in my mind that Shanahan will find a way to know the names of every player that showed and, perhaps more importantly, the names of the ones that didn't.

Rex helped himself and us. Good show.

I am highly impressed that Sexy Rexy was there. I definitely want the Skins to sign him now because him showing up without a contract speaks volumes for his character and leadership.
Grossman probably sees this as an opportunity to make a case to retain him-- showing leadership and work ethic. Even if we don't re-sign him (which I think we should, regardless of what we do in the draft) it'll look good to other teams looking at him.

I don't think Grossman's character or leadership was ever in question, just his decision-making. If he truly does know this offense (and the games he played in last year lend themselves to this conclusion) and has improved his decision making, then we could do a lot worse than having him be a bridge to whichever young QB we pick up in the draft this year.

Archived