Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kevin Kolb a Redskin... Why not?

Captain James

I like your thinking, but it wouldn't work with Beck, as in 3-4 years, he'll be in his early 30's.

Eh, my bad. From all the talk I heard about him, I thought he was a young guy. Now I don't know what to think about keeping him around, unless we are giving him a shot at the starting job next year.

I heard the 49ers and other NFL teams are interested in Kolb now. I agree that we should draft a quarterback. I just will have to get used to the fact that we will most likely not be competitive for 2011 season- if we have a season.

What's there to get used to? We haven't been really competitive in years. Some years, we've barely been competitive.

I really don't think Kolb is that great. Reid has won with tons of quarterbacks including Koy Detmer, AJ Feely, and Jeff Garcia. They have a good system in place for quarterbacks to be successful and they know it. I don't think Vick has a lot of years left and with his style of play they need a good backup. Knowing both of those things why would the Eagles be shopping him? There has to be a catch.

We already have a Kolb. His name is John Beck. Plus, Kyle traded for Beck. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I believe Beck was the third quarterback taken in the 2007 draft. Second round. We really don't know how high the Shanahan's are on Beck.

But, of course, talking about Beck isn't sexy.

You so sure about that?

1209-16209.gif

I think Beck is so under the radar with fans.

---------- Post added March-22nd-2011 at 08:07 PM ----------

You so sure about that?

1209-16209.gif

Beck is so under the radar with fans. Seems like an after thought to most. Yet, Kyle traded for him over Brennan.

---------- Post added March-22nd-2011 at 08:08 PM ----------

You so sure about that?

1209-16209.gif

Beck is so under the radar with fans. Seems like an after thought to most. Yet, Kyle traded for him over Brennan.

---------- Post added March-22nd-2011 at 08:08 PM ----------

Sorry about all the double posts.

dude.. John Beck will turn 30 before this season (if there is one) starts.

He's like 1 year younger than freaking Rex Grossman. He went on 4 year religous hiatus before going to BYU as a 22 year old freshman. He was drafted in 2007 already older than Kolb is now.

i am curious what use this guy is to anyone in the NFL, especially us wasting a roster spot on him.

Bobby Hoying and Ty Detmer but they sucked no matter who coached them

Typical Redskins fans reaction. They talk and talk about build a team like the Pats or colts or Ravens or Steelers or Packers through a strong draft but whenever a "name" is talked about the fans have to have them. Skins fans talk like they want to be like the Pats or Steelers but in reality would rather be the Florida marlins of the NFL.

I'm tired of this franchise going for other teams players. The Redskins need to draft, draft, draft. You draft a franchise QB, and sign a veteran through free agency. Kolb was a 2nd round pick, wasn't he? He hasn't been all that stellar playing for the Eagles. He has potential, but he's not worth a first or 2nd round pick. He's worth a 3rd round pick at best.

I think that Kolb is better than what he was able to show in 2010. Vick made the most of the opportunity when Kolb was out with his concussion, and Vick was a 1st round talent. When Vick (former All-Pro) was sparking the offense and was the talk of the NFL -- do you think that Reid could pull Vick to give Kolb more playing time to develop his skills? No, and the Eagles probably feel that they can get value for Kolb as a tradeable 'starter-level' QB and rely on someone else as Vick's backup.

I think in the right situation, Kolb COULD be a decent QB -- not sure about being a franchise type QB, but at least a solid QB. Biggest question for me is, how durable is he -- could he be prone to concussions similar to Warner? And what systems does he fit well? There's not enough game-time film on Kolb to confidently make a call on just how good he is.

That said, I don't think the Redskins trade for him (1) because they might be trying to rebuild with their 'own' franchise QB to market, (2) it's not clear how well Philly QBs transition from their system to Kyle Shanahan's system, and (3) the Skins may not want to give up what it might cost them to acquire Kolb from the Eagles.

I read on nfl.com today that the Eagles have said that they have been offered a 1st rounder for Kolb. Seems like a high price for an unproven backup. But then again, the Dolphins offered us a 1st for Ramsey after he was benched for Brunell. And Gibbs turned it down lol.

What???

When did the Dolphins offer us a 1st round pick for Patrick Ramsey? I don't recall that ever happening.

The Beck hype back in 2007. Same draft as Kolb. Just sayin.

I mean why trade for Kolb, it doesn't even make sense.

---------- Post added March-25th-2011 at 01:33 AM ----------

dude.. John Beck will turn 30 before this season (if there is one) starts.

He's like 1 year younger than freaking Rex Grossman. He went on 4 year religous hiatus before going to BYU as a 22 year old freshman. He was drafted in 2007 already older than Kolb is now.

i am curious what use this guy is to anyone in the NFL, especially us wasting a roster spot on him.

Yeah, but we traded for him. I will go with the Shanahan's decision. Even though they messed up with Donovan. Word is . . . Kyle was not on the Donovan bus from the jump.

Bobby Hoying and Ty Detmer but they sucked no matter who coached them

Typical Redskins fans reaction. They talk and talk about build a team like the Pats or colts or Ravens or Steelers or Packers through a strong draft but whenever a "name" is talked about the fans have to have them. Skins fans talk like they want to be like the Pats or Steelers but in reality would rather be the Florida marlins of the NFL.

Fans are like that everywhere, I'm pretty sure. I remember earlier in the season when Packers fans were calling for TT to trade for Marshawn Lynch and many were outraged when he didn't. TT stuck to his guns instead of caving to fan pressure and look where we are now.

The Beck hype back in 2007. Same draft as Kolb. Just sayin.

I mean why trade for Kolb, it doesn't even make sense.

---------- Post added March-25th-2011 at 01:33 AM ----------

Yeah, but we traded for him. I will go with the Shanahan's decision. Even though they messed up with Donovan. Word is . . . Kyle was not on the Donovan bus from the jump.

I don't think we should take the fact that we traded for Beck as any type of special endorsement of his talent or future with this team.....I just think that our FO thought Doug Dutch stunk, and saw an opportunity to get a closer look at a guy that they originally liked coming out of the draft. There's a chance they end up really liking what they see, but in reality I think its just a case of wanting to refine their QB-scouting. Now they have a chance to see a guy they liked in '07, and work with him in person, and after 3-4 years in the league, were they right about his talent?

I see it as a case of indulging their curiosity, learning something about themselves in terms of scouting ability, and maybe getting a capable back-up out of the deal. All for the low, low cost of bad CB depth that we would have cut anyways.

---------- Post added March-25th-2011 at 03:08 AM ----------

Fans are like that everywhere, I'm pretty sure. I remember earlier in the season when Packers fans were calling for TT to trade for Marshawn Lynch and many were outraged when he didn't. TT stuck to his guns instead of caving to fan pressure and look where we are now.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself, now. You've got an aging, injured Grant and a young, promising guy in Stark. But he hasn't proved himself to be an elite talent yet (but Grant wasn't either, so I'm sure he's good enough).

I don't think Lynch would have been an upgrade, necessarily, but let's not act like NOT trading for Lynch and playing Stark for a few games won you the SB.

I read on nfl.com today that the Eagles have said that they have been offered a 1st rounder for Kolb. Seems like a high price for an unproven backup. But then again, the Dolphins offered us a 1st for Ramsey after he was benched for Brunell. And Gibbs turned it down lol.

What? Seriously?

Traded for him? Sort of, we gave Baltimore a guy we were about to cut anyway and who Baltimore did cut.

Archived