Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Battlefield 3. Looks amazing.

Destino

Is it going to be different from COD? I'm guessing no. Looks just as scripted.

*sigh* COD is going to end FPS for several years ...

Battlefield has always been about multiplayer modes. I remember 1942 didn't even have a single player to speak of, it was basically multiplayer where everyone else was computer controlled. The key differences is that while COD does the soldier v soldier well its an old design. BF has superior vehicle integration, lower foot speed v larger maps for a more strategic gameplay, and of course destroyable environments. A wooden won't save you from a shooter. A building can't save you from a tank. You can literally collapse a building if the enemy team can't stop you from shelling it.

It feels great to see that building come down when you know there are 5 enemies "hiding" in it. Plus when you're flanking and you use c4 to make your own "entrance" through a wall... it makes for a great nice surprise.

That looks like it was recorded from a really high priced and powerful PC. Will the PS3 or 360 be able to pull of those graphics?

DirectX11 game vs a DX9 on the console, no way console will be able to keep up. Dice, the people who made BF:Bad Company 2 even admitted consoles were holding PC games back.

That said I'll be saving up for a new card so I can run this beast*.

*Hoping it'll be a beast and not a crappy port like some other games :\

Previews and commercials are nice but they haven't shown anything multiplayer or vehicular yet

Keep in mind that before BF3 and probably BFBC2 the single player mode was primarily a single player version of the multiplayer game with a bunch of bots. There was no CoD-like SP campaign plot. From what I've seen off the commercials and previews, the SP seems similar to what CoD has done.

The main bread and butter of the BF series has always been online play, and the guy hogging the tank / jet blowing opponents to smithereens. It is the part of the game which is the most important, IMO, and the part I want to see the most. I mean, the SP campaign looks good, don't get me wrong, but I want to see the damn multiplayer modes.

my wife and i saw the commercial during the game last night...we were both litereally jaw-dropped. we looked at each other after it went off like :bluesbros:

I didn't like battlefield 2, but I've got a ton of friends who did, so I'm going to force myself to get into Battlefield 3...

my wife and i saw the commercial during the game last night...we were both litereally jaw-dropped. we looked at each other after it went off like :bluesbros:

I didn't like battlefield 2, but I've got a ton of friends who did, so I'm going to force myself to get into Battlefield 3...

Shame, BF2 was a solid game. Still play it every now and then.

It's good fun as long as the teams are balanced. Different than CoD in that you roll around huge maps in cars or helicopters capturing flags.

This game is being billed as a COD killer and I can see why. COD better step up their game.

I recently gave up on Black Ops and have been playing BF Bad Company 2. Killer game. Love the vehicles and destructable enviroments. Also love the fact it's not just a run and gun type of game all about kills/deaths.

This game is being billed as a COD killer and I can see why. COD better step up their game.

I recently gave up on Black Ops and have been playing BF Bad Company 2. Killer game. Love the vehicles and destructable enviroments. Also love the fact it's not just a run and gun type of game all about kills/deaths.

That is funny, every war game for the last few years is the "COD killer"... COD4 and Modern Warfare still look and play better than anything out there. Not even close.

I had about 24 hours logged online on Bad Company 2. All my friends loved it, but for some reason it just didn't grow on me. The 12x scope snipers perched in trees halfway across the map really turned me off....

but I'm hoping Battlefield 3 will be a little different and hold my interest. i'll definitely get it the day it releases. :)

That is funny, every war game for the last few years is the "COD killer"... COD4 and Modern Warfare still look and play better than anything out there. Not even close.

Sure, if you like run and gun, smaller maps, and static environments.

I think COD will always be wildly popular. But... the BF franchise offers a legit alternative to those that are tired of the same old from COD, and I think with BF3 they have a real shot at stealing away some gamers.

COD doesn't look as good as BFBC2 IMO and the play is entirely different. COD tends to keep the action more to close quarters and favors twitch shooting style of play. This is "in general" not intended to describe every instance of game play. It's more of a traditional shooter. That's not what the Battlefield series has ever been.

Plus after experiencing environments that you can blow up I can't go back to the weaksauce of the past. You shouldn't be able to avoid a tank by standing in a house.

Sure, if you like run and gun, smaller maps, and static environments.

I think COD will always be wildly popular. But... the BF franchise offers a legit alternative to those that are tired of the same old from COD, and I think with BF3 they have a real shot at stealing away some gamers.

I agree with this 100%. I am a big fan of the COD series, but I have grown tired of it. This fall I am planning to get GOW3, Batman: Arkham City, and BF3. The new COD set to release in November isn't on my radar right now.

A co-worker of mine, and good friend's hubby works for EA and knows the developers on this game. I told him i'd be more than happy to do some testing for BETA and breaking of the game for them before its release. Still awaiting word but If I do, I will post my notes in detail. I am a die-hard FPS player and I was not fond of BFBC2 but Black Ops is still sick

COD doesn't look as good as BFBC2 IMO and the play is entirely different. COD tends to keep the action more to close quarters and favors twitch shooting style of play. This is "in general" not intended to describe every instance of game play. It's more of a traditional shooter. That's not what the Battlefield series has ever been.

Plus after experiencing environments that you can blow up I can't go back to the weaksauce of the past. You shouldn't be able to avoid a tank by standing in a house.

Nothing beats blowing up a building with a few campers in it.

---------- Post added April-19th-2011 at 12:46 PM ----------

I agree with this 100%. I am a big fan of the COD series, but I have grown tired of it. This fall I am planning to get GOW3, Batman: Arkham City, and BF3. The new COD set to release in November isn't on my radar right now.

I'll be interested to see the next Modern Warfare and how it's impacted good or bad by the Infinity Ward shakeup. I'm sure I'll buy the next COD but BF3 is definitely the one I'm really looking forward to.

I'll believe it when I see it. So far every "COD Killer" that came out has fell flat on it's face. It will be no different with BF3 as well minus the falling flat on it's face. BF is definitely a really popular game, change of pace, vehicular manslaughter, fun type of game. But it's no COD and never will be.

Archived