Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Competition committee may change kick offs-

texasthunder

A lot of the people in this thread are correct when they say that coaches will just have the kickers kick the ball higher. That's what I'd do.

That's why you should give the kicking team the option (if you change anything which I don't believe you should). If you have a strong-legged kicker, you can still kick from the 30 with TBs putting the ball on the 20. If you don't, you can kick from the 35 with TBs putting the ball on the 25. Or, you can kick from either spot and try to kick high and short.

I'd rather they just keep the ball at the 30 though.

Forget getting rid of kickoffs, let's just stop playing football alltogether, it's just far too dangerous and barbaric for this enlightened age. It's not like the players are getting well compensated for the risk they take or anything.

Yeah, not happening. If we're smart we'll limit him to punt returns anyways, and get him off of kick returns. So this potential rule change wouldn't effect him.

Thing is, teamers who don't play both ways better be big contributors elsewhere or their career is going to be short. In 2 years if he continues to be just a 1-way special teamer, BB better be the 4th or better as WR or he is gone (unless IR rules are revamped to be similar to what they were in the 70s and early 80s).

Thing is, teamers who don't play both ways better be big contributors elsewhere or their career is going to be short. In 2 years if he continues to be just a 1-way special teamer, BB better be the 4th or better as WR or he is gone (unless IR rules are revamped to be similar to what they were in the 70s and early 80s).

There are a few electric returners around the league who earn their way on the team purely for that duty, and never sniff action at WR. Banks would have to prove to be one of those few anyways, to keep such a small dude on the team. If he's not racking up yardage on returns, staying healthy, and scoring a couple times a season, you don't keep him on the team. That simple.

This isn't happening. This is just the owners throwing bones out there to try to show they are concerned about player safety while negotiations for an 18 game schedule continue. As soon as an agreement is reached this will quietly go away.

It actually would probably increase the number of injuries...the 25 yard touchback now places emphasis on high, short kickoffs, which lets the kicking team get down to the ball sooner, possibly right when the receiver is catching it...

There are holes all over this proposal.

THIS is exactly what will happen. Teams aren't going to "play by the rule" and sacrifice giving up an extra five yards. They would take advantage of the rule and kick it higher and short every time for exactly this reason and it will only lead to worse field position and the injury rate will likely stay the same.

Another problem with this rule is that they are attempting to limit the role or importance of special teams players. Several players make a team each year and really only contribute on special teams. This definitely hurts those young developmental players that make a team that way and places more of an emphasis on a guy that contributes specifically on offense and defense.

I don't see this rule as a good idea at all.

There are a few electric returners around the league who earn their way on the team purely for that duty, and never sniff action at WR. Banks would have to prove to be one of those few anyways, to keep such a small dude on the team. If he's not racking up yardage on returns, staying healthy, and scoring a couple times a season, you don't keep him on the team. That simple.

As I said in my post. None, however, last more than a couple of years before they move on, either to a new team or, more likely, out of the league.

As I said in my post. None, however, last more than a couple of years before they move on, either to a new team or, more likely, out of the league.

True. Its inevitable. To be that electric, usually they are pretty small, and depend entirely on their speed and agility. So injuries are not only easier, but pretty much kill their careers.

We should just enjoy banks while we can. It would be nice to just freeze him in Carbonite until we're competitive again, though.

They should create fair catches on kick offs. That means that anytime some tries to shank it you don't have to worry about a guy with no experience with the ball trying to deal with it. Just make sure it can only be called as the ball approaches beyond eleven yards

They should create fair catches on kick offs. That means that anytime some tries to shank it you don't have to worry about a guy with no experience with the ball trying to deal with it. Just make sure it can only be called as the ball approaches beyond eleven yards

You can already fair catch a kickoff.

Archived