Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 NFL Draft: What would YOU do?

tkatz

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

As I have been saying. We will trade back with NE and pick up the #17 and #28 picks and acquire Phil Taylor and Christian Ponder.

When you post this, you should say "As I have been saying we should do, we should" trade...

Otherwise you sound like a know-it-all, who couldn't possibly know for sure.

Just a question to those who are for Phil Taylor why him over say Stephen Paea? Not taking one particular side here, but at the same time Taylor has not proven himself outside of the senior bowl to be a dominant NT. I look at Paea and see someone who had great production and while not as big as Taylor has a great center of gravity and low base, who would come to us in the 2nd round range

No way do you reach for Pouncey at 10th overall. There will be somebody there that fits a need and is a better talent.

There's better C talent in this draft?

Anyway, I said trade down for pouncey or Taylor. I might as well reach for Taylor.

Honestly the 10 position right now is more of a nightmare than anything else. Hard to trade up, hard to trade down, and it's hard to get a clue of what will happen above. Sure you can predict what will happen with the 3 or 4 first picks, but from there anything can happen beyond that. Especially the Bengals pick. And reaching for Pouncey if he settles the C position for the next 7 or 8 years wouldn't be such a bad move in the end. Better talent elsewhere that fits a need elsewhere. Sure you can go Julio Jones if he's here, but with no line to give your QB some time throwing, Julio won't help much.

I really hope the Skins find a partner to trade down with.

makes the most sense with as many holes as this roster currently has.

if not a player to bolster either line would be the best pick at #10.

If Gabbert or Quinn is there then I want to stay at #10, but if both are off the board, then I'm looking to trade down as well

I really hope the Skins find a partner to trade down with.

makes the most sense with as many holes as this roster currently has.

if not a player to bolster either line would be the best pick at #10.

I one hundred percent agree.

My first goal would be to trade down so I'd have a midround first and two second rounders. My ideal trade partner would be NE and I'd want the first pick of the second round.

Ideally then I'd be able to deal that pick for a first rounder next season and a second rounder this season.

I'd use the 2011 first rounder on Pouncey or one of the drafts remaining top DL.

I'd use my two 2011 second round picks on defense.

And I would plan to package those two 2012 first round picks together next year to get the 1st overall pick and select Luck.

See. how simple was that?

AJ Green or Robert Quinn at #10.

If not, trade down. No one else is worth the #10 pick.

If no trade, take Phil Taylor, Stefan Wisniewski, or Rodney Hudson in second.

If trade, get Cameron Jordan, JJ Watt, Mike Pouncey, Justin Houston, or one of the RT prospects.

If Locker, Dalton, or McElroy are available for a value price, take them. Otherwise, no.

AJ Green or Robert Quinn at #10.

If not, trade down. No one else is worth the #10 pick.

If no trade, take Phil Taylor, Stefan Wisniewski, or Rodney Hudson in second.

If trade, get Cameron Jordan, JJ Watt, Mike Pouncey, Justin Houston, or one of the RT prospects.

If Locker, Dalton, or McElroy are available for a value price, take them. Otherwise, no.

If no one else is worth the 10th overall pick just who are you planning to trade with who would want to move up?

I think trading down in this draft to get more picks is extremely important. I have to agree with a recent Redskins Blog article where one fan's goal was to obtain as many picks as possible. His theory is to get as many picks as possible to draft the supporting cast first to build the foundation of the team and provide depth, then find the super stars in next year's draft. Definitely a great approach and interesting perspective to the draft.

I also like taking Ponder in the 2nd based on this stat alone from CBS Sports:

"Of his 45 third down pass completions, 41 have resulted in first downs or touchdowns … in the red zone, Ponder is 29 of 47 for 234 yards and 16 touchdowns with just one interception".

Injuries may be a concern for but that sure is an attractive stat line.

Posted this on another board. It's my 3-year plan. Little long, but I thought I'd share here too.

Thought about this last night. Here's what I'd do. Bear with me, I'll try not to be long-winded.

First of all, this is a 3-year plan. Hopefully, in the 3rd year, the Skins will be competing for a playoff spot but likely not before that. The idea is building a franchise that will sustain itself thru depth for years to come. Like the Patriots and Steelers, among others, do it. As we all know, this can't be accomplished in one year, so I'm trying to take a reasonable approach on bringing this franchise back to respectability.

This year's key off-season moves:

First, when free agency starts, I throw a boatload of money at Asomugha. The idea being, I want to make the secondary one of the best in the NFL and one that can play a lot of man coverage thus freeing up the front 7 to blitz every down with young players. Kinda like the 85 Bears who brought pressure on every play.

2011 Draft - If Julio Jones is available at 10, I take him. Ever since the days of the Posse, this position has been an area of weakness with this franchise. Skins have been looking for their next Art Monk to build around. Is Julio that? Probably not, but he can fly and he is a big WR who can be a red-zone target and can get you that 3rd and 6 over the middle. If he's not available, I first try to trade back and if someone offers a 1st next year, I jump at that. If that option fails, the best available defensive front 7 player (Quinn?) would be my choice.

I try hard to trade the 2nd round pick. There might be a better market for that pick than the 1st round pick as teams love guys with 1st round talent that slip to the 2nd. They're cheaper and better value. Happens every year. That Skins 2nd pick would be used to draft a top-level center that is gonna be anchoring the line for the next 10 years.

As you see, I've bypassed QB. I just don't think the Skins franchise QB for the next 10 years is in this draft. Next year's QB class will be much better than this one. Don't force a move at the position in the draft. In my 3-year plan, I ride with Rex or someone like him this year.

With the remaining 5 or so picks (if trades bring more) in this draft, I want a Darren Sproles type 3rd down speed back who can catch the ball (Devine?), possibly a backup QB to work with (Stanzi? Tyrod?) and 3 defensive front 7 guys, at least 2 of which are 3-4 LB's. Young, fast guys who want to attack. Following the Steelers plan here.

UDFA's - Load up on punters, kickers, and special teams coverage guys.

With whatever money remains in FA after Asomugha signing, get a guard and possibly a 2nd WR, not a star.

Next offseason, with a full complement of draft picks, I attack the remaining holes hard. 1st round pick will be for the franchise QB. If there is a trade in 2011 draft that nets an extra 1st rounder, package that pick to get up to #1 and get Luck. If not, there will still be great options at QB as Skins will likely be picking in top 10-15 again next year. In 2nd round, grab a OT or a stud DE/NT. In rounds 3-5, look for a #1 RB, ILB, CB. Use remaining picks for depth at OL/DL/LB.

At this point, free agency should also be used more for depth than for need of filling holes. Get young guys going for their 2nd contracts, not ones looking for their last contract.

By year 3, this team should be competing for playoffs berths and have enough depth to continue building for the future.

One last thing, I communicate this 3 year plan to STH's and fans. Don't sugarcoat it and say we're competing for the Super Bowl this year. We're not. Make expectations realistic. True fans like myself will be more likely to buy into this type of plan if it's done the right way and not a quick fix.

Now, fire away!

If I was the GM, I'd take Julio if he's there. If he's not, I try as hard as I can to get out of that pick. I like Quinn and several other guys at that spot, but there is so much talent in this draft on the defensive line, I would move back if any decent option presents itself. I think Brooks Reed out of Arizona would be a great selection if we're able to move back. With our 2nd pick, offensive line should be the choice. We need a center badly. I'm not a Rabach hater because he's a veteran guy who knows the scheme and is one of the smartest players on the team. That said, age has clearly caught up to him. He needs to be replaced. A starting center can be found in the 2nd round of this draft. Other players in the 2nd to consider would be guys like Hankerson, Ryan Williams, and maybe a corner prospect like Brandon Harris. We need talent at most positions, so I think it'd be hard to go wrong with our 2nd round pick. I, like some others in this thread, don't think a franchise QB is to be found for us in this draft. I think a later choice should be used on a QB. I think Tyrod and McElroy are very apt players who could develop and have great potential. With our later picks, it's BPA. We have so many holes. We could take pretty much any position besides TE and I'd be ok with it.

_____

On a separate note, how upset would you guys be if we traded completely out of the first? I feel like we need to find a starter or two in this draft. May be hard if we move too far back. Everyone hate that idea?

Posted this on another board. It's my 3-year plan. Little long, but I thought I'd share here too.

Thought about this last night. Here's what I'd do. Bear with me, I'll try not to be long-winded.

I share a similar stance on what we should do. This team isn't making a playoff run any time soon, we can take our time to get all the pieces together. We don't need to reach for a QB, and we don't need to trade for one either. Patience is a virtue.

still want to trade back but changing my pick to Colin Kaepernick instead of a linemen. Would like to swing a trade for New England's second 1st round pick, the 28th overall, and use it to take CK. be cool to get New England's top 2nd rounder, the 33rd overall, as part of the deal.

edit;

after watching more video on ck am no longer interested in drafting him. moving back to Phil Taylor, NT from Baylor.

Archived