Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FootballOutsiders - Worst Cornerback Charting Stats 2010 ( D. Hall #2 worst)

Champskins

So in other words Hall is a above avg. CB that gets beat just as often as he makes a big play. Darrell Green was a playmaker, Deion Sanders was a playmaker, Hall is no where near their caliber. Well he is if Cutler is QBing.

With all due respect, DG and Deion were much much more then just playmakers... they were Hall of Famers. Both of them. (deion wasn'tgreat while here though, but is still a HOFer) Thats a little bit of an unfair comparison. Not all great players make the hall of fame, however all HOFer's are great players.

Hall is a great DB that is average in coverage.

I agree though, Hall in bump and run coverage has the tendency to end up in fail.

---------- Post added March-18th-2011 at 07:39 PM ----------

Tryon is a better and younger CB than Buchanon...Shanahan fail

---------- Post added March-18th-2011 at 05:23 PM ----------

And we traded Tryon for a 7th round pick...

Buchanon is much better then Tryon, lol. he proved it last season. Did Tryon even crack the starting line up for Indy?

I believe I was debating Califan last season about who was better between Tryon or Barnes, and low and behold a few weeks later, Tryon isn't on the team anymore. Buchanon was more then servicable when filling in for either Rogers or Hall last season. It was one of our better moves to bring him here.

Well, not that I'm saying Hall is up there with those two greats, as much as I detest ME-ion; through the first 8 years of their respective careers, which Hall is now at, the numbers would suggest otherwise in terms of being a playmaker.

Hall's played in 101 games through those 8 years, with 32 interceptions for 3 TD's.

Compare that to DG, who played in 114 games his first 8 years with 24 INT's for 2 TD's; and Sanders who played in 109 games for 34 INT's, with 6 pick sixes; and by that standard Hall's right up there.

I think it's safe to say if he carry's on at this pace, he'll be as much a shoe-in for the HoF as those two monsters of the game.

Hail.

Imagine if we can get him a pass rush that's worth a ****. :)

Well, not that I'm saying Hall is up there with those two greats, as much as I detest ME-ion; through the first 8 years of their respective careers, which Hall is now at, the numbers would suggest otherwise in terms of being a playmaker.

Hall's played in 101 games through those 8 years, with 32 interceptions for 3 TD's.

Compare that to DG, who played in 114 games his first 8 years with 24 INT's for 2 TD's; and Sanders who played in 109 games for 34 INT's, with 6 pick sixes; and by that standard Hall's right up there.

I think it's safe to say if he carry's on at this pace, he'll be as much a shoe-in for the HoF as those two monsters of the game.

Hail.

DAMN YOU AND YOUR SMOKE SCREENS!!! :silly:

---------- Post added March-18th-2011 at 11:20 PM ----------

Hail.

His jersey IS already there...

[quote name=Gibbs Hog Heaven;8206623

Hall's played in 101 games through those 8 years' date=' with 32 interceptions for 3 TD's.

[/quote]

To bad TD's allowed isn't a kept stat.

QB's weren't going at Green and Sanders with anywhere near the regularity that QB's go at Hall by year 8 of their respective careers. Thus less balls a game equal fewer attempts for and total INT's. You know you can't grade out a CB's performance based solely upon INT's. Take away the Chicago game and whatever the hell Cutler was trying to do and Hall isn't a pro bowler.

I just don't understand how most on here say Hall is a playmaker yet agree that there are serious flaws in his overall game? How can one be a playmaker when he's constantly giving up just as many plays as he creates. Now don't get me wrong I think Hall is a good corner and will say he makes plays at times but a playmaker I can't agree with that. Revis is a playmaker, Asomugha is a playmaker IMO.

Hall cannot be compared to Deion and D. G. based on stats. Deion Sanders was the very definition of shut-down corner. Teams rarely threw his way, and when they did, it was because Deion got bored and baited quarterbacks by giving up a comback, hitch or slant. The dude was so gifted, he would intentionally allow routine catches just to get quarterbacks to test him, because he knew when they did, it was over. And D. G. was Deion before Deion was Deion. There is an NFL Films piece on the Giants, and Phil Simms is quoted as saying that Parcells told him that if he even as much as looked Green's direction, he'd be standing next to Parcells the rest of the game. That's the ultimate respect, the kind Hall has never garnered. Those two corners completely distorted the field and the offense's mode of attack by literally taking the best WR out of games most weeks. For all of Hall's talk and occasional big play, he gives up way too many plays of his own, especially at critical times in games. D. G. and Deion might have been the two fastest players to ever put on a football uniform. Their talent and skill set was rare. Hall does not have great speed, gets burned deep too easily and when Deion or D. G. did get beat, their make-up speed was phenomenal, something Hall doesn't possess. Hall has never been that kind of corner, and he never will be.

Hall is a great DB that is average in coverage. I agree though, Hall in bump and run coverage has the tendency to end up in fail.

This is such a great statement. DH has a very high football IQ but little brawn. This makes him high risk/high reward for opposing offenses. Rogers is so solid on the other side but he cant catch. Atogwe is a tremendous sign. A NT and a couple of OLBs makes this D work.nice.

Doesn't surprise me one bit.

With a guy that displays such a low football IQ on the field , it's to be expected.

Some would say that it's down to his football IQ that he's often in the right place at the right time to jump routes and make an oft game changing pick. But I guess if he doesn't fit your dynamic of a tough tackling, shut down corner, you'd look upon it as you have above, shrugs.

Hail.

Some would say that it's down to his football IQ that he's often in the right place at the right time to jump routes and make an oft game changing pick. But I guess if he doesn't fit your dynamic of a tough tackling, shut down corner, you'd look upon it as you have above, shrugs.

Hail.

When you can't figure out when to gamble and when not to gamble and decide to just gamble all the time, your football awareness should be questioned.

I actually thought his all-round game was a lot more solid last year, but regardless, that's the trade off with someone like Hall. High risk, high reward.

Carlos may aid to keeping you in games. DeAngelo will aid in actually winning them.

That's why players of his ilk get paid the big bucks. Love him or hate him, he's one of the very few defensive players we have that actually makes plays that change games.

Hail.

I actually thought his all-round game was a lot more solid last year, but regardless, that's the trade off with someone like Hall. High risk, high reward.

Carlos may aid to keeping you in games. DeAngelo will aid in actually winning them.

That's why players of his ilk get paid the big bucks. Love him or hate him, he's one of the very few defensive players we have that actually makes plays that change games.

Hail.

Hall's playmaking ability is a wash. Does he make plays that win games. Yep, sure does.

He also makes the plays that kill you in games.

I guess we have to agree to disagree.

:cheers:

He'll also aid in losing you games. On Mario Manningham's 92-yard TD in week 17, the Redskins sent a blitz against the Giants and left Hall in man coverage against Manningham. Deangelo got burnt, badly. In a game that was ultimately decided by 3 points, Hall gave up the game-winning TD because he couldn't play solid coverage when the Skins needed him to.

No question Joe. When DHall screws up, he normally screws up in spectacular style. What you see is what you get with him. (Although I do think the knock on his tackling is a tad harsh at times.). He's a high risk, high reward player. And with a concerted pass rush, and a partner for Landry to cover him; you'd expect the rewards to out weigh the loses over a season. I'd take a playmaking corner that's gona' give up some big plays but come up with the big INT over a solid cover player. Particularly in this scheme that is aimed at getting turnovers. The trick is matching and complimenting both styles, which we still haven't truly got in 'Los IMHO, but that's for another thread.

And DP man, it's all good. If we didn't have differing opinions and the freedom to express them openly on here, this place would be very dull indeed. :cheers:

Hail.

You don't pay Hall for lock-down coverage, though. You pay him because he allows 3-4 catches to his guy, and on the 5th time when the QB gets comfortable with it, he jumps it and takes it the other way for 6.

Or in Cutler's case, the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th time :silly:

:ols: I never saw such a game in my life. He single-handedly carried us to victory. One of the sloppiest games we've ever had as a team, and it was his career day.

Lol. The Redskins had one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year. Even good systems need to adjust to fit the players that play in it.

I don't fault the skins much for that. If you don't think the player is a long-term fit, find a new home for him.

Funny seeing people on Tryon's side when many wanted him run out of town

Archived