Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 NFL Draft: What would YOU do?

tkatz

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The 2011 NFL draft is nearly upon us, and I was interested to hear what my fellow Skins fanatics felt was the best course of action for the team. With glaring needs across the board and lack of picks to fill them, the first two rounds are critical to the Redskins future.

What do you think the Redskins should do?

Draft a pass-rusher to compliment Brian Orakapo?

Trade down to acquire more picks?

Solidify the offensive line?

Well, I'd want to trade down and take Andy Dalton in the first. Might he be available at 41 in the second round? Maybe, but it's not a guarantee. And since he would be "my guy" as they say, I'd reach and take him. This is of course assuming I could trade down.

If I couldn't trade down, I'd be hoping Robert Quinn fell to me at 10. If not, I wouldn't be too upset with Julio Jones. If both of them are gone? Frustration.

If trading down wasn't an option and I had the choice of Quinn, Jones, & Smith; I'm taking Quinn every time. We need another pass rusher on defense to help Orakpo, and we can find a quality receiver in the 2nd round and we'll either re-sign Brown or go after Harris in FA.

I would like to see us trade down and pick up the Pouncey kid for our interior line. Then we would have some options, assuming we get a 2nd or very early 3rd rd. pick to boot. I'd like to pull a CB and an OLB out of our 2nd rounder and whatever our additional pick would be. Dare I say it, this would lock us into keeping McNabb, but I think it would put us on the road to being a much better football team.

The weakest link on the entire team is currently at center. Trading away our number 10 for a number 18 would allow the Skins a chance at Pouncey and give us a chance at another OL pick. It also takes this pick away form the Gints, who are rumored to want him.

Replace the weakest link AND hurt the Gints? Win-Wiin.

Trade down. Not necessarily because I want the team to have more picks. Rather, I think the 'Skins should be gunning for Phil Taylor and it looks like no one else besides the Chiefs and the Jets have any first-round interest in him. It would be stupid to waste the number 10 pick on someone that you could easily get later in the first round.

You know everybody says McNabb is gone, but I really can't see us releasing him IF we can't draft a QB that we want. I certainly think we will try to our damndest to trade him, I hope we succeed, but if we can't then you might as well suit him up. How much money do we eat if we cut him? Not a sound business decision in my opinion.

You know everybody says McNabb is gone, but I really can't see us releasing him IF we can't draft a QB that we want. I certainly think we will try to our damndest to trade him, I hope we succeed, but if we can't then you might as well suit him up. How much money do we eat if we cut him? Not a sound business decision in my opinion.

We dont owe him a penny if we cut him as his deal has no more guaranteed money. The cap hit if we trade him or release him is small as well so there are no financial reasons to keep him,. What he was paid last year and that second round pick are sunk costs so will not factor into the decision. Keeping him or cutting/trading him will be a football decision.

It's pretty clear Kyle does not think he is a fit for our offense and there seems no trust either way in that relationship. Shanny told McNabb at the end of last year we would be ' exploring our options" at QB and would not guarantee McNabb would be back, he has a $10M option bonus at the start of the season if we keep him and Rex Grossman looked better than McNabb in many respects when he ran the offense at the end of the year.

Add in McNabbs thin skin and passive aggressive reaction to anything which questions his position as starting QB and team leader.

Nothing is impossible but its long, long odds that McNabb is on our roster on opening day (whenever that is).

If the CBA gets done reasonably quickly then there is a decent chance we can get a conditional 2012 pick for him. If the CBA lingers and there is a limited preseason then we will almost certainly just cut him.

Robert Quinn. UNC BABY

---------- Post added April-16th-2011 at 11:57 PM ----------

I don't know why it's so hard for some to understand: No, you don't just 'suit him up' just because. That would effectively stop the progression of the offense; it would be pointless. And it would be too expensive. It would be one of the dumbest things any NFL team had ever done. It's been made very clear that he is not the future of this franchise. If you're going to 'suit him up' just because he's here, then you might as well not play any offense at all, and screw the whole year altogether.

Unlike the very impatient fans of the Washington Redskins, the coaches are thinking more long term, and need to be making progress every Sunday. They're not using an 'oh what the hell, suit him up' attitude, and therefore he will not be here this year...imo

edit- And by 'too expensive', I mean, by him being on the roster you are paying him quite a bit. With him not being there, you're not paying him anything. So don't think of it as 'eating' money. You're eating it by playing him because he's been noneffective. You make cap room by releasing him, which is really the opposite of eating money. It's a good thing.

The reason it seems Donovan would be released, yet Albert would stay 'just because' is BECAUSE Donovan's contract was made with just such a stipulation that his release would not cost the Redskins very much money. It may be zero money, sry I don't remember exactly. Because Bruce made that contract, and Vinny made the one for Albert which effectively has us stuck with him. The cap hit for releasing Albert would be huge because his contract is huge.

Personally I would love to trade down, and draft Jake and then in the second pick up Stephen Paea and Torrey Smith. Now all that is in a perfect world and finding a true trade down partner is not always great. If the deal is right and we can good something better than average and by that I mean slightly above value then because of the many needs we have I would make the trade. Maybe Locker isn't what Shanny is looking for and nabbing a top OL or DL in the first later in the round is also another great option but if we have to stay at 10 then you have to grab the best available player regardless of needs. Other needs can be filled in FA and because FA will happen after the draft we will not have to reach or over pay potential FAs.

We have TOO many needs not to trade back if it's a possibility. The Rams, Pats, Chargers, etc. might be in play. It depends on who's in play at #10. We're in a good position at #10 but don't expect us to take a QB or RT there. If we can't trade back then IMO I think you can expect Quinn or Smith at 10 to complement Orakpo.

It all depends on who is available. If Julio Jones is still on the board by the tenth pick, we have to take him. With the 2nd round pick, I'd take either Andy Dalton or Christian Ponder. The Redskins already have a pass rushing LB in Robert Henson although some would say to draft either Kerrigan or Quinn.

Assuming the following:

1. Cam - Panthers

2. Patrick Peterson - Broncos

3. Von Miller - Bills

4. AJ Green - Bengals

5. Nick Fairley - Cards (sign Bulger)

6. Da'Quan Bowers - Browns

7. Prince Amukamara - 49er's (sign McNabb)

8. Marcell Dareus - Titans

9. Tyron Smith - Cowboys

10.Blaine Gabbert - Redskins: Trade with Dolphins at #15 for Gabbert and receive DE Kendall Langford and #79 overall 3rd round pick

11. Redskins trade with Texans for 2012 4th rounder and select Jake Locker (Vikings at #12 could very well take Jake at #12)

12. Cameron Jordan - Vikings

13. Aldon Smith - Lions already scary defense just got scarier

14. Julio Jones - Rams

15. Phil Taylor - Redskins

We acquire a 3rd round pick, Jake Locker, Phil Taylor and DE Kendall Langford.

I doubt my three favorite players will be on the board at ten (Gabbert, Green, Fairley).

I've also got some doubts that either Quinn or Jones will be available at 10.

Trading down is a nice solution but what if no one wants to trade up with us?

Tyron Smith is a good prospect who'd bring value to our organization in the first round but he's not my first choice at ten.

If we're caught in a situation like last year where we can't move back in the draft, hopefully we'd be able to choose from a tier of players including J.J. Watt, Prince Amukamara, and Aldon Smith.

I'm not sure what order I'd prefer them in as I seem to change my mind from week to week. Amukamara is the biggest talent but we've already got some corners; Smith has the highest upside and plays a desperately important position but the character might not be as clean as the other two; Watt has high upside too, plays a position of large need, and has terrific character.

Today I think I'd go with Watt, but my mind could change tomorrow.

Trade with the Patriots: Our 10th and 41st for their 17th, 33rd and 60th. This is an almost exact exchange of value on the trade value chart (our 1790 points for their 1800 points). Patriots may be very tempted to go after Quinn or Watt with the 10th pick. We reach for one of the QBs at 17 (Ponder or Locker, I imagine); Brooks Reed or Justin Houston at 33, and Baldwin or Hankerson at 60. I"m very sympathetic to the argument that we need interior line help, so I was tempted to say Rodney Hudson at 60, but there seems to be some good depth at the C/G position in this year's in the draft. For example, Jake Kirkpatrick might still be there in the 5th, and he'd be great. We should be able to fill the other position of most need, nose tackle, with the other 5th round pick. I expect that either Ian Williams or Chris Neild will be there.

Archived